Oil Filter Magnet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll keep my question short.

I'm looking for your thoughts on Oil Filter Magnets. Do they work? Pro's / Con's - or are all the claims lies?
dunno.gif

I believe Bob has opened some filters with magnets on them and found metal on the insides. It certainly cannot hurt anything and if you have any old dead computer hard drives you can open them and remove very powerful magnets for free!
grin.gif

I have oil filters with built in magnets on my Harley-DAvidson bike.......they always trap small iron particles.......does anyone know where I can buy these magnets for automotive filters.

smile.gif
Thanks everyone so far. I appreciate the links to the products but here is the bottom line. I asked my questions "here" because I trust you guys to give me "the answers". I don't want to visit a website and be spoon fed with marketing mumbo jumbo.
gr_eek2.gif

Absolutely. Reading my reply again I see I mixed up answers. The google product portion was for Alex & the local search results for you. M-u-s-t t-y-p-e s-l-o-w-e-r.
smile.gif

A magnet on your oil filter is certainly a good idea. I have been using 'Bear straps' for years. Its just a rubber strap filled with powerful magnets that straps to the oil filter.
I have cut them open and found a surprising amount of debris in them! Best of all,other than the magnet....its free! Good Luck!
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by cobravenom71:

I have cut them open and found a surprising amount of debris in them! Best of all,other than the magnet....its free! Good Luck!
cheers.gif

Wouldn't the media have also filtered the debris out?

I guess it could "save" your media for non-metalic particles....
wink.gif
wink.gif

I've had 8 strong magnets on my filters for the last 13 years and they have always collected piles of metal filings. So much in fact that it worries me to see it all! Some pieces are big enough to look grey/silvery, while other stuff is so fine it looks like black mud.

Not neccessary......I realize a good thing when I see it..... plus several of my 4x4 mags I read just reviewed it...in addition I read about these neodymic magnets on the web and that was convincing too...anyone can put a regular ferro magnet in their device, sell it for less than half the price, but it still would not be what you want if you look for maximum magnetic force
quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
Boy Alex, 2 different threads with your posts about filtermag.com. Maybe they would like to pay to become a SITE SUPPORTER!

[ December 18, 2002, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Alex D ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back