Best lubricant for Pine Wood Derby Competition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am competing in a Pine Wood Derby contest for adults only and there is no restriction on the type of lubricant I can use. There still is a weight restriction.
Any suggestions? I really wan't to win. Anything better than graphite?

I don't know. Always had to abide by Cub Scout Rules.

I think the dry lube works pretty well. I think it's more in the machining of the axles and weight placement

a lot of time polishing and trueing the axles and the inner wheel surface and a little graphite.

My son's cars are fairly unpleasant to look at, but they win.

The sibling/parent open class cars were the only thing faster and they were from pre-cut kits and probably had professionally machined teflon coated axles.

pinewood.jpg

Always had the best luck with dry graphite lube here; but polishing everything to insanely fine tolerances is where you make your money. You want absolutely no looseness, which can translate into vibration.

Get that solid and a little graphite will let it glide like butter.

Yes I will polish the wheels and axles. I did that with my son's car several years ago and he took first. i spend a lot of time on the wheels.

Amsoil. Oh, wait yeah the graphite/dry lube will probably do best.

Alignment of the wheels also; if they're only a bit off that will make a good bit of drag.

I've seen tiny bottles of Krytox and very highly polished axles on EBay. In my experience, Krytox has very little (close to no) stiction compared to other lubricants. I only have experience applying it to old rubber door and trunk seals though, where it makes an old car silent again.

We used to make it so the car only ran on 3 of the 4 wheels to reduce drag by tilting one wheel up about 1/16".

Also, to make weight we would hollow out the underside, melt lead into the cavity, then seal it flush again.

Originally Posted By: cchase
We used to make it so the car only ran on 3 of the 4 wheels to reduce drag by tilting one wheel up about 1/16".

Also, to make weight we would hollow out the underside, melt lead into the cavity, then seal it flush again.

Ha-ha, they weighed all ours just before putting them on the track.

I like the 3 wheel idea...less drag.

How much do you want to spend on your winning efforts? How much work do you want to do? Pride of doing best with what you have or best you can buy? Flashy show car with speed back-up? Get creative and add lights from modeltrainsoftware.com. Click link for Pinewood Lights Video and yes it was 5 ounces when done.

Try some other cars
TheGeneral_zps81f7b741.jpg
lambo_zps31a0e4bc.jpg
Mach5_zps04f622a5.jpg

Maximum velocity has everything you want/need. Over sized prepped axles polished by you, krytox, graphite(with alcohol) so you can pack/make graphite bearings, least amount of wobble at wheel/axle and no bouncing off rails on way down. Extended wheel base OK? longer runs straighter.

Bearing axles, three wheels touching, alignment trued and verified running on treadmill (with string).

We just did a Boy Scout one (older kids, less restrictions) for fun. Winning car was a Wayne's World Pacer but he spent lots of time on the axles polishing. It beat the ebay bought physics teacher built one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back