amsoil Ea15k13 filter cut open, 9k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is the first filter I have cut open... used for 9k miles on my 2008 accord 2.4 using amsoil signature series asm 0w20. I used a pipe cutter to open it and this is what I found. really kind of boring, I was almost hoping to find some tiny metal bits or something in the bottom.
I let the filter sit for an hour after removal to let any metal settle to the bottom then I put a magnet on the bottom of the filter to ensure nothing escaped.
to my surprise there was nothing in the filter but oil.
I have a magnetic drain plug and there was nothing on it either.
the end caps were very tight, could not break them off by hand, what do you use to remove them?

IMAG0428.jpg

IMAG0429.jpg

Looks good, thanks for cutting! But why use an Amsoil filter for only 9K miles? A Fram Ultra would easily handle that OCI.

Looks like a Purolator Classic. Not worth the extra $ IMO

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: bvance554
Looks like a Purolator Classic. Not worth the extra $ IMO

You mean Purolator Platinum ?

You mean a Purolator Synthetic?
smile.gif

Quote:
Looks like a Fram bypass valve.
Actually looks like Champ construction. The bypass looks similar to old blue button Super Tech bypass and leaf spring combination. And similar to Champ made Royal Purple. Also tapping plate and slotted center tube are Champ design. Granted Champ now under Fram flag under Rank, but their construction still has distinct differences.

Amsoil is a well made synthetic oil filter.

Quote:
...But why use an Amsoil filter for only 9K miles?.....
Sourcing the comment I'm finding a huge amount of irony in it.

Thanks for the pics.

One of the few cut Amsoils we've seen. I'll add my thanks.

The only thing unique about these is the media... which is the tightest media you can get by a little bit ( Amsoil claims 98.7 @ 20 um in on add but in a test (the one where they tested an MC fitler) shows 98.7 @ 20 um)

I will add my voice to the "why only 9K" chorus. That is very much underutilizing this filter. I'd be surprised if this filter was 25% loaded.

You will not get these endcaps off most likely, without a major amount of hacking. Can speak to this filter but some of the wire backed media (as all full syn media are) are welded.

Amsoil offers very good filters but not better than you can get off the shelf with an Ultra, Puro Syn or Napa Platnum/Wix XP (though the Napa/Wix filter's efficiency is as yet undetermined) for a lot less money. My advice to the OP... if you are going to go these short runs on a super premium filter, go off the shelf. The Ultras are ~$9 everyday and Napa has sales annually on the Platuinums for ~$7.80. And if you are a shopper, you can beat both those deals.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

Quote:

Thanks for the pics.

Oh my gosh, so true, this guy does 2k OCI's with Fram Ultra's and PU..lol

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Originally Posted By: sayjac

Quote:

Thanks for the pics.

Oh my gosh, so true, this guy does 2k OCI's with Fram Ultra's and PU..lol

Yes chubbs, you got it. Seemed like a great example of a 'glass house' comment.
56.gif
Agree the Amsoil filter was under utilized here, but that wasn't the point.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
I used a pipe cutter to open it and this is what I found. really kind of boring, I was almost hoping to find some tiny metal bits or something in the bottom.

Boring is good. Hoping to find metal bits not so good.
Thanks for the pics

Looks to be a well made premium full syn filter.
thumbsup2.gif

As always, thanks for cutting and posting.
smile.gif
Very few Amsoil filters on here good job.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
One of the few cut Amsoils we've seen. I'll add my thanks.

The only thing unique about these is the media... which is the tightest media you can get by a little bit ( Amsoil claims 98.7 @ 20 um in on add but in a test (the one where they tested an MC fitler) shows 98.7 @ 20 um)

I will add my voice to the "why only 9K" chorus. That is very much underutilizing this filter. I'd be surprised if this filter was 25% loaded.

You will not get these endcaps off most likely, without a major amount of hacking. Can speak to this filter but some of the wire backed media (as all full syn media are) are welded.

Amsoil offers very good filters but not better than you can get off the shelf with an Ultra, Puro Syn or Napa Platnum/Wix XP (though the Napa/Wix filter's efficiency is as yet undetermined) for a lot less money. My advice to the OP... if you are going to go these short runs on a super premium filter, go off the shelf. The Ultras are ~$9 everyday and Napa has sales annually on the Platuinums for ~$7.80. And if you are a shopper, you can beat both those deals.

What if the OP's oil was toast after 9k in his Accord?

What is he to do...? Change the oil, leave the filter on and then get back under the car in 6,000 miles to change the oil filter ONLY because the darn thing is only rated for 15k miles by Amsoil due to oil pressure issues they had with this filter and 25k OCI limits.

That sounds like more trouble and time wasted to me.

The OP got 9k worth of excellent filtration for his car. I'd say money well spent (although I agree that there are cheaper alternatives).

If he's going to be extending his OCIs, then no doubt that this filter can see 15k with ease.

Just my opinion on the subject.

So it took awhile but by smashing in the vice and twisting with a big channell lock pliers i was able to get the filter apart
all bent up end caps the glue is very stong, it finally ripped and separated on the filter material the glue was still bonded to the metal
IMAG0430.jpg

31.5 inches worth of material
IMAG0431.jpg

wire backed
IMAG0432.jpg

looked like a thin paper type stuff on top of a fine copper/brass colored metal strands then the thick wire behind it
IMAG0433.jpg

Originally Posted By: motts
Looks like a Fram bypass valve.

The filter on this car mounts nearly vertical so I think an ADBV is nearly unnecessary here

Brybo, was teh screen welded to the endcaps or potted in?

It's a standard Fram bypass and there's absolute not a thing wrong with that. It's well proven and reliable.

the screen/wire backing in the 2nd to last pic? I don't think it was welded, the glue on the caps held everything together. They definitely didn't skimp on that glue. mb it was JB Weld, ha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back