Land Rover 2.5 non-turbo diesel oil choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for thoughts on oil choices, specifically synthetics, on an older European diesel. Diesel neophyte here.

I just acquired a French spec 1985 Land Rover Defender d90 w/ a fresh 2.5na diesel engine. It has a break in oil which I will be changing to a quality mineral 15w-40 soon. I will be changing that in about 1k miles and want to go to a 5w-40 synth (Rotella T6, M1 TDT, etc.) for easier starting and the usual benefits.

Does anyone see any issues w/ a synthetic?

This is a nice weather beach and trail family toy that will not see New England Winter salty roads so I do not expect much in the way of true cold starts.

Thank you.

The cheapest Rotella or Delo Chevron will be fine. Without the heat of a turbocharger, this engine is very easy on oil. Something that is diesel rated to keep the soot suspended but those things aren't picky.

You could try some UK forums that owners of ex MOD (Army, RAF, Navy) Land Rovers as the 2.5NA was the engine of choice for them until the Wolf version came out as a replacement with the more modern TDi engine, can't remember if it is the 200tdi or 300tdi off the top of my head.

But the 2.5 NA, as already mentioned, was a hardy lump with the main design parameter being simplicity and durability in theatre rather than driveability and performance.

You can tell if the engine was rebuilt by REME as they painted them all a rather wired colour, a sort of creamy, green colour if memory serves correctly.

Wish I could be more help on exact oil specs.

But I would definitely give some UK Land Rover forums a look in.

That engine is not the most common now, even in Europe, but there is a very knowledgable club scene in Europe/UK which could be a useful resource.

Good luck with your "new" Landy, always had a soft spot for the Defender 90.

Thanks, looks like 15w-40 for the near future.

Nice fleets to both of you!

Bigjl, the 2.5na is a bit mild and may be a candidate for a 200tdi swap at some point. I'd have preferred to bring in a 200tdi or better powered one, but we have some rather idiotic laws that prevent cars that are somehow safe enough for the rest of the world from being imported here...so I'll be patient.

w

Originally Posted By: wings&wheels
Thanks, looks like 15w-40 for the near future.

Nice fleets to both of you!

Bigjl, the 2.5na is a bit mild and may be a candidate for a 200tdi swap at some point. I'd have preferred to bring in a 200tdi or better powered one, but we have some rather idiotic laws that prevent cars that are somehow safe enough for the rest of the world from being imported here...so I'll be patient.

w

Personally I'd go 300Tdi when the time comes as some 200Tdi bits, eg. heads are as rare as rocking horse poo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back