Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any experience with these? They would go on a 2013 Elantra GT. Since my tire size is 215/45R70 my choices are limited. I have looked at Michelin, Goodyear and now this. Currently it has the Hankook Optimo 426 on it and they are pretty much worn out. the ContiPro's on my other Elantra sedan aren't too far behind either. My original choice was the Michelin Defender but they don't make it in this size.

So, after reading the many reviews on Tire Rack and Discount Tire (and other sources) it seems I've narrowed it down to 2 choices:

Michelin Primacy MXM4 - 50K, $170 Each.

Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus - 70K, $139 Each.

My priorities in a tire are
1. Quiet
2. Mileage
3. traction

I am leaning towards the Pirellis as I have seen report after report of quiet and decent traction for AS. But it's a newer tire and I'm wondering if anyone has any opinion about them?

the michelin primacy mxm4 are a new design and amazing
you wont be disappointed with those!

I have them on my Corolla right now in 225 45 17 size. They are smooth and i got them for the mileage rating. Irun them at 35 psi and traction seems good. I wouldnt use them in snow though..unless its very light. Had a storm with these on in montreal and it was not great...my 3 yr old studded semperits handled better despite not much tread. I like these so far. Let me know if you have any specific questions. Had them on for about 20 000kms so far. This is my first season on them. If you get them for a good price go for it. I have no regrets. I ran michellin mxms before and i think their wear rating was lower..mine are rated 700 A A

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
.... I ran michellin mxms before and i think their wear rating was lower..mine are rated 700 A A

This is the number two issue (quiet being #1, as I am really sensitive to the sounds of road noise hash), the Michelin being a lower mileage tire yet costing $30 ea more.

If money is remotely an issue, I would be sorely tempted by the deal on Altimax HP at DTD. That was the choice of someone else in a recent thread, with the same car/tire situation.

Never driven on the P7, but I was very happy with the P4 Four Seasons on my old Chevy Malibu Classic. One potential issue: The one downside to the P4s is that I never would have gotten the warranted 85K treadlife. (I traded in the car after the P4s had about 35K on them.) That's pretty common for the P4, I hear. The treadlife is by no means poor---it's just not as outstanding as advertised.

Whether that trend holds true for the P7 I have no idea. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: faramir9
If money is remotely an issue, I would be sorely tempted by the deal on Altimax HP at DTD. That was the choice of someone else in a recent thread, with the same car/tire situation.

Never driven on the P7, but I was very happy with the P4 Four Seasons on my old Chevy Malibu Classic. One potential issue: The one downside to the P4s is that I never would have gotten the warranted 85K treadlife. (I traded in the car after the P4s had about 35K on them.) That's pretty common for the P4, I hear. The treadlife is by no means poor---it's just not as outstanding as advertised.

Bill in Utah had the p4's and got excellent life on his.

Michellins likely will be quieter but wear faster. Performance similar id say. Maybe slight edge to pirelli.
Seems like a significant cost difference as well..

Last edited:
If you don't put much mileage on them, the treadwear warranty might be attractive - there is no time limit on it.

I have the P4's on my Forester and i'm in love with them. 75k so far and they seriously look like they have another 50 left. Great traction, not one complaint.

Get the Pirelli, the Michelin's are still more expensive even with the Tire Rack rebate.

They have a better treadwear rating than the Michelin's as well.

you didnt run these mxm4 before. there is 3 models and this is a new one that came out.. 1-2 years ago.

you are most likely referring to the pilot hx mxm4

not the primacy mxm4.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I have them on my Corolla right now in 225 45 17 size. They are smooth and i got them for the mileage rating. Irun them at 35 psi and traction seems good. I wouldnt use them in snow though..unless its very light. Had a storm with these on in montreal and it was not great...my 3 yr old studded semperits handled better despite not much tread. I like these so far. Let me know if you have any specific questions. Had them on for about 20 000kms so far. This is my first season on them. If you get them for a good price go for it. I have no regrets. I ran michellin mxms before and i think their wear rating was lower..mine are rated 700 A A

We are running the Pirelli P4 on the 2005 Saturn at 50k the look like they could go another 50k with plenty of thread left over.Go for the P7"s.

CR tested the Pirelli P7 and found the treadwear to be "fair." So, I would not be surprised if the tire does not come close to its promised treadwear warranty.

Typically, the aftermarket Michelin tires wear very well and will often meet or exceed the promised treadwear warranty.

The Primacy MXM4 is truly an excellent tire and both wet/dry grip are phenomenal for a grand-touring all season tire. I currently have a set on my Prius in the 215/45-17 size.

However, for a small reduction in treadwear, I would look very hard at the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. The wet and dry traction are simply on another level:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=177

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
Does anyone have any experience with these? They would go on a 2013 Elantra GT. Since my tire size is 215/45R70 my choices are limited. I have looked at Michelin, Goodyear and now this. Currently it has the Hankook Optimo 426 on it and they are pretty much worn out. the ContiPro's on my other Elantra sedan aren't too far behind either. My original choice was the Michelin Defender but they don't make it in this size.

So, after reading the many reviews on Tire Rack and Discount Tire (and other sources) it seems I've narrowed it down to 2 choices:

Michelin Primacy MXM4 - 50K, $170 Each.

Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus - 70K, $139 Each.

My priorities in a tire are
1. Quiet
2. Mileage
3. traction

I am leaning towards the Pirellis as I have seen report after report of quiet and decent traction for AS. But it's a newer tire and I'm wondering if anyone has any opinion about them?

Originally Posted By: faramir9

This would be me!

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...476#Post3111476

My BIL chose the AlitMAX HP due to his budget, for his 2012 Elantra Limited(215-45-17). And these AltiMAX HP's will be worlds better in all weather conditions for my BIL compared to the Hankook Optimo H426.

But, my 1st choice for my BIL and his driving style was the Continental Extreme Contact DWS(reviews are great!) as he will encounter snow here in Western NY State.

I can't answer for the Pirelli P7's in Propflux01's climate and driving style. I too have the Pirelli P4's and love'em(I've said that enought times
laugh.gif
) though, these and many other similar tires don't come in the 215-45-17. Similar highly rated tire being...

Michelin Defender
Pirelli P4
Hankook Optimo H727
General AltiMAX RT
Cooper CS4
or any of the other tires that I missed including LRR tires.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Rolla07: yes, very significant cost difference and less rated mileage

TrevorS: I average about 22K per year, A lot of my commute is on chip-seal roads which eat tires.

Bvance554: Looking at the P7, not the P4

randomhero439: This was what I was leaning towards

Char Baby: the 426's on the GT have worn extremely fast. The Conti's on the Sedan aren't too far behind. Both cars have 20 to 22K.

Oilmutt: this is one aspect I was wondering about

The Critic: I cannot help but wonder if they are really worth the cost. We are talking over $700US by the time it's said and done
As far as my driving, climate is upper 90's to low 100F in summer and usually low 20's to 40F in winter. Roads are mainly asphalt, hills and curves, some chip-seal, some interstate. Not a drifter or hot-rodder, 75 MPH interstate, 60-70mph side roads.

Propflux01,

Yes, my BIL had ~29K miles on the H426's and the tires are really bald. He pushed them way too far but, now he's in good shape with the General AlitMAX HP's. And the AltiMAX's are really beefy looking(wider looking) than the H426's.

I have never had good longivity with Continental Tires. I wore out my '04 Nissan Altima's OE ContiTouringContact in ~17K miles.

Do you ever encounter snow/ice???
These AltiMAX HP's should do decent in the winter here in NY State as we typicaly have good snow removal. Though there would have been a better tire for my BIL but, his budget didn't cover the extra cost.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Propflux01

The Critic: I cannot help but wonder if they are really worth the cost. We are talking over $700US by the time it's said and done
As far as my driving, climate is upper 90's to low 100F in summer and usually low 20's to 40F in winter. Roads are mainly asphalt, hills and curves, some chip-seal, some interstate. Not a drifter or hot-rodder, 75 MPH interstate, 60-70mph side roads.

It really depends on the driver and how closely they pay attention to how their vehicle behaves. For instance, my mother would not be able to distinguish the distance between a set of summer tires and a set of high-performance all-seasons.

The differences in handling and traction (amongst your choices) are likely to be minimal, so do the math and see if the Michelins are worth the higher price point on a projected cost per mile basis. Of course there are the unpredictable factors such as uniformity, which Michelin has traditionally been better at.

Which did you end up buying?

I've currently got the Primacy MXM4s and I'm actually looking into replacing them with the Cinturato P7s in the spring if I can find enough concrete info about them being as good, or better than the Michelin, because, the MXM4s are AMAZING. They'll make the 45k no problem too. I am interested in finding the same performance with a longer mileage warranty. If it doesn't exist, I'll definitely pay more for the Michelins.

Anyone got any info on these P7s?

Originally Posted By: W_John_C
Which did you end up buying?

I've currently got the Primacy MXM4s and I'm actually looking into replacing them with the Cinturato P7s in the spring if I can find enough concrete info about them being as good, or better than the Michelin, because, the MXM4s are AMAZING. They'll make the 45k no problem too. I am interested in finding the same performance with a longer mileage warranty. If it doesn't exist, I'll definitely pay more for the Michelins.

Anyone got any info on these P7s?

Well, I wish that I knew myself. The TR Customer Reviews on the P7's are almost too good to be true but, I do believe it...For now! Only time will tell as more reviews come in and miles are accumulated.

I'll say this every time:
If your happy with the service of your current tires, buy'em again!
smile.gif

Last edited:
They wont be close to the performance of the primacy mxm4

Thats michelin's top tier Grand touring tire with a bias towards wet/dry performance.

the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus

would be somewhere inbetween the Michelin Defender and the primacy mxm4 imo.

Last edited:
Bringing this thread back around. I'm looking at these in a 195/55/16 for the P5 this summer.

My only complaint about the Connie DWS 195/50/16 I have on the car now is that it may be a white knuckle winter as they are a little sketchy if we see any significant snow. If I can make it to summer, I think I'll be OK until time to replace them.

If the P7's will last the 20K more projected compared to the Connies that would put me in the sweet spot for the following 30 or so months.

Certainly not as sporty as the Connies, but should do the job for my brand of driving.

So putting my flag in this topic to follow up later to see if anyone has any real experience with this tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back