Most accurate ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you had to choose between a Savage heavy barrell bolt .22 magnum
H&R .223 heavy barrel single shot.
Marlin 955ss semi auto .22

scoped and bipod for 100yrd accuracy contest.. what would be your choice ?

We had a Savage 22 target rifle (single shot with the thick barrel, and peep site) no scope, with the peep site at 100 yards you could pick off soda cans, a soda can on its side so you only saw the bottom or the top was a challenge, party balloons were no challenge at all. One time I tried to split a bullet at 75 feet on a piece of rusty angle iron with the point pointing at me. Split the bullet on the first shot leaving scrapes on the rust on both sides.

The trigger pull had a nice set-up for adjusting how hard it was to pull. For long range shooting I made it very lite. The gun started to go off if it was bumped with the safety off, safe handling caused those rounds to safely go downrange. I put the trigger pull back to 3 LB and it still happened. It turned out that the rear screw that holds the stock to the metal of the gun, was sticking up through the threaded hole so that it rubbed the bolt and caused the bolt to fire. Apparently as the wood wears the screw sticks through the metal below the bolt because there is less distance between the head of the screw and the threaded hole. I shortened that screw so it no longer sticks up high enough to touch the bolt. Something to keep an eye out for anytime you put any gun back together if there are any screws that have threaded holes near any part of the gun having anything to do with it firing.

Over the years many boyscouts qualified for the riffle merit badge with that gun, and several adults had fun plinking with it. I had site settings for different ranges wrote into the white felt of the gun case. For a tight group at 100 yards I used yellowjackets.

If you want an accurate gun in general you get more accuracy with a (single shot with the thick barrel). The next best would be a bolt action with the thick barrel. A semi-auto would probably be the least accurate.

If you are buying a used rifle and want accuracy, one big thing to test is weather or not the barrel has had too many rounds through it. I do not know how many rounds it takes to wear out a barrel, and it probably varies with the ammo used, and also how hot the barrel gets because of fast repeated shooting, verses being given time to cool. So if you are buying used, it probably would be a good idea to ask the previous owner who knows that gun what round is the best for accuracy, and then get some of that round and fire quite a few at the intended range to see if the barrel is or is not still good.

Better yet,
See if you can still find a CZ 452 in .22LR. Put a decent, very high magnification scope on it. Use SK brand German subsonic target ammo. Place you some quarters at 100 yards and you will hit them almost EVERY time.
That being said, Savage has become one of the best brands believe it or not.
But I don't care what gun you have, if you use Wal-Mart ammo in it, you ain't gonna hit a quarter at 100 yards 90% of the time. American ammo has turned into rot-gut. That is if you can find some.

Yes, valid question.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
3 very different answers to 3 different questions...

What is the use ?

Thought the intended use was, as the OP said, "accuracy contest."...

But those are 3 different cartridges and 3 different rifles...so, it's hard to separate rifle performance from cartridge and know which would be the more influential factor in ultimate accuracy...

I'd swear that second part wasn't there when I first saw the thread...

Anyway, ditch the magum, then decide how you want to play with the other two.

Standard velocity .22 has less wind drift then the magnum, but a rainbow trajectory. If your range is 100M and 100m only, it's the least cost way of getting holes made.

Got more money, then get a good .223

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Thought the intended use was, as the OP said, "accuracy contest."...

But those are 3 different cartridges and 3 different rifles...so, it's hard to separate rifle performance from cartridge and know which would be the more influential factor in ultimate accuracy...

Yes sir, Accuracy contest.. and i own these rifles, they are not being considered for purchase.. and believe it or not that semi auto .22 is pretty tight at 100 yards.. Ive never had alot of luck getting the single shot .223 to dial in tight, but ive also not spent alot of time on it as its got some cheap rings on it and replacing them has been on my firearms bucket list.. The savage has a exceptionally clear Nikon pro-staff scope on it but its not very powerfull (scope power) so to even consider it i would need swap out a more powerfull scope on to it. At the moment the only one that a solid performer is the .22 and at 100yards using Remington .22's sometimes the goupings are under 2 inches and sometimes they are up to 3-4 goups (some shooter error involved)

As scarce as ammo is right now i can only tell you what i would be shooting what i have on hand

Remington .22
CCI .22 Magnums
Federal American Eagle .223

I have a handfull of scopes i could put on these weapons, Bushnell Banner 6-24 x50 probably being the most powerfull..

I only have 2 weeks untill this contest and fairly limited time to put the package together and dial it in.

It looks pretty simple considering your predicament. Put scope on Savage. Take it and Marlin to range. Shoot them. Pick the one that is best.

Originally Posted By: hatt
It looks pretty simple considering your predicament. Put scope on Savage. Take it and Marlin to range. Shoot them. Pick the one that is best.

Its funny you said this, because its exactly what i did. 6-24x40 Bushnell banner on the savage .22 magnum. I bore sighted it this morning and i will shoot tomorrow morning, The Marlin is coming outside with me to (no need to go to the range, my property is the range) between these two i will see wich one i can get to come in tightest.

I also figured out why the .223 never came in tight when i tinkered with it before, the Rail is bent, I have no idea how that happend.. After a new rail is put on i will put another scope on it and see where it goes.

I think i have a faulty scope, the 24 power went on the .22 magnum savage and it would start dialing in the start throwing rounds 3-4 inches off target.. Im not going to keep wasting ammo on this scope on differend guns, ive got a Bushnell Dusk till Dawn i have still sitting in the box, we can give it a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back