VStar 1100 - Rotella T 5W-40 - High metal ~3000mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Results are from several weeks back, figured I would post them. I'm hoping the majority of the metal is from my brand new cams I installed roughly 800 miles before switching to this oil. I ran conventional castrolGTX and took it pretty easy while on that oil - then started to run alot harder after switching.. Right now running Rotella t 5W-40 until I hit 1500 miles, gonna get another analysis then and see how it looks ... Got ~3 quarts of Motul Twin-Syn 20w-50 for a good price so gonna run that next..UOA shows averages for 2600 miles, I had about 3000-3100

Other info: Cams are hard welded cams, not original billet, valves were set correctly...Engine is a 1063cc v-twin, SOHC, oversquare
Here is a link to the report:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/BigPhish11731/Untitled_zps1e25ade1.png

Untitled_zps1e25ade1.png

Last edited:
imho i would have only gone 500mi on that oil and dumped it after the cams were broken in and then maybe taken a sample.

flash is very nice...no fuel
susvis is low (30wt)

Yikes, as typical with Rotella 5/40 you are really running a 5/30. Not a bad thing if you want a 30. Whether or not it would have made any difference I dont know but i just cringe with shared sump bikes that use a 5/40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back