info an opinions on a Suzuki gn400

Status
Not open for further replies.
A guy I work with has a 85 gn400 runs good he wants 1100 for it. Whats a fair price? What should I expect out of this bike? Im a beginner. All advice is great. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Remember that finding parts for this bike will be near impossible,so its going to run until it doesn't then its scrap.
1100 is way too much.

I am planning on taking the course. I couldnt find gn400 on fhe list.

NADA nor Kelley Blue Book has a GN400 listed after 82. Is it possible that it is the more common GS450? Parts for the GN400 will indeed be very tricky to find and these older Suzuki's were utter death on stators and rectifiers. I think for 1100 bucks you can look around on Craigslist and find something a little better and more common. Something like a Yamaha XS650 or a Suzuki Savage 650 would be a better find.

Last edited:
I like the savage. What about a an 05 honda rebel? Not sure but arent they usually a 250? How is a 250 to ride?

I bought an '84 GSX-400 for $250.00 from the guy down the road from my parents when I was in high school (so like 1996). It needed a few things, but the local Suzuki dealer had no problem getting parts for it. I've even had good luck (far more recently) getting parts for my similar vintage Suzuki quad from the dealer, as well as my Yamaha trike that I recently parted ways with. It would appear in general that getting parts for Japanese bikes/ATV's is pretty easy and straight-forward, so I wouldn't be concerned about that.

Depending on what you are looking to do with the bike, you might be better served with something like a Honda Shadow. Your buddy wants way too much money for that bike BTW.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
I like the savage. What about a an 05 honda rebel? Not sure but arent they usually a 250? How is a 250 to ride?

The CMX250 Rebel is not quite like an EX 250 Ninja or VStar/Virago 250. You can ride at freeway speeds on the Kawi or Yamaha. I have been able to indicate "redline"(Max speed for 5th gear indicated on the speedometer in red) on the rebel...about 81 MPH. You have to be in a ridiculous full tuck and I weighed about 50 lbs less

I had a '79 or '80 or so when I was in college.

I doubt I paid $1100 for it brand new.

I kept it probably six or seven years, and don't recall ever having any trouble with it. Mine was as vanilla as it got, really nothing to go wrong on it.

Originally Posted By: ram_man

The Honda is not even a full 250cc. They are cramped compared to the Suzuki and Yamaha cruiser themed 250 bikes. You would be better off with a GZ250 or a Virago 250 than the Rebel.

The Savage would be a great bike to get. Still made(now as the S40) so parts are easy to aquire, only about 40lbs heavier than a 250 "cruiser" but with enough power to ride on the highway better. Not to mention the belt drive is nice for ease of maintenance. Other good options would be a Vulcan 500 from Kawasaki or a Yamaha Virago 535.

Last edited:
I'd verify precisely what the correct vehicle nomenclature is before considering a purchase. I used to work at a Suzuki dealership and the GN400 was a very poor seller. Most were sold to wives/girlfriends of the guys who rode the bigger cruisers.

The old GN400t had a long stroke single cylinder engine and was actually an excellent beginner bike. However, they didn't sell well and were discontinued after 1982. In 1985 Suzuki still sold a GN250 but not a 400. It is very likely that your friend bought the GN400t in 1985 as a leftover model.

If you like the idea of a big thumper engine in a cruiser frame then they're pretty fun bikes. His price of $1100 is much too high though. Price will depend on how excited you are to get a beginner bike. I personally wouldn't pay over $600 for it.

Also, getting parts for it won't be a problem since the design is very common throughout Suzuki's product line.

Originally Posted By: FowVay

If you like the idea of a big thumper engine in a cruiser frame then they're pretty fun bikes. His price of $1100 is much too high though. Price will depend on how excited you are to get a beginner bike. I personally wouldn't pay over $600 for it.

Also, getting parts for it won't be a problem since the design is very common throughout Suzuki's product line.

$1100 is a little high. You are correct about the parts. Should have a lot of common parts with the SP400 Dual Purpose and GS450L cruiser.

I appreciate all the advice and will pass on his bike. I think if I wait till it gets colder people will sell cheaper. Im in no huge rush as a bike will be a stress reliever more than anything. I dont really need one.

In addition, you might choose a different first bike after the class. There are cruiser, dual-sport, dirt, standard, and sport bikes configurations to consider. There are excellent, low cost, reliable bikes in each type to pick up.

$1100 WAY too much. Honda rebel is great if you can find the Nighthawk 450 version. If your heck-bent on this bike, a website called the GS resources is an excellent website for those old bikes and parts (as is Ebay).

Definitely go for a small twin instead; a non counterbalanced Single like this one will rattle your teeth loose in anything other than city riding. As others have pitched in, a Honda Hawk 400/Nighthawk 450 would be a much better choice as it's a better performer and perhaps more importantly, was in production for a good while, which should make parts availability less of an issue. An 84 or later Honda Ascot or Shadow 500 (liquid-cooled V-twin, shaft drive) would also be a decent choice for not much money. You may also want to look at a Kawi 440....

Those old KZ's in unmolested condition are going for more money each year. Too many 20 year olds have cut them up into bobbers.

Originally Posted By: THE_TROTS
Those old KZ's in unmolested condition are going for more money each year. Too many 20 year olds have cut them up into bobbers.

Blasphemy!!!!

He would likely be better off with the LTD454 versus the Kaw 440. That was a pretty good performing small displacement bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back