Meguire's Aficionados

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Can anyone tell me the difference between Meguire's NXT Generation Tech Wax and their Ultimate Liquid Wax? The website wasn't very informative at all. I generally use the NXT on my vehicles however my retailer had the Ultimate Liquid on sale this week so I bought that instead. I have a corollary question as well... the Ultimate came in two formats, liquid and paste... what is the difference in terms of application / benefits etc.? The product will be used on both signature vehicles.

Thanks,

Marc

Paste works better for hand-application (easier to control the consistency and quantity). Liquid is more for machine-application, but it really comes down to personal preference.

Durability wise Ultimate Liquid lasts longer, but on looks many are hooked on NXT.
Both very easy to use.

The best way to get an idea of what the Ultimate Wax offers versus the NXT wax would be to view them as an evolving product line.

When it was developed, NXT was a very good wax which offered advancements in protection that previous waxes did not have. The Ultimate Wax would represent the same concept with respects to NXT.

NXT is great, but Ultimate improves upon what NXT does and probably does some new things NXT does not.

In a few years, there will be a successor to the Ultimate line, and it will be even better than Ultimate and likely blow NXT away.

In reality, you cannot go wrong using either wax, and I doubt you will notice a significant difference between the two from one waxing to the next. Keeping the vehicle waxed is the main thing; which one of the waxes from Meguiars you use is of lesser importance.

Nuke

Absolutely. Some slam the durability of NXT. That's probably fair. However, I find the product so easy to use, I don't mind waxing even once a month of necessary. It takes an hour on the G (and the same on the Audi when I had it). The F-150 is a different matter, and that's why each vehicle I own is getting progressively smaller.
wink.gif

I am one of their targeted customer but I do know how the game is played. Unfortunately, I still can not help playing it.

Smart customer will buy a product and use it until it is completely used up. That would mean the bottle would last for years. But with that approach, the company would not survive at all. Customers who are looking for that next best thing are what keeps a company in business.

Originally Posted By: The_Nuke
The best way to get an idea of what the Ultimate Wax offers versus the NXT wax would be to view them as an evolving product line.

Nuke

Ok thanks. The Meguire's website offered no information on the difference at all. I think I will buy another bottle of the Ultimate today, the sale price is pretty good. By the time I use these two bottles up I am sure something new will be out.

First off neither one is actually a wax, both are synthetic products. Megs touts the Ultimate Liquid Wax as their longest lasting with best shine. NXT looks nice for a short time and poops out quickly. Having tried it myself I gave it away. In my mind the Ultimate Liquid would HAVE to be better although I have not used it. Other benefits are it can be used in the sun and will not stain trim if wiped off reasonably quickly.

Originally Posted By: marc1
Originally Posted By: The_Nuke

Nuke

Ok thanks. The Meguire's website offered no information on the difference at all. I think I will buy another bottle of the Ultimate today, the sale price is pretty good. By the time I use these two bottles up I am sure something new will be out.

If you can find the Ultimate Wax for less than the NXT, grab it. If you cannot find a good deal on either, and both of their prices are within a few dollars of each other, get the Ultimate Wax - it will be a better bang for your buck.

Beyond the price/value aspect, everything else is subjective. What you perceive to be a pro about one could be a con for someone else. Take any anecdotal evidence with a grain of salt.

Now having said that, I will be the first person to seek out reviews from others when making my decisions on buying new products. The AutoGeek forums are a good place for that; you may find some interesting info there:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/68512-meg-s-ultimate-wax.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/65845-maguires-ultimate-wax.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-...-nxt-2-0-a.html

Nuke

I have used both, and still have some of the NXT although yesterday I used the Ultimate for the first time to try it.

The last time I used the NXT was at least 9 months ago, and it still shined and kept the water in little bubbles. But I had noticed when applying it that it was a little rough, although shiny.

So in January my son suggested the clay bar, and I smuggled it in my suitcase with some of the Ultimate on my last trip north.

Yesterday I used the clay bar and then the Ultimate. 2 hours in total for wash, clay, polish. You can see for yourself how it came out.

A couple of hours later I was approached by a TV crew, who videoed the car and my tale of its restoration. Will be aired next weekend.

I went for the Ultimate from comments on the Meguiar's forum. The have really nice help on that site.

This is my 5 year old paint job.

Corvair_polished.jpg

Which TV show would it air on? Can we tune it on the internet? I have always been a fan of your incredible work.

I will agree with the above notions of NXT being super-easy to work with. The spray-on NXT wax is almost unbeatable for ease of application, though it's only good for short-term protection (1-2 weeks).

I've never tried NXT in spray. The liquid still looked good 9 months later, although I garage it most nights, so your results may vary.

I use NXT and it is easy to use and gives a great shine but I dont think it is a durable as some others out there. My Jeeps are garaged but the Sun and Rain is really strong down here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back