Window shades open or closed for vacation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kestas

Staff member
I was always in the habit of closing all drapes before going on vacation. My sister says her police department urges people to keep drapes open, so in the event of a burglary the police can then easily see inside the house. Which is the best practise?

Look natural. I'd close the shades on the south facing window just to keep the sun from heating the place up or fading colors with UV.

If a neighbor suspects a burglar and calls the cops, I don't see them doing more than looking in one window by the door if there aren't signs of forced entry.

Too many closed curtains facing the street says to me, "we're gone, closed for business."

Open. Simple and inexpensive timers on a few lamps throughout your home can make a big difference as well. You always want it to appear as if there is activity.

I'm not sure it makes a lot of difference. Around here, they just knock on the door...no answer, they break in. Someone does come to the door and is foolish enough to open it and not be armed, they get killed or get the excrement kicked out of them and all their valuables taken. There is very little logic when dealing with meth heads.

Originally Posted By: Maximus1966
I'm not sure it makes a lot of difference. Around here, they just knock on the door...no answer, they break in. Someone does come to the door and is foolish enough to open it and not be armed, they get killed or get the excrement kicked out of them and all their valuables taken. There is very little logic when dealing with meth heads.

This is true. We've been having some real ballsy people doing home invasions, and beating people senseless to take their belongings.

Cameras and or even fake cameras do discourage them from hanging around. Especially if there are several of them and anyone approaching will easily see that they are there.

I have multiple light sensors wired in parallel. One not very knowledgeable person who walks a fine line and happens to still be a decent citizen while still liking to party hardy with alcohol and friends who sometimes use other means to get a buzz, one day commented to me about all the cameras I had up, and how that was discouraging to anyone who might think about hanging around our property. He can't tell a light sensor from a camera, and I am not about to clue him in about which is which.

If you go with camera(s) (and video recorder(s)) and or false cameras go with several of them, because if there is only one, some thieves might disable it, but multiples probably would have anyone smart enough to disable one, think that they might be on some video before they got all of them disabled.

I would say partially open. If they are wide open, they can easily see if you are home or not.. and see what you have..

Leaving them wide open for the police to see in? Really? Is it my job to protect my home or just do the police a favor??! Yeah, no thanks.

Police in my area are more concerned with hitting quota by catching people slightly exceeding the speed limit or going after minor drug offences (marijuana). They couldnt be bothered to catch someone robbing me blind. (no money to be made)

Last edited:
S.O.P. around here is for them to flip the main breaker on the house.

Come back tomorrow, and it's still off, take the lot (ovens and hot water heaters are going these days)

32.gif
we were burgled while asleep in 2011, and they even took the phone book...a bit hard to cancel credit cards with no phone number.

They don't think like we do.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

This is true. We've been having some real ballsy people doing home invasions, and beating people senseless to take their belongings.

Where do you two live?

Originally Posted By: apwillard1986
Open. Simple and inexpensive timers on a few lamps throughout your home can make a big difference as well. You always want it to appear as if there is activity.

Lights on timers are a good thing. I usually leave some open and some closed; if they're all closed, it looks like you are gone.

Originally Posted By: apwillard1986

THIS ^^^^^ THIS^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^ALWAYS.. even when you not on vacation, wouldnt it be nice to have a few auto lights come on inside your home ? I have several dusk till dawn lights outside and a few inside.. almost as good as ADT.

Originally Posted By: needsducktape

Where do you two live?

+2 Never even approach the door without #1 having a firearm in my hand #2 looking out a window to see who it is first. This IS america, excersizing your Rights is what its all about.

It's a mixed bag. If you leave them closed during the day, people will assume you're not home - but who leaves their drapes open during the night? Even with a light on, how many times when walking down the street at say 3 AM do you see drapes open and lights on?

On the one hand, if you leave them open with lights on, it might deter would be robbers for the simple reason they don't want to be seen. But then again, how many people are out walking in their neighborhood at three in the morning to check for would be robbers?

Even if you did leave them open, it's an easy matter to turn off the lights and close the blinds.

If it were me, I would close the drapes, put timers on the lights and even put a timer on a radio or television to kick on and off. Additionally, share with a trusted neighbor that you are going out of town and ask them to keep an eye on the place. It might even be a good idea to contact local law enforcement and ask them to drive by on occasion.

Long story short - I say close those drapes.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
+2 Never even approach the door without #1 having a firearm in my hand #2 looking out a window to see who it is first. This IS america, excersizing your Rights is what its all about.

Be sure and call the Mormons and JW's to tell them you're packing so they can bring an extra pair of underwear.

Originally Posted By: needsducktape

Where do you two live?

I'm lucky enough to live in a gated community with 24/7 armed security, but what I described is on the news at least weekly in the surrounding area. Don't try to tell me that Pittsburgh is crime-free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back