Thoughts on Kendall gt-1 synthetic blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is true when you can get the full syn for $1 per quart more. Both are good but full syn has better base stocks and thus a little better specs

Originally Posted By: walk23
Running the blend now with Napa Platinum filter currently for 6500 run. Runs quietly, just hard to find w/o online ordering here in Tx. Because mfg. warranty says up to 7500 miles I think it fits perfectly with my Altima's needs. Will do an oil analysis at 25K, currently at 18.

I find it very strange that Phillips 66 oils are so hard to find here in TX, since there headquarters are based out of Houston.

Currently $33.73 per case from PSC PLUS shipping. My goal is to run the full synthetic after my warranty expires for 10 K runs, 47.59+ shipping.
It does seem odd that with me living near Houston I can't find it locally. I'm sold on the anti wear additive, Titanium. There have been great OCI's here that were tested with MS5K by a BITOG member and it has the titanium, also.

I never understood why people use a SYN blend. Either go dino or full synthetic. Blends are never a 50/50 mix. More like a 70/30 mostly dino. But that's just me.

Kendal is a very good oil that is very hard to find locally. How the company expects to gain a market presence is beyond me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sm00thpapa
I never understood why people use a SYN blend. Either go dino or full synthetic. Blends are never a 50/50 mix. More like a 70/30 mostly dino. But that's just me.

Because kendall is over 50% synthetic, I can get it cheaper than any name brand conventional, and its $8/OCI cheaper than synthetic. WHY NOT use it?

The line between what is "synthetic" and "conventional" is heavily blurred, especially with a lot of "full synthetics" using Group III and with a lot of conventional oils using Group III and Group II base oils.

Originally Posted By: JGmazda
Kendal is a very good oil that is very hard to find locally. How the company expects to gain a market presence is beyond me.

It's a division of ConocoPhillips now and pretty much one brand among several. The name is used for marketing, but the product comes from one group at the parent company. A lot of companies have bought out major brand names and just left them to wilt without support when they figured it wasn't worth the effort.

Shell in the US is often thought of as an off-brand motor oil with the exception of Rotella, even though it's the same company as Pennzoil and Quaker State. They're not terribly interested in turning it into a big motor oil brand in the US.

Originally Posted By: lubedude13
It is true when you can get the full syn for $1 per quart more. Both are good but full syn has better base stocks and thus a little better specs

Says who. Depending on the oil the specs may be better or worse. Blanket statement which almost always turn out to be incorrect.

Who says they are 70/30. And honestly who cares what the ratio is. Look at what manufacturers approvals and what specs it meets,then judge.
If I can get a blended oil that is every bit as good as its synthetic counterpart,for less money why buy the synthetic. That makes no sense at all unless you like to spend more to go the same distance.
By the true definition of synthetic M1 0w-40 isn't one,and is labelled as such in Europe yet it carries more oem certs than any gasoline engine oil I've ever seen. Is it in some way inferior of its true synthetic counterparts and in real life driving would anything other than your wallet know the difference.
But that's just you is it. You want to spend more for a lubricant I guess. Does that make you smarter in some way.
And while using these real synthetics do you actually use them to extend the interval,or are you one of those "peace of mind" guys.
6000 miles isn't an extended interval.

The cars in your sig shouldn't have any problems with a 5000 mile interval on conventional,unless that cavalier is pushing 20 pounds of boost or that rodeo is spraying a 150 shot,or is there some other reason you need a full synthetic,that isn't a blend.
Personally I'd be more interested with what specs the oil has been proven to meet then compare that with the cost of other oils in that category,then buy accordingly,because I like money much better in my pocket.
But that's just me.

I agree with Clevy, why spend the extra cash on synthetic when a Dino or a synblend will do the job very well. I rather use the extra money for a six pack of beer!

The great thing about it is that when you get an oil change at Firestone, you get Kendall synblend often at the price of conventional stuff at other oil change places.

Who says they are 70/30. And honestly who cares what the ratio is. Look at what manufacturers approvals and what specs it meets,then judge.
If I can get a blended oil that is every bit as good as its synthetic counterpart,for less money why buy the synthetic. That makes no sense at all unless you like to spend more to go the same distance.
By the true definition of synthetic M1 0w-40 isn't one,and is labelled as such in Europe yet it carries more oem certs than any gasoline engine oil I've ever seen. Is it in some way inferior of its true synthetic counterparts and in real life driving would anything other than your wallet know the difference.
But that's just you is it. You want to spend more for a lubricant I guess. Does that make you smarter in some way.
And while using these real synthetics do you actually use them to extend the interval,or are you one of those "peace of mind" guys.
6000 miles isn't an extended interval.

The cars in your sig shouldn't have any problems with a 5000 mile interval on conventional,unless that cavalier is pushing 20 pounds of boost or that rodeo is spraying a 150 shot,or is there some other reason you need a full synthetic,that isn't a blend.
Personally I'd be more interested with what specs the oil has been proven to meet then compare that with the cost of other oils in that category,then buy accordingly,because I like money much better in my pocket.
But that's just me.

Good points and I agree with you 100%.

Running 5K OCI on all my vehicles with Havoline High Mileage which I got for $12.99 a 5 quart jug. First time using this oil so it's a test phase for me. The only vehicle that gets Synthetics is the 04 Ascender in which I then run a 10K OCI. I have used PP, Napa SYN, Valvoline SYN, and Amsoil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: y_p_w

It's a division of ConocoPhillips now and pretty much one brand among several. The name is used for marketing, but the product comes from one group at the parent company. A lot of companies have bought out major brand names and just left them to wilt without support when they figured it wasn't worth the effort.

Shell in the US is often thought of as an off-brand motor oil with the exception of Rotella, even though it's the same company as Pennzoil and Quaker State. They're not terribly interested in turning it into a big motor oil brand in the US.

Thanks. Well... Kendall "would" do well if it was on the shelves. Since Pep Boys stopped carrying it, I can't find it. It's a very good oil for the $$$. Also uses a unique Titanium additive. It's too bad they don't market it better.

Thanks. Well... Kendall "would" do well if it was on the shelves. Since Pep Boys stopped carrying it, I can't find it. It's a very good oil for the $$$. Also uses a unique Titanium additive. It's too bad they don't market it better.

Titanium is far from unique. Castrol is using it as is Mobil in their lower tier stuff. I'm betting more than just those 2 are using titanium. Apparently its cheap which keeps cost to the consumer down and from the uoa posted using the Mobil shows its able to do 10000 mile intervals without breaking a sweat.
The evolution of lubricants is moving so quickly what was great last year is going into the lawn mower because of what's new this year.

Awesome. For us oil nerds anyways.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Titanium is far from unique. Castrol is using it as is Mobil in their lower tier stuff. I'm betting more than just those 2 are using titanium. Apparently its cheap which keeps cost to the consumer down and from the uoa posted using the Mobil shows its able to do 10000 mile intervals without breaking a sweat.
The evolution of lubricants is moving so quickly what was great last year is going into the lawn mower because of what's new this year.

Awesome. For us oil nerds anyways.

Yep, it is far from a new additive but supposably it bonds to metal at lower temps than moly or ZDDP and is suppose to help make up for the reduced ZDDP levels.

It's still sold to bulk users like oil change shops, dealers, etc. I don't think it's being discontinued, but apparently the big chains are discontinuing for one reason or another.

I saw plenty at a local speed shop this morning. It was $3.99/quart for most weights.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: Ken2
ConocoPhillips has been marketing the Group III base oil (with the legal right to be marketed as "synthetic") from S-Oil of Korea. I think it is a rather low quality Group III. ConocoPhillips76Kendall oils have been this syn-blend at a top quality conventional price for years. I think it is very good, but no better than any top conventional oil from any top maker.

Is this ConocoPhillips current oil marketing scheme...?
Most oils have the three Conoco, Phillips 66, and 76 logos on them.
A few oils have only one of the brands above, but they are identical to the other brands' equivalent products.
Kendall branded products are the top of the quality lines and often sold in service stations of all three other brands--but the same product as certain 76 or Conoco or Phillips 66 products..

That couldn't be further from the truth. They have one of the biggest and newest refineries that produce group III. It is not low quality. I also don't see any other manufacturers marketing that their conventionals can go 10K OCIs like kendalls syn-blend.

Conoco, Trop Artic and 76 are indeed the same oil in PCMO but kendall and motorcraft are formulated differently. fwiw

There is only one problem with what you stated Volk. It contradicts what Phillips is stating. Phillips even states their group Ultra S is indeed from S-Oil. Which is a quality group III.

The advertised 10K OCI could be marketed by any "conventional" on the market in any application that the car manufacture recommends a 10K OCI on any product that meets the manufactures spec that a manufacture recommends a 10K OCI. Toyota and Ford come to my mind as two manufactures that recommend 10K OCI's and just about every if not every major conventional oil off the shelf that is current on their API specs meets their warranty requirements for most vehicles from both respective manufactures.

Kendall GT is a good product it just not a superior performer to other products that are in the same product class I.E. PYB, QSGB, FS, Mobil conventional, Valvoline, GTX, Chevron's offerings, and etc from the other major blenders.

Sorry but thats not what i was saying. They as in S-oil not COP.

OK I follow it now.

For the price I get it cheaper than any of the national conventionals and being part synthetic is just a bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back