Spark plug wire keeps popping off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello,

I drive a 2000 mitsubishi eclipse with the V6 engine... The spark plug wire on cylinder #5 keeps pooping out from the spark plug, the wire fits tight in the spark plug but it keeps popping off every 5 minutes of driving. I replaced the spark plug and the problem persists. any idea what would cause this?

thanks in advance.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Have you tried pooping it back on yet?
LOL never heard of "pooping" things back on
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
So when you poop it back on, it's snug and it takes some amount of force to pull it back off?

Yes.It is as snug as the other ones.

I had that happen if you put some lube to help the wire on it will form a seal and when you push the wire on it builds air pressure and they will push back off. Anyway, how about using a small hose clamp on it (redneck advice, take it with caution).

Is the wire too short, aka, mechanical tension causing it to "poop" off?

Check and see if the spark plug is tight and NO gases coming from around the plug threads.

Most of the time one can take a wire pliers and gently squeeze the cap to make it tighter. Do this in small increments.

Last edited:
You are probably getting some gas buildup in the plug tube, causing the wire to pop out of the tube. Maybe you need a notch or hole to allow the gas to escape.

Could the plug be bad and allowing compression to escape? I know it's a long shot...

Or a loose plug?

Replace the leaky plug in #5 and it will stop the pooping off. (love this thread
smile.gif
)
If you want to experiment, swap #5 plug to a different cylinder and see the result.
Once saw a set of Bosch's in a Toyota and they all took turns pooping off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vtecboy
hello,

I drive a 2000 mitsubishi eclipse with the V6 engine... The spark plug wire on cylinder #5 keeps pooping out from the spark plug, the wire fits tight in the spark plug but it keeps popping off every 5 minutes of driving. I replaced the spark plug and the problem persists. any idea what would cause this?

thanks in advance.

Try buying a new set of spark plug WIRES, and I bet the problem will stop.

Or, you could look inside the wire, and see if the part that snaps onto the spark plug has broken. Either way, you are probably going to need a new spark plug WIRE to resolve the issue.

BC.

Is the plug wire to short pulling tension or to long and not loomed flopping around which may create some yank action

If the problem is air sealed in the tube:

Make sure you don't have a bunch of dielectric grease or any grease or oil of any sort around the outside of the wire boot. Get a bit of thread suitable for putting buttons on your socks or whatever. Tie it around the bottom of the spark plug wire boot. Unravel some thread and hold the spool up top by the wire. Push the boot into place on the spark plug normally. Trim the thread so there's an inch or so dangling.

After you re-install the wires, have someone keep his/her foot on the brake & put it in gear. My suspicion is that you have one wire that is too short, and it gets pulled off when the car is in gear.

Originally Posted By: Nyquist
After you re-install the wires, have someone keep his/her foot on the brake & put it in gear. My suspicion is that you have one wire that is too short, and it gets pulled off when the car is in gear.

If the distributor or coil pack are on the engine it should rock with the rest of the powertrain and not lengthen/ shorten the wire.

Bicycle/ motorcycle handlebar grips are applied with a jet of water for "lubrication" which as it dries makes the rubber adhere rather strongly to the surface beneath. As much as I'd recommend that here, it would cause corrosion at the tip of the plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back