open oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i want to open my oil filter and see what it caught...yet my dremel tool is broken can i use a saw blade that cuts metal?? how do i open it...what should i look for..i just chagned to bosch filter from fram so i want to see it =)..

If you can find the right sized can opener, or it's not yours (like the flatmate I didn't like) try that.

Otherwise I use a cold chisel, clamp the filter (however it seems best), and try to do the least amount of damage.

Sawing/grinding makes a lot of black messy crap to clean up.

I've used a hacksaw in the house with a ***well drained*** filter and a lot of newspapers to catch the filings. It didn't make too big of a mess or take too long. Nothing happened that made me regret doing it.

I like to hold 'em the pipe vise and carefully cut 'em open....but that pales in comparison to:

quote:

I've used a hacksaw in the house.....

I sorta enjoy my married life
grin.gif
blush.gif
if you know what I mean...

Have you guys seen the pipe-cutter versions? Very clean but it seemed like too complex a mousetrap, especially for the $70 one online source was asking.

I've used hand & powered saws, nibblers, and shears, but now stick to a die grinder. With proper finesse there's no visible debris added to the filter and the entire job takes
David

If you have a vise with good jaws you can simply hook the base lip into the vice and peel the lip away from the base plate and then pull the internals out. This is excellent if you don't want to contaminate your filter media with metal filings. It takes more time than the hacksaw method but gives a decent result.

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
Freeze the filter before you open it---that'll slow the drips and splatter.

Ken

Yea good idea. I just drill a hole in the bottom and let it drain for a few hours. I use a hacksaw and a vice. Just don't saw through the whole thing. Cut around the shell.

An old screwdriver and a hammer works for me, couldn't find a chisel. Now I know for sure that Saturns/Frams are poopy filters.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back