The best magnetic solution?!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check this oil filter magnet out. I have looked long and far to finally find this magnet.

http://www.filtermag.com/

Interesting to read about the power of neodymium magnets (not just on this site...I Googled around to find more out about these magnets and it seems they are by far the most powerful static magnets on earth) and why they are the only ones that are sufficient to actually atract and hold metal shavings down to 2 microns.

[ December 17, 2002, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: Alex D ]

$80!
spaz.gif

Interesting they've found a market. For $80 you could line the entire oil pan with cheap magnets and catch a lot more. Suppose with an unlimited budget both would be better, and bypass filtration, and a centrifuge...
wink.gif

Old threads on magnets:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000185

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000125

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000022

Edit: BTW, that last one is specifically about this product.

Flux amplifier. Heh.
grin.gif

David

[ December 18, 2002, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: OneQuartLow ]

quote:

Oil filters don't stop the metal contaminates that cause engine wear,and that's a fact

Dang - I guess I need to bag the oil filter....he said metal (not just iron) and the whole statement and well he lost me....

That said I made my own by potting a large curved Neodymium maggot in RTV silicone...does it work? Dunno.

Funny thing is we try to pride ourselves on the thickness of our oil filter shells......and then stick a maggot on the outside...hmmm???

I know !! It surprised me too......but then I looked at the web and saw how expensive neodymium magnets are ........ wasn't surprised after that anymore.....
quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
$80!
spaz.gif

OK, I've got several hard disk drive magnets. (Keep 'em away from people with pacemakers. Really.) In the past, I've used them in various positions around the filter as well as on the drain plug. Since my filter has the anti-drainback valve on the closed end, I figgerd I didn't want it there collecting junk which might get in the way of the valve.

I'm not using any on the filter right now (I'm only using them to destroy the stripe info on defunct credit cards), but I've wondered about this:
If the filter's near electronic componentry, what's the chance of hi-energy magnets creating enough EMF to mess with anything? Is anything under the hood sensitive enough to be affected by these things?

Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by Greg Netzner:
If the filter's near electronic componentry, what's the chance of hi-energy magnets creating enough EMF to mess with anything? Is anything under the hood sensitive enough to be affected by these things?

Thanks.

In short, no. You would need 2 things to cause a problem. 1. The magnet would have to be quite close to the electronics. Even for strong magnets, the field strength falls off rapidly with distance. 2. The field would have to be fluctuating to induce a current in the circuitry. A static field does nothing.

I think I am highly interested here. Couple of points. The one for my Nissan is only $40
grin.gif
. I wonder if this magnet will dramatically lower the iron concentration in an oil analysis. If so you could possibly be looking at distorted numbers. The oil could be doing a bad job and the engine wearing due to increased silicon and yet the iron would be good.
confused.gif

However the advantages of removing lots of particles probably in the 5 micron range has to be a good thing.

I may bite on this thing.
grin.gif

Oh I wonder if the alloy of chromium used in the piston rings is magnetic. I'm guessing that it is
confused.gif

[ December 20, 2002, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: Al ]

quote:

Originally posted by Al:

Oh I wonder if the alloy of chromium used in the piston rings is magnetic. I'm guessing that it is
confused.gif

I don't know about the alloy, but I believe chromium itself is one of the 4 naturally occuring ferromagnetic elements. The other 3 are iron, nickel, and gadolinium.

Another thing I've never seen any data on is whether or not the atomic metal in solution which is measured by a spectroscopic analysis can be removed by a simple magnet. The atoms themselves should have a natural magnetic field, but unless in crystal form with many more atoms, (say 10^17 or more) the field is probably far too weak for a normal magnet to affect. Maybe a superconducting magnet would be strong enough to clean individual atoms out of solution. It could also magnetize the whole engine making filter magnets unnecessary.
shocked.gif

While not trying to promote magnetic filters, just read an interesting article in the latest issue of Diesel Progress titled "Advances in Magnetic Oil Filtration" which addresses the effectivenes of these systems. The article quotes a study done by One Eye Industries incolving a Cummins N-14 engine. What they came up with was to show a range of improvements in reducing particle counts depending upon the particle size. For 5-micron particles, the presence of magnets reduced the count by 75.4% whereas for 25-micron particles, the reduction realized with magnets was 42.9%.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:

confused.gif

Isn't the chromium just one of the alloying elements in the iron piston rings?

Ken

On a much older older thread an individual said Filter-Mag is a Sham.

I REJECT THAT OPINION AND STAND.

In fact i can not cite the exact article but in 1998 or 1999 GM High Tech magazine installed a filter mag on monster 500ci BB Chevy and then drove it on some sort of long distance endurance tour. The tore down the filter and to much surprise thier was a well defined ring of ferrous material clinging to the area corresponding to the magnets position.

Case in point, metal was in the oil and got stopped by the magnet. Presumably some of those metal chunks could have easily torn through the filter media to wreck havoc on the bearings.

MY OPINION STANDS, MAGNETS TO CATCH FERROUS MATERIALS ARE NO SHAM.

Perhaps the poster suggests gravity is also a "Sham"

Sunil-

quote:

Originally posted by Tommy:
It is a wonder that no one thought of this ten years ago!

http://www.emergingent.com/magnefine/force_field.htm

Tommy,

I am going to order their Forcefield as soon as they get them in stock for my truck. I do have the Magnefine for the trans on one truck and the Vandal Alert (Cyclops) on another. Top products from this company and I see no reason that the Forcefield will perform any less than advertised.

quote:

Originally posted by outrun:

Case in point, metal was in the oil and got stopped by the magnet. Presumably some of those metal chunks could have easily torn through the filter media to wreck havoc on the bearings.
Sunil-

Yes, magnets on a filter catch some ferrous material. I don't agree with your presumption of that material tearing through the filter media. It may be particles small enough to pass through the media, and all particles will pass the bypass valve when it's open, but engines often run multi-hundreds of thousands of miles with nothing but an ordinary oil filter. Yes, a magnet might help reduce engine wear, but I don't think a catastrophe is imminent if we don't have a magnet.

Ken

Chromium is -definitely- magnetic. Chromium dioxide was the magnetic emulsion on some audio cassete tapes, and most VHS video tapes originally. Because of Chromium's expense and alleged abrasion on record/playback heads, most current tape formulations listed as "Chrome-type" are really cobalt-doped ferrous oxide. Chromium has very high coercivity properties which in tape applications results in the necessity for a higher bias current and erase current. This means it's harder to initially magnetize true chromium tape, but once done, it's also harder to erase it.

Ray Haeffele

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back