Mobile 1 vs Delco UPF 44 Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO, it's pretty much a jump ball between them. They're both made by Champion Labs, and are two of the beat filters you can buy. The UltraGuard Gold filters down to about 8 microns, the Mobil1 around 10. If I remember correctly, they both use synthetic media; the Mobil1's case is a hair thicker; and M1's are readily available everywhere. The Delco's are only made in 2 or 3 sizes anymore, and are very hard to find. Two of the Corvetteforum.com's supporting vendors (L.A.P.D. and Fichener Chevrolet) seem to have the best deals on the UPF-44 for your C5.

I believe the Ultraguard Gold uses a fully synthetic media while the Mobil 1 uses a blend. The Ultraguard Gold apparently excels in cold weather flow over the Mobil 1, at least according to AC Delco. But honestly, it's so hard to know the truth when it comes to oil filters, because unlike oil analysis, there is no easy way to test a filter like there is with different oils.

Is AC Delco still producing the ultragard gold UPF-44 oil filter?
dunno.gif
I hope so, as my new Suburban calls for The PF-44 filter on the 5.3L engine.

Yes, the UPF44 is definitely still in production. You can thank the C5 Corvette owners for that, they spoke up loudly enough that Champion Labs decided to continue making them.

In addition to the UPF 44, the UPF52 seems also still in production (LT1/4 Corvette). Rockautoparts also still has a rest supply on Ultraguard UPF 58s in store......unfortunately there never was a UPF59 available......

Patman, did Delco discontinue some of the UPF filters because champion labs stopped making them?? Or was it Delco's decision to stop selling these because of lack of demand?
quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Yes, the UPF44 is definitely still in production. You can thank the C5 Corvette owners for that, they spoke up loudly enough that Champion Labs decided to continue making them.

The UPF59's were available for a while. I bought a case. Only have two left. If I had known that they were going to quit making them I would have ordered 3 or 4 cases. I don't think AC Delco marketed these filters correctly. They were never advertized. Only the dealers and AC Delco distributors had them here. I had to order the ones I got through a distributor. Dealers were charging over $13.00 each. I got mine for $8.00 each. Maybe they will start making them again if there is enough demand. I guess we need to flood AC Delco with e-mails.

quote:

Originally posted by Alex D:
Patman, did Delco discontinue some of the UPF filters because champion labs stopped making them?? Or was it Delco's decision to stop selling these because of lack of demand?
quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

Champion stopped making them because Delco stopped ordering them. Demand was always slack because GM and/or Delco's marketing of the UltraGuards sucked canal water - i.e. availability limited to dealers and, I believe, Pep Boys.

Here is an email I got from AC Delco:

quote:

Thanks for taking the time to write ACDelco.
The ACDelco ULTRAGUARD Oil Filters are being discontinued due to a lack of sales. We apologize for
the inconvenience.

Thank you for your interest in ACDelco.

ACDelco Customer Assistance

They definitely made a mistake by only selling them in very select locations.

No, the UPF44s are still available! Sorry I didn't include the second email I got from AC Delco on the subject:

quote:

Thanks for taking the time to write ACDelco.
At this time, we are discontinuing the ULTRAGUARD GOLD line of filters. However, we will continue
to maintain the UPF44 for Corvette owners. We understand your need for a performance product of
this type and we are listening to our customers. Rest assured, we will continue to provide this
product both now and into the future.

This was from Jan 2002 by the way.

Patman,

Where are you getting that the UPF44 filters are still available? I just checked with Champion Labs and they told me that they have not manufactured these in about a year. I also checked with a local supplier and they are not available. Please let me know if you have a source where I can get them.

Thanks,

westex

Patman,

I just got this e-mail from AC Delco.

Thank you for writing ACDelco.

You may still get the UPF44, but only from the dealerships at this time.

Just got this one back too.

Thank you for writing ACDelco.

They were stopped because of the low sales, but at this time they are
considering bringing a few of them back because of the high demand.
Unfortunately they have not told us when and which ones they are bring
back. We suggest that you keep checking every few months to see if they
have brought back the one you are seeking. We at this time do still have
the UPF44 and UPF52.

ACDelco Customer Assistance.

I also just checked with the local dealership and thy have 6 in stock. Cost $10.64 each.

Regards,

westex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back