Horrible experience...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's just a short summary of my experience at Stevinson Toyota East in Colorado. Judge for yourself:

After negotiating with multiple dealerships all week, I thought I was going to walk away without a new car. The numbers just weren't where I wanted them to be. After thinking I was done, a salesman from Stevinson Toyota (an excellent guy by the way- could not have been more happy with him) texted me and made me an offer that was exactly what I was looking for. He texted me the specific vehicle's information, mileage (new) etc and everything was perfect. I texted him we had a deal, for an OTD price, and he confirmed the numbers and it was done! Everything was in writing via text, was an OTD deal, and I left to go buy the car as agreed upon.

I got to the dealership and everything was great. As they took my trade in and key and started to finalize paperwork, I saw some "movement" up on the manager perch. There was some strange bustling around but I shrugged it off. My salesman had me initial the deal, and I declined an extended warranty, and things were looking great- great deal, great service, couldn't have been more happy.

Then I saw more bustling around and the two salesman came back and they had the GM with them. As soon as we sat down, I knew something was wrong. Both salesman were clutching their hands and seemed shell shocked. My original salesman actually looked ANGRY. The other salesman had that "Oh [censored], here we go again" look.

The GM then started in on some canned, pre-rehearsed 'We appreciate your business as a return customer, we'd really like to earn your business...blah blah blah....but at some point this deal just doesn't make sense for us.' Uhhhh, WHAT?! I asked if he meant the negotiation for the extended warranty as I was in disbelief- even for a dealership. The GM said 'no'. I confirmed that he is actually trying to get out of a deal agreed upon- in writing and on a specific car.

I immediately informed him of 'bait and switch' laws and advised him my attorney can be there within the hour. He wouldn't even give me a copy of the agreement or a business card- nothing. I quickly took out my cell phone and took a photo of the "contract" and he snatched it away. I asked to speak to whoever is above him and he flatly denied me. He started to really lose his cool because he now knows he really messed up. He asked to see the texts between his salesman and I and I showed him. He then tried to touch my phone and I tell him to 'not touch' and he walked off.

During all this, both salesman are fuming. One has slammed his pen on the table and both are holding their heads like 'not again'! You know when the salesman are just as angry as you that something has gone sideways big time. One of the salesman went to talk to the manager to try to salvage the sinking ship. At this point, the manager knew I was on the phone with my attorney.

The salesman came back and said the deal is on but for $135 more. The civil and criminal remedies for this type of action exist to protect consumers in exactly this type of situation so I agreed knowing I have legal recourse. During the final paperwork, another $499 is added as a supposed extra dealer fee and "profit"- again violating the OTD price agreed upon. After hours of this treatment, I sign the contract, under duress, and intend to exercise my legal rights so I don’t lose the vehicle I originally had a deal to purchase. My salesman actually left the dealership for a while he was so livid at how I was treated(apparently he chose to leave the dealership entirely after all this).

My attorney was able to reverse the entire deal because I ultimately chose not to do business with Stevinson no matter what the "deal". I returned their car and picked up my trade-in vehicle happy to not be associated with Stevinson Toryota in any way. I have written this not out of spite or revenge but as a simple account of how I was treated at Stevinson Toyota East for those considering where to take their business, how they would like to be treated, and what type of business practices they choose to support.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found Honda very difficult to deal with, but ended up getting a really good deal.

Sometimes someone that has a lot of seniority but little brains can really mess a deal up.

It is best that you just decided to not do business with them.

Sometimes you run into a place that is super easy to do business with, and they always get my repeat business.

I had a similar experience. Too bad for them but if they were smart they would treat you right and have a customer for life. I guess they dont care. Well guess what? i dont care bout them either. The benefit of having other competition! Find somewhere else..or find out where that sales guy went...

I would have taken the vehicle and the extra dollars that were BlackMaled and said screw this delaer and never go back unless under a new GM. As it stands, the GM won, he has the vehicle you wanted and you've spent the time. A lose-lose situation for you. Ed

I have my integrity- win win. I'm giving Toyota corporate a chance to respond but I doubt anything will come of it. I still have a great car and more money in the bank. I couldn't lose.

You were smart and correct to walk. I have had this happen twice in my years of purchasing cars, and neither dealer has seen me since. There are much better dealerships out there who deserve your business.

This is why I took my Mom all the way to Frankfort, KY, about 65 or so miles south of here to buy her new '06 Matrix back in '06-every Toyota dealer she talked to here was trying to charge her full sticker or close to it, some even trying to sell her a leftover '05! They don't call them "stealerships" for nothing!

Good for you. I hate stealerships and nothing they do surprises me, very greasy stuff.

On the other hand unless you have free legal representation or you're lawyer is very cheap, by using a lawyer you must have incurred cost?

I think of lawyers as higher educated and paid car salesmen. Same greasy gene pool.Who wins.........always the lawyers.

In my town, a cheap lawyer is $200 bucks an hour, and a decent one $400-$600/hr. Not easy to throw out the 'I'm going to call my lawyer here'.

As soon as the GM came into the office I would have started recording every word that came out of his forked tongue mouth.

It was great that you snapped a photo of the original contract as well .

I would have kept leading them on regarding the extra 135$ and just kept stalling them...for a long time...

You would have won after a couple of more hours.

But this kind of [censored] is why $tealerships have the horrible reputation they have. With a few exceptions they all deserve it.

Fortunately the attorney was at no cost. I actually could have gotten the $135 part back or gone to court (my attorney thought it was a very strong case they would not have actually went to court over). In the end, I felt I made the choice that was consistent with the more important set of beliefs I choose to live by. I wouldn't accept a free vehicle from them. I wouldn't blame others for making another choice, this was just the one I made.

Plus, my '05 Accord has only 58,000 miles and is immaculate. I can just wait for whatever deal pops up...maybe a Passat TDI
wink.gif
Is Volkswagen listening?

Definitely report that to your BBB and write a review on Yelp. Dealerships who do this need to learn that people won't let them get away with it.

Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy
You were smart and correct to walk. I have had this happen twice in my years of purchasing cars, and neither dealer has seen me since. There are much better dealerships out there who deserve your business.

I agree.
I bought my last several cars online, I didn't have any problem when I went to dealers to sign paper works. The only thing I hate but could not do much is $35 documentation fee at every dealer in So Cal.

The last Toyota Camry I bought for my friend's sister I tried to offer $35 less than the lowest quote I got, but the sale lady didn't budge.

Straatmann Toyota in Washington, MO was one of the dealers I called when I decided to switch from Nissan to Toyota in 1994. No dealer is close. On the phone, they were $2,000 lower than the other two that would give a quote over the phone. It is over an hour drive, but we went. I had never been near the place and seldom in their town. We got there looked at the car. Took it for a spin and went in to buy. It wasn't my first rodeo, so I was wondering. He said write me a check for the phone quote and I'll give you the keys and title application. I did. He did. We walked out in five minutes.

Same story in 2003 and 2012. The price is always rock bottom. I'm sold on those guys. That is where I plan to go for my next car. Also, the younger son has been looking at Toyota now that he graduated and got a job. I think he will drive out from the city to see how they deal with him. Apparently others are also. Every time we go over there, their lot seems to be bigger and have more vehicles.

We don't have unlimited funds, so I make an automatic withdrawal to a savings account every month. We are paying now for our planned 2021 purchase. By the time 2021 comes around, we should have the funds necessary to write another check.

They do my maintenance work if it is beyond me or the local mechanic. In 19 years, it has been minimal. One steering column repack or something on the 2003 and one transmission flush and ATF on the same car. We still have all three cars and they work well. The 1994 has been driven by the younger son for nine years. The 2003 is driven by the wife or I. The 2012 is pampered and taken on longer trips.

Sorry for your bad luck. Hope you find a good dealer for your purchase.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Definitely report that to your BBB and write a review on Yelp. Dealerships who do this need to learn that people won't let them get away with it.

Oh,they absolutely FEAR this more than anything it seems. I've written plenty of nasty (and true) reviews of places like this and often times the owner will call and ask what they could do to change my opinion of them. I usually say, not creating the problem in the first place is where to start. LOL

I love reading the $tealership
"letters to the editor" in the trade publication called "Automotive News", where plenty of dealers write in to tell how they wake up every morning thinking of ways to "satisfy the customer", and how "the current system of franchised dealerships is the best way to meet the customer's needs".
crackmeup2.gif
crazy2.gif
lol.gif
33.gif
29.gif
31.gif
37.gif

I think a lot of it has to do with the arrogance of a lot of Toyota and Honda folks that their cars just sell themselves and they dont need to make your deal today. The salesman DOES, but if there is another schmuck willing to fleece or pay through the nose for a car because they are duped into some sense of security, then what does the GM have to care? He will make his salary and numbers, and all is well. The salesman may not be as lucky.

Im just curious why after the hassle, you agreed to sign. Now you have a lawyer's bill to get you out of it, and your deal will have to be that much better to get you out of the $139 or whatever the difference was.

Sounds like youve not had luck at the price point you want, so the market has spoken. It does take persistence, but perhaps are you actually TOO low?

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

I've written plenty of nasty (and true) reviews of places like this and often times the owner will call and ask what they could do to change my opinion of them. I usually say, not creating the problem in the first place is where to start. LOL

Where do you put these "reviews" that your contact info is accessible and they actually contact you back?

Unless you we were paying cash they would have still made money on the back end of the deal. I am still surprised the gm refused the deal. Bad business if you ask me.
I would contact the owner and inform him/her or them about your expierence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back