It is time to change my 2013 Soul's oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!

I know my vehicle can use an oil change right now; I have had it for 10 months now and have a little over 6000 miles on it. I do not really have any preferences about where I want to buy it or what kind I want to buy (synthetic or conventional); I do, however, want this oil change to last me another 5000-6000 miles.

With that being said, here are all the other details to help you all help me
smile.gif

1. The vehicle is a 2013 Kia Soul (1.6L engine)
2. As far as what types of oil my vehicle can take, the owner's manual says "API Service SM or above/ILSAC GF-4 or above" for "Classification". As for viscosity, the manual recommends 5W-20 (5W-30) or 10W-30.
3. I live in Texas (DFW area).
4. I am generally an easy driver. I am usually able to not go above 3k RPM while accelerating.
5. My daily drive is not very consistent; I work for a big school district which requires that I do a regular amount of driving for what I do. This could mean a lot of short, 2-5 mile trips to schools or a more regular 10-15 mile trip to a single school and back after work. My driving outside work is more consistent; it's at least 10-15 miles to anywhere I want/need to go for whatever reason. All that driving can be highway or city driving as well; I do a good amount of both.
6. Lastly, I am not aware of any problems my vehicle has.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I appreciate any advise you have to give me!

Welcome SoulPower, as you can already tell you are going to get a bunch of different opinions. If your Soul has a Oil Change meter (or maintenance reminder, or what ever you want to call it). Then any oil that meets the API specs that you already know will be just fine. Personally I would run a good synthetic down to 10% of when the maintenance reminder tells you to change and sleep easy.

Some good and easy to find synthetics are Pennzoil Platinum, any Castrol synthetic, Quaker State synthetics, Mobil 1 products, even store brand synthetics are pretty good. If you choose to run conventional oil, I would take the maintenance reminder down to 25% and change with a good conventional. Good luck and feel free to ask lots of questions.

PS - I would check the UOA (used oil analysis) forum here to see if anyone with the same type engine has any experience with different oils.

Thank you everyone for your input! I will go ahead and take these suggestions and see what will work best for me. I definitely plan to stick with the OEM filter for right now, especially reading about problems people have had with aftermarket variants. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back