Fram Ultra PICS & Fram comparison - fits Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: David1
Anyone see the Video? The Fram Ultra clearly failed... did you see?

here is link to video again.

and after 4800 miles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NexBveNFZjg

Yes, I recall the threads here about the filter. Motorking (Jay) at FRAM had him send it back, and then FRAM gave him some free new filters. In the YouTube comments, he says FRAM never cut it open, but I think Jay said they did ... how else would they know what happened. Think FRAM said the leaf spring failed (?). Per comments on YT, looks like the OP/maker of the YT video was apparently banned from BITOG and his posts deleted ... strange.

Well I guess any product can have a defective part come off the line. As I said i wish the Fram Ultra had a real coil spring....

However its a very good price for that filter....

but what gets me is FRAM has that whole you tube thing saying they follow strit OEM requirements......

O well, I guess its what you like.

I had a 1997 Buck Lesabre w/ V6 3800 and when I used a PURE ONE the oil Psi gauge at idle was darn near the red... then I would push the gas and it would go to the middle perfect.

So on that car I would use A/C Delco or Purolator Classic..

Also some people might say well the car was wore out.. No way, My Grandpa left me that car when he died and it only hade 38K miles on it... Its was like new... and each time I used a PUREONE oil filter or a very Heavy Duty Oil filter the Oil pressure gauge did that.

I think I even used FRAM Orange on that car b/c I was worried about oil restriction.

Last edited:
That FU is one nice looking filter. It sure makes the others look like....well, we all know.
I have to admit, FRAM sure did their homework on that filter.
thumbsup2.gif

and after 4800 miles

One oil filter failed. Big whoop! I had a COIL SPRING in a Wix fail (it rattled brand new so I returned it). Big whoop! Mass produced products fail. It happens. Until you can show me 20-30,000 more and prove mass failures, I don't intend to be worried about Fram or Wix or any other filter manufacturer that has an occasional failure. To me, that's just common sense in the real world.

Coil springs fail just like leaf springs and some of the best filters in the world use leaf springs. You can't make a case that one is necessarily better than the other just by virtue of type. There may be better and worse designs in each category and the quality of materials will pay into it as well. As to Fram, they essentially use the same design in all their filters so with as many filters as they produce, you would have to say it's proven.

If a person wants to buy only products that have never failed, I don't know how he would be able communicate with us because he would have to be sitting nude on a rock with absolutely no possessions.

Greg, thank you for this thread. I'm sure it'll come in handy for lots of Honda drivers when this pops in a Google search.
thumbsup2.gif

and after 4800 miles

I too remember that thread. I don't remember there being a clear cut explanation of what happened. The most obvious explanation was a leaf spring malfunction, but afaik the exact cause was never shown or reported.

I didn't realize until now the OP of that thread had been banned and the thread deleted. Odd.

That was Mullick2001. No, there wasn't a clear explanation. Fram claimed there was a dent in the can that caused the failure. That made some sense in that a dent in the right place could fatigue the spring and cause it to fail but the pics we saw of the failed filter showed a barely discernible "dent" of a very low magnitude. We never got a clear explanation as to whether Fram autopsied the filter or not. Certainly, to my knowledge, we didn't see any pics nor get any further explanation from Motorking other than to say the lab had "proclaimed" and that was that. Mullick got a case of filters and an apology. There was no apparent harm to the engine. In the beginning it looked like Fram was handling it well but the ending was rather less transparent than I would have liked.

I had no idea Mullick was banned, if indeed that is the case. Certainly those posts over the filter have not been deleted. You can see all 12 pages of them here: Ultra Failure
The thread degenerated at the end and was locked over the infamous "FU."

There was a second thread in May of 2013 and it too degenerated to name calling (not by Mullick) and it was locked as well. The threads were not locked due to the topic but the nasty way the thread went. Nothing was deleted AFAIK. Those appear to be Mullick's last posts. Was he actually banned? You'll have to ask a moderator. Was he banned for something besides those posts? Again, ask a moderator. Those are the only posts I know of that relate directly to this topic.

Last edited:
Jim, thanks for the explanation and I stand corrected. I was just going by the Mullick2001 comments on yt. His name is still on the user list and appears to show as active. So maybe he's under a false impression, or some misunderstanding.

I think that Fram and Jay did their best though to make it right with the customer. That said, I agree with your thought on the ending. But, apparently no harm done so it seemed to work out postively for the OP.

Im sure the Fram Ultra is a good filter, by far the best FRAM filter has to offer. However what I do not like is for years FRAM put out videos saying You didnt need metal end caps and they were following strict OEM guidelines.

However I do have to say the Fram Ultra is impressive.

I wonder why they didn't add the screen to the bypass valve like the did the TG.

Its not a bad deal for the $.....

Perhaps I might try one
smile.gif

It's been said many times why the Ultra needs metal end caps. The Ultra wouldn't exist if it didn't use metal end caps ... needed from a pure engineering standpoint due to the media & wire backing design.

Just because FRAM said years ago they would always do non-metal end caps doesn't mean they can change their mind ... they can do whatever they want, make end caps out of pure gold if they wanted to.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
It's been said many times why the Ultra needs metal end caps. The Ultra wouldn't exist if it didn't use metal end caps ... needed from a pure engineering standpoint due to the media & wire backing design.

Just because FRAM said years ago they would always do non-metal end caps doesn't mean they can change their mind ... they can do whatever they want, make end caps out of pure gold if they wanted to.
lol.gif

They can call it the PGCOD.
crackmeup2.gif

Im sure the Fram Ultra is a good filter, by far the best FRAM filter has to offer. However what I do not like is for years FRAM put out videos saying You didnt need metal end caps and they were following strict OEM guidelines.

I wonder why they didn't add the screen to the bypass valve like the did the TG.

Perhaps I might try one
smile.gif

The ultra needs metal end caps due to the media. That's it. I've cut apart filters with the fibre end caps and the end cap came off in chunks. So the end cap is irrelevant and doesn't in any way affect the filters performance.
I ran filters 10000 miles,cut them open and the cardboard end cap wasn't compromised in any way.
Get over it.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Perhaps I might try one
smile.gif

The ultra needs metal end caps due to the media. That's it. I've cut apart filters with the fibre end caps and the end cap came off in chunks. So the end cap is irrelevant and doesn't in any way affect the filters performance.
I ran filters 10000 miles,cut them open and the cardboard end cap wasn't compromised in any way.
Get over it.

If FRAM were to put metal end caps on their bottom feeder OCOD it would then have to raise the price.
If someone wants a much better filter WITH metal end caps, AND less money then the OCOD, buy a Puro Classic.
thumbsup2.gif

I don't think Mullick is banned it appears I would be free to send him a PM if I so wished, don't think that works for banned members.

THIS is the quote of the week!

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
David1 said:
If a person wants to buy only products that have never failed, I don't know how he would be able communicate with us because he would have to be sitting nude on a rock with absolutely no possessions.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: Clevy

Perhaps I might try one
smile.gif

Get over it.

If FRAM were to put metal end caps on their bottom feeder OCOD it would then have to raise the price.
If someone wants a much better filter WITH metal end caps, AND less money then the OCOD, buy a Puro Classic.
thumbsup2.gif

Better how. Holds more contaminants?filters better? Better how?

Zee0Six,
I can ask our engineering dept if they have his data, most likely they do. The LS engine is a different animal when it comes to oil flow at higher rpms, 18gpm is race car oil flow for sure. Let me see what I can find out and will post results.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Zee0Six,
I can ask our engineering dept if they have his data, most likely they do. The LS engine is a different animal when it comes to oil flow at higher rpms, 18gpm is race car oil flow for sure. Let me see what I can find out and will post results.

Jay, that would be great if you could get that data to see how the full synthetic Ultra flows - I'm thinking just as good or better than the PureOne. I don't know why Purolator ran that filter up to 18 GPM, but apparently they did - with hot oil of course.

I think the LS series engine with stock oil pump will put out around 10~12 GPM max with oil at full temperature ... doubt it will do 18 GPM stock.

Thanks for your input.

Zee,
I was able to get flow numbers for the XG10060, this is the later model LS filter, exactly the same as the XG3506 except the 3506 has 13/16ths threads and the XG10060 has 22mm threads
For 30w Oil at 180 deg F

XG10060
Flow (Psid)
3 1.7
6 3
8 4.1
9.7 5.2

Hope this helps and let me know if you have further questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back