Honda Civic R18 ATF Filter change....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most are unaware that the R18 Civics have an ATF filter. I would highly recommend changing this out from time to time...

From the ones I have seen cut open online, it looks like it can get pretty nasty clogged at an early mileage. Part number 25430-plr-003. It is located on the driver side close to the fire wall down below the air box.

atf_filter_188.jpg

Good call. Many skip the filters on the A/T Accords too. For your spec, does anyone make them aftermarket or only OEM?

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm at 25k miles on my this latest drain-and-refill (DW-1)

I tried looking for this info when we first bought my wife's used '08 R18 Civic, but I couldn't find a thing, not even in the Haynes manual. Have you pulled one open to see what kind of build up you have?

Our CR-V has a possibly identical filter, mounted down below the cooling fans. I've never touched it. Maybe on the next DW-1 change.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I was reading somewhere that Honda dealers deny there is an ATF filter on the Accords and Civics.

Can't say I'm surprised to read that. Afaik, the V6 Accord transmission filter is not listed as a 'serviceable' maintenance item/part.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I was reading somewhere that Honda dealers deny there is an ATF filter on the Accords and Civics.

Happened to me when I was looking for the AT filter for my 05 Accord 4 cyl. Guy at the parts counter was pretty confident they didn't have a external serviceable filter. I assured him there is one but didn't know the part number. He finally got to the parts diagram and was surprised to see it.

With Accords, it depends on the year. The erlier Gen 6 doesn't have one (my does now ( : < ) but later Gen 6 and Gen 7 has one (IIRC) but it's not much of a filter. Don't know anything about the R18 Civic but Cooper's advice to change it is very good. Looks like that setup could be easily changed to a Magnefine, which is very likely a more efficient filter.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Looks like that setup could be easily changed to a Magnefine, which is very likely a more efficient filter.

I'd like to do this. Any one know which size magnefine?

My Accord used the 3/8 size Magnefine. Can't speak to the Civic. To be sure, measure. The MF really cleaned up the oil in my Accord. Dropped a couple of ISO codes in the PC I did. Gotta help it last longer!

My Accord used the 3/8 size Magnefine. Can't speak to the Civic. To be sure, measure. The MF really cleaned up the oil in my Accord. Dropped a couple of ISO codes in the PC I did. Gotta help it last longer!

I'll do that if I have time over the next couple of weeks. I'm very curious to see whether the OEM filter is truly a filter or simply a magnetic catch.

Yes, it is an actual filter. This is what it looks like cut open at 60k miles if you don't change it and are running Z1. So glad that Honda says it doesn't need serviced.....or even acknowledge that it even exists.

IMG_0312.jpg

Yowza, Cooper! You got it changed just in time. Is there some kinda bypass on that thing? What is the media made from?

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Looks like that setup could be easily changed to a Magnefine, which is very likely a more efficient filter.

I'd like to do this. Any one know which size magnefine?

I have a 3/8" Magnefine. I will try and take some pictures of it and get them posted.

Yowza, Cooper! You got it changed just in time. Is there some kinda bypass on that thing? What is the media made from?

It appears to be a standard paper media filter.

The 09 Civic came with Z-1. I changed it out at 20k to OEM DW-1 with 4x drain and fills. I did another 4x drain and fill at 40k with DW-1 again. It has 60k now. I am getting ready to do another drain and fill x4. I plan on doing 4x drain and fills at 30k miles from this point forward.

I would assume that most of the stuff in the filter is from break in. I would change this filter as soon as possible if you haven't already to get the break in wear stuff out of there.

My transmission shifts perfectly fine...... I have never had any issues with it at all. The fluid has always looked pretty decent. Well, the Z-1 looked horrible and smelled burnt at 20k, but the DW-1 has always looked and smelled pretty good.

These trannies are one of the few Honda transmissions from the 00's that doesn't have too many issues. I am not too concerned it will fail. I did have an 03 Odyssey that failed at around 100k, then again at 150k. That was fun. Honestly, that is why I am buying Subaru's now. I plan on driving the Civic until I can give it to one of my boys, then buying an Impreza. It is just work transportation....we don't drive the Civic for anything else. It gets 35 mile one way trips, mostly all freeway daily.

So, is there any reason to go with an aftermarket filter instead of OEM? Is there any risk in using an aftermarket filter? The OEM filter pictured above looks pretty simple, but effective.

There doesn't seem to be much of a difference in price, so the aftermarket filter would have to be verifiably better for me to choose it.

So, is there any reason to go with an aftermarket filter instead of OEM?

Probably better efficiency (if we are talking Magnefine). The filter part is absolute at about 35 um, the magnetic part is 99% on all ferrous debris). You would need to know the specs on the Honda to make a comparison. Good luck getting that.

Is there any risk in using an aftermarket filter?

"Any" risk? Of course, but the Honda also falls into that category.

The OEM filter pictured above looks pretty simple, but effective.

Agreed.

There doesn't seem to be much of a difference in price, so the aftermarket filter would have to be verifiably better for me to choose it.

The Magnefine is cheaper than a Magnefine... that's unknown.

Last edited:
The OEM is $20-$30 depending on source. Your local dealer may charge more. Don't pay more than that. I am only using Magnefine because I have a couple of them laying around. I would use OEM without any worries as well. Magnefine is probably the better filter, but you also don't have the OEM brackets and such to use. So, there is a negative as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back