OReilly's Microguard no longer Fram, going Wix

Status
Not open for further replies.
O"Reilly is planning to change Monday morning, Sept 9, to have Wix make their Microguard filters. They are getting relabled to Wix SKU numbering.

About two years ago O'Reilly decided to quit using Purolator and switched to Fram. Along with the change "training" was required explaining the switch, scheduled in advance. There was a measurable amount of concern at the time by experienced countermen. I, for one, didn't like it, but since I was no longer using their product (ask me about the $1,800 I think they still owe me,) I simply didn't recommend them if it was a Ford motor.

The previous events that had caused us to be concerned were based on a large number of issues with oil pressure in motors. At the time, it was street talk they had moved a plant to Mexico and things weren't turning out so well. Once Fram was able to convince Autozone there were no issues, they brought them back into their stores. They were not on the shelf when I was working there, I got to add them back to the planogram. How ironic.

There is now some street talk the filters are not being made in this hemisphere, and one crate motor builder has posted up their opinion that the owner's use of a Fram contributed to an engine failure. They contend it was caused by the filter internally disintgrating and clogging a passage, causing the main bearings to fail.

There is no training scheduled for this change - I speculate we don't need to be convinced of Wix filter reliability.

If you know specific facts that can illuminate this unannounced and unanticipated change, please chime in. We really don't need it to be a rehash of yore, I'm over it.

As soon as they send a check for $1,800.

Ok, let's hear the $1800 story.
grin.gif
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: tirod

There is now some street talk the filters are not being made in this hemisphere, and one crate motor builder has posted up their opinion that the owner's use of a Fram contributed to an engine failure. They contend it was caused by the filter internally disintgrating and clogging a passage, causing the main bearings to fail.

That sounds like the classic ecore melt down, not a Fram.

At any rate it would be an awesome thing to see Microgards made by Wix. As it is now the O'Reilly OCI specials are off the table for me as the ecore Microgards make it a NO DEAL. Although it's been a while since they've done a really good OCI special, I can usually do better at Wally's with a Puro Classic sale or not. O'Reillys has been good for clearance lately though.

I hope your right but I wont believe it till I see it.large corporations buy by price And as long as fram sells them filters cheaper than anybody else things wont change.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I hope your right but I wont believe it till I see it.large corporations buy by price And as long as fram sells them filters cheaper than anybody else things wont change.

While true, O"Reilly'S has been going higher end now for a while, so this does not surprise me one bit.

I remember the first O'Reilly's I went to had a Wix filter and Fram filter cut open to show the difference. The counter person pointed out how well Wix was made compared to Fram.

Fast forward to a few month ago. I used a Fram/Microguard from an oil special in my 99 SL2. Engine sounded fine. Did not blow up. I am using an STP Ecore now. Maybe I should pick some lottery numbers? I feel lucky.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
O"Reilly'S has been going higher end now for a while, so this does not surprise me one bit.

I noticed this too. It will be nice to have somebody else competing on the NAPA level instead of slugging it out with AZ and AAP.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
WooHooo, doing away with cardboard end caps and going to metal end caps!
27.gif
28.gif

Who said so? Will have to verify by cut and inspect procedure.
grin.gif

I work at a oreilly hub, i saw them come in our shipment with a new part number, i opened one box up and it definitely is a wix oil filter, and AIR filter, yup the air filters are also going wix. Once i saw the immediate change i was like yesssss! I assume the microgaurd wix will be the same product as the napa silver line

Well, there's "Wix" and "Napa Gold" and then there's Wix 'made for' which is "a horse of different color." Auto Extra is 'Wix made' but many/most posted here use a nitrile combo valve design, same for many Napa ProSelect. So, if the new MG shows up with a nitrile combo valve then it's trading one combo valve design for another but with metal end caps. If it uses traditional Wix thread end bypass and separate adbv, then that would different. But based on the MG being lower tier filter, we'll have to see. Imo, the MG will most like the lowest tier AE and Napa Pro Select.

And going through Bitog threads, the MG change from Purolator made dates back to at least February of 2010. This will be the third manufacturer change in three years, thinking low bidder. Don't know where it will be made but some Wix 'made fors' are made in Mexico, again time will time.

But it appears Rank losing another customer after losing K&N.

O"Reilly is planning to change Monday morning, Sept 9, to have Wix make their Microguard filters. They are getting relabled to Wix SKU numbering.

About two years ago O'Reilly decided to quit using Purolator and switched to Fram. Along with the change "training" was required explaining the switch, scheduled in advance. There was a measurable amount of concern at the time by experienced countermen. I, for one, didn't like it, but since I was no longer using their product (ask me about the $1,800 I think they still owe me,) I simply didn't recommend them if it was a Ford motor.

The previous events that had caused us to be concerned were based on a large number of issues with oil pressure in motors. At the time, it was street talk they had moved a plant to Mexico and things weren't turning out so well. Once Fram was able to convince Autozone there were no issues, they brought them back into their stores. They were not on the shelf when I was working there, I got to add them back to the planogram. How ironic.

There is no training scheduled for this change - I speculate we don't need to be convinced of Wix filter reliability.

If you know specific facts that can illuminate this unannounced and unanticipated change, please chime in. We really don't need it to be a rehash of yore, I'm over it.

If you were "over" it, you wouldn't be still talking about it.

Once Fram was able to convince Autozone there were no issues, they brought them back into their stores. They were not on the shelf when I was working there, I got to add them back to the planogram.
When was this? I don't ever remember seeing my local AZ without their half a wall of orange.

...and let's hear the $1800 story...

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen

If you were "over" it, you wouldn't be still talking about it.

He didn't get his $1800 yet ...
35.gif
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
WooHooo, doing away with cardboard end caps and going to metal end caps!
27.gif
28.gif

Nope, they are ecores now they used to be Frams.

So they are actually going from "poorly glued felt endcaps" (ecore) to metal endcaps.

Like you said, woohoo! Even if the new Microgards are Wix's cheapies it is an upgrade!

^^^^The current (pre Wix announcement) MG's are afaik all Champ design, similar to current Wally TLE and Firestone oil filters. Likely the same as the old Wally Super Tech line.

It's true that some are not ecores like the 7317 linked which is a 3" diameter filters are ecore like the common MGL3614. Some are not though.

Imo, the non ecore MG's would be a wash compared to the new Wix made filter assuming the Wix doesn't use a combo valve. If the Wix has a combo valve then I'd choose the non ecore Champ like the ST7317. Just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back