Three Month Review of My 2013 Passat TDI SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought the Passat in very early May. It is the first diesel vehicle I have owned and the bottom line so far is....WOW. We have averaged 50.5 mpg with over 7000 miles on the car. You can tell from the mileage that we are using it on road trips. It has only about 15% city driving. On the road, with the exception of one wierd tank of Marathon diesel, it has faithfully delivered between 53-57 mpg. It does have the VW "auto trans" and we don't really run it over 70 mpg, usally staying around 65. When I bought it, the dealer in ALtoona, PA gave us a lifetime warranty on the drivetrain ($100 deductible and non-transferrable) for as long as we own the car. Of course, VW gives free maintenance for three years as well.

What do we like besides the great mileage?

1. Ease of starting and quiet running. You just can't believe it is a diesel. It is probably the quitest car we have ever owned.
2. The HUGE back seat where we can easily put our 17 month old grandson in his car seat without destroying our knees and lower back. To us, it was a major selling point.
3. The torque and quick acceleration are fantastic. You would never imagine that you are driving a four cylinder. On the interstate, it takes even steep hills in the highest gear.
4. The quality of the interior is nice. Not leather and wood but nicely laid out with easy to use controls and very comfortable seats with good (to us at least) lumbar support. The nav screen is quite easy to see and the background on the screen goes from bright blue to black as the sun goes down, amking it very easy to use at night.
5. Performance of the "auto trans" has been very good so far. I know that some have had trouble with these but so far, nothing but good things to say. It automatically downshifts on desvent of grades and that feature is very nice to have.
6. The trunk is huge and came with a first aid kit and four plastic corner braces that attach as you wish to the carpeted floor to provide a nest for packages so that they will not slide about. The "Ad Blue" or diesel exhaust fluid container is accessed through the passenger side of the trunk and is very easy to use.

What could be better?

1, So far, the only thing that has bugged me is one day in rural New York where the nav system literally could not figure out where we were. The screen was moving around, reminding me of the "Eye of Sauron." This only happened one time. Otherwise it has worked flawlessly. I do like the nav system showing little blue fuel pumps to indicate stations where diesel is sold and a VW dealer locator which could come in handy.

Conclusion:

If this car shows long term durability, I will probably not go back to a gasoline powered car. That decision will also depend on the quality of service I receive from the dealer. So far, no issues there at all, however. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Can a Passat TDI owner use the $2.75 a gallon DEF sold at the pump at Pilot truck stops?

TDI's easily exceed EPA highway numbers on long drives due to the slow warm up typical of diesels and the EPA highway cycle test. A test favoring gas engines cold started and ran for 765 seconds.

Originally Posted By: dsmith41
Stay tuned for the VW check engine light. Glad you love the car. My dad has a diesel Jetta and he gets great mileage too.

What? I'm on my third TDI since 06 and I have to say they have been very trouble free. ::knocks on wood::

There are always issues with every car, but my 09 was driven an average of 35k per year while I owned it. Diesel, oil changes, tires, and scheduled maint. That was it. Good luck with your passat. I have a '13 Jetta TDI and love it. Would love a Passat but don't need the bigger car at this time. It will be my next, however.

Enjoy..

I think all diesel exhaust fluid is the same. it is a solution of urea in water. However, due to warranty, I'll use VW fluid. Heck, I got a multi gallon container for $12 at a dealer and it will last me for well over a year or two.

Thanks for the review!!! Can you get the passat TDI in MT?

I REALLY wish they sold the passat TDI in a wagon form, Id even consider getting an AT if I could get a big TDI wagon...

Jetta wagon, though our friends love theirs, is too small.

Passat TDI would be awesome.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Stay tuned for the VW check engine light. Glad you love the car. My dad has a diesel Jetta and he gets great mileage too.

What? I'm on my third TDI since 06 and I have to say they have been very trouble free. ::knocks on wood::
LOL. Okay, so you've been trading in your VWs from new every three years, right? So your TDIs have been maximum 3 years old at trade-in. If they're not trouble-free within that brand-new period, then VW would lose all business. It's the people who own the cars at 14 years and 250k miles who really get to determine whether a car has been trouble-free or not. We live in different times from the 50s.

VW certainly delivers a lot of bang for the buck these days.

I don't know about your area, but in my area, there is a lot of garbage being palmed off as diesel. I don't know how you tell a good diesel station from bad, but be careful.

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
VW certainly delivers a lot of bang for the buck these days.

I don't know about your area, but in my area, there is a lot of garbage being palmed off as diesel. I don't know how you tell a good diesel station from bad, but be careful.

You can bet that someone will dream up a "top tier" diesel soon enough.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

LOL. Okay, so you've been trading in your VWs from new every three years, right? So your TDIs have been maximum 3 years old at trade-in. If they're not trouble-free within that brand-new period, then VW would lose all business. It's the people who own the cars at 14 years and 250k miles who really get to determine whether a car has been trouble-free or not. We live in different times from the 50s.

Well, my 09 had about 140k on it when I sold it. It was a warrior and I was not easy on it at all. It never missed a beat. I get your point, but I put A LOT of miles on it in a short period of time. Honestly, we have a lot of VW cars in our family and have been VERY happy with them. Never a major repair in hundreds of thousands of miles. Maybe we are lucky...I just think some need to really talk to some owners before you make a blanket statement.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

Lol. +1

140k is a lot? I'm at 2x that. But am toying (again) with moving on, my local mechanic moved and I don't know if I want to bother anymore.

We bought the VW to replace a 2003 saturn L300 which we bought new 10 years ago. It routinely gets 27 mpg so the Passat gets almost twice as much So in that sense, it really saves us fuel $$. I paid just over $29,000 for the Passat TDI and a gasser would have been about $2200 less. Plus, the trade-in on the diesel remains higher.

Diesel here is $3.80/gallon. Divide that by 50 mpg and you get $0.076/mile. Gas at $3.69 here for regular at 30 mpg (assumed average for a gas Passat)and you get over $0.123/ mile. So almost a nickel a mile more for gas. So looks like somewhere north of 40,000 miles is the breakeven.

Originally Posted By: Maximus1966
With the 3K diesel option and the higher price of fuel, have you figured your break even point?

No time flat at a 20 mpg practical delta. Diesel isn't 50%+ more expensive. It's practically the same price around here.

With the 3K diesel option and the higher price of fuel, have you figured your break even point?

This is easy enough to figure out.
They've had the car for 4 months and driven 7000 miles. If this is typical, they'd drive 21,000 miles a year. I just filled up on Sunday for 3.799/gal for regular unleaded. Diesel is 4.199/gal. Assume the 2.5L gasser would get 30 mpg as compared to the stated 50.5 mpg.

21,000 * ($3.799/gal / 30mpg) = $2659/yr for gas
21,000 * ($4.199/gal / 50mpg) = $1764/yr for diesel

The delta is $896/yr, so it'd take 3 years and 4 months to break even. By that point the car would have 70,300 miles.

This assumes, of course, that the prices of gas and diesel don't change.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

No time flat at a 20 mpg practical delta. Diesel isn't 50%+ more expensive. It's practically the same price around here.

No time flat = 3 years, 4 months ????

NJ average prices (AAA): Regular $3.564 Diesel: $3.946

I know the "new math" was introduced in the '60s, but number crunching on this site leaves a lot to be desired.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
By that point the car would have 70,300 miles.

Yup. The more you drive, the quicker you'll break even. For me, I do a whole of 5-6K miles a year. That would take 12-14 years in my case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back