How good are Baldwin and Hastings filters really??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that Amsoil sells the Hastings filter line under their Amsoil brand. You can get these filters cheaper elsewhere on the net. I also found a place where you can buy Baldwin filters for around $4-5.
How good are these filters really and does it make sense to use them instead of AC, Purolator, Wix and such. has anyone here done any testing on these??
Any info is appreciated

I have never cut any of these open. However, I have done some checking on them. Baldwin makes Hastings and Amsoil filters. I don't think there is any difference in the Baldwin and Hastings. Just a different paint job. In the case of Amsoil filters, I understand the media is different in that they use a synthetic type. The Amsoil filters are rated at 98% effective at 20 microns and about 65% at 10 microns. The information I got from Hastings is they are 98.7% effective at 45 microns and 50% at 22 microns. Baldwin also uses a type of synthetic in their filters that are rated "severe service". I don't have any numbers on these. Not all Baldwins are rated severe service. I think that the severe service filters are more in the heavy equipment type. I really don't think you will go wrong with any of these filters. Just depends on how much money you want to spend.

Regards,

Thanks WESTEX.....looking at the efficiency of these filters, they are no really as good as Mobil 1 or K&N oilfilters........what do you think...
quote:

Originally posted by westex39:
I have never cut any of these open. However, I have done some checking on them. Baldwin makes Hastings and Amsoil filters. I don't think there is any difference in the Baldwin and Hastings. Just a different paint job. In the case of Amsoil filters, I understand the media is different in that they use a synthetic type. The Amsoil filters are rated at 98% effective at 20 microns and about 65% at 10 microns. The information I got from Hastings is they are 98.7% effective at 45 microns and 50% at 22 microns. Baldwin also uses a type of synthetic in their filters that are rated "severe service". I don't have any numbers on these. Not all Baldwins are rated severe service. I think that the severe service filters are more in the heavy equipment type. I really don't think you will go wrong with any of these filters. Just depends on how much money you want to spend.

Regards,

The people at K&N gave me these ratings. 90% efficient at 10 microns. This was a multipass test. Mobil one stated that their filters were 98% efficient in the 10 to 20 micron range. From what I've read on these forums, both these filters are top quality.
There are some filters out there that do not get very good grades such as Fram, Pennzoil, & Quaker State. These are made by Fram.

BTW Alex D,

I forgot to mention that Amsoil filters are good filters but, they are not application specific. That try to cover as many applications with one filter as they can. For example, On my truck it calls for a AC PF59. This filter does not have a bypass valve. It doesn't need one because the valve is built into the engine. However, the Amsoil filter (SDF64) for this application does have a bypass valve set at 7 to 9 psid. Also, the valve is mounted in the bottom of the filter. If it opens the oil has to go by the filtering media prior to getting to the valve. I have reservations about this as some of the previously filtered contaminates may get flushed back into the oil stream directly into the engine. The mobil 1 filter for my truck does not have the bypass valve (M1-206). So I will probably use the Mobil 1 for that reason.

quote:

Originally posted by Alex D:
I know that Amsoil sells the Hastings filter line under their Amsoil brand. You can get these filters cheaper elsewhere on the net. I also found a place where you can buy Baldwin filters for around $4-5.
How good are these filters really and does it make sense to use them instead of AC, Purolator, Wix and such. has anyone here done any testing on these??
Any info is appreciated

Amsoil filters are not Hastings! Amsoil just markets the Hastings brand so thier dealers will have a source for every filter application imaginable. They are manf. by Clark Corp. to Amsoil Specs.

BTW
I have used Amsoil filters since 1977 with exceppent results. NO testing here.

quote:

I have never cut any of these open. However, I have done some checking on them. Baldwin makes Hastings and Amsoil filters. I don't think there is any difference in the Baldwin and Hastings. Just a different paint job.

Where did you get this information. Mine info comes from Amsoil and thay have told me that Clark Corp manf. the filter to thier specs.

[ November 30, 2002, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Mike,

I never heard of the Clark Corp. I did call Hastings about two weeks ago and they told me that they did make filters for Amsoil. They would not give me any information about the Amsoil filters though. Stating that it was proprietary information.

I just did a search of the Clark Corp. Seems they may make the filtering media for the Amsoil Filters. It's called POWERLOFT.

This makes much mpore sense than the other way around. hastings is a MAJOR filter supplier to the aotomotive and especially commercial equipment industry. I doubt that Amsoil has the clout, capability or interest for that matter to service these markets.
quote:

Originally posted by westex39:
Mike,

I never heard of the Clark Corp. I did call Hastings about two weeks ago and they told me that they did make filters for Amsoil. They would not give me any information about the Amsoil filters though. Stating that it was proprietary information.

Clarcor is an old and large filtration company and the parent of both Baldwin and Hastings Filters among others. (Baldwin and Hastings Filters actually share office and manufacturing space.) Baldwin targets more of the industrial/farming market where Hastings concentrates on automotive, though where they overlap the filters are the same. Amsoil filters draw from this pool.

Here's a local thread with more info: (searched for "baldwin amsoil")

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000123#000012

David

Some keep the rumor alive that Amsoil, Hastings and Baldwin are the same filter. I have been hearing it for years and when I asked Amsoil, they told me that Clark Corp. (that was the name at the time) manufactured their filters to Amsoil's Spec. They also told me they have thier own plant for manufacturing the air filters.

[ December 01, 2002, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:
Some keep the rumor alive that Amsoil, Hastings and Baldwin are the same filter. I have been hearing it for years and when I asked Amsoil, they told me that Clark Corp. (that was the name at the time) manufactured their filters to Amsoil's Spec. They also told me they have thier own plant for manufacturing the air filters.

Sorry, I spoke with the Baldwin folks last year, Hastings is a marketing name only and HAstings and Amsoil are made in the same plant in Nebraska. If someone will cut open a Hastings and Amsoil filter you will see they are duplicates. Amsoil swears they are made to different specs but cut one open and see for yourself!!!!!!!!!!!

And, Baldwin told me last year that their Baldwin brand and Hastings brand filters are identical.

Ken

I'm willing to bet the "different spec" part is inferred. Either by sales reps, customers, or both. All filters are made to "a spec". In this case it appears "Amsoil's specs" are the ones provided by Baldwin/Hastings which are known to make very good filters for their own brands.

I want a copy of their Christmas Filter Outsourcing Catalog, or at least the options page.
wink.gif

Clarcor employees don't want to sabotage a customer's business so they won't say theirs are the same in so many words. Neither will they tell you they're any different though. As with any marketing, listen between the lines, or, save time by cutting a few filters apart.

David

I'm speaking entirely about oil filters. Something else may be going on with Amsoil air & fuel filters. We recently heard some of their in-house air filters were discontinued recently. Due to mfg cost & demand issues?

But, Have you personally cut one open? Or are you just speculating? I want to see it.

They are discontinuing special order custom made air filters. Just not profitable!

I have a Hastings catalog in front of me and I have an Amsoil catalog also. Both show the innards of the filters and they look different to me!

[ December 01, 2002, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Someone wrote about Amsoil SDF oil filters:

quote:

Also, the valve is mounted in the bottom of the filter. If it opens the oil has to go by the filtering media prior to getting to the valve.

This is simply NOT true. The pressure bypass valve is at the "top" of the filter where the oil comes in. Please take one apart and carefully analyze one - follow and think about the oil flow. These babies are a tad more complex that than the "average" filter. Yes there is a spring at the bottom, but it has nothing to do with pressure bypass mechanism. And suddenly you may also realize why the Amsoil filter has a 10 psi bypass. Well constructed but no mystery.

On topic: Amsoil filters appear and probably are made by Baldwin. But what makes it a bit strange is that the specs are different. Maybe I'll get the Baldwin equal of say a SDF-42 and see.

For sure I'll get the Hastings LF490 tomorrow and see if it is the same as an Amsoil SDF-42!

quote:

But, Have you personally cut one open? Or are you just speculating? I want to see it.

Neither. However, I have found that cynical speculation outperforms marketing information where accuracy is concerned.
smile.gif

Some time ago while searching on this topic I read a post with an Amsoil and a Hastings filter cut open. They did appear identical. (after 10 minutes looking I can't find it) The poster said as much. I've since spoken by phone to different parts of the Clarcor company that makes them. Everyone was cagey, not directly answering if they're identical, or if theirs are different than amsoil's. Contractual hush agreements? It very much seems as if there are differences in color and of course specs between models but otherwise nothing. I welcome anyone with convenient access to both brands to chop up matching filters and see what's inside. Believe me, I like to hear the reality behind the claims. Most of the time it's disappointing but I enjoy being pleasantly surprised.

Say, you have both catalogs. Can't you order both at a discount?

David

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Someone wrote about Amsoil SDF oil filters:

quote:

Also, the valve is mounted in the bottom of the filter. If it opens the oil has to go by the filtering media prior to getting to the valve.

This is simply NOT true. The pressure bypass valve is at the "top" of the filter where the oil comes in. Please take one apart and carefully analyze one - follow and think about the oil flow. These babies are a tad more complex that than the "average" filter. Yes there is a spring at the bottom, but it has nothing to do with pressure bypass mechanism. And suddenly you may also realize why the Amsoil filter has a 10 psi bypass. Well constructed but no mystery.

On topic: Amsoil filters appear and probably are made by Baldwin. But what makes it a bit strange is that the specs are different. Maybe I'll get the Baldwin equal of say a SDF-42 and see.

For sure I'll get the Hastings LF490 tomorrow and see if it is the same as an Amsoil SDF-42!

The only legitimate reason for a bypass valve setting lower than OEM is if the filter media has lower flow resistance while it has equal or better filtration. That is possible and may be the case...I can't find out and I don't believe anybody that doesn't have the documentation.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by OneQuartLow:

quote:

Neither. However, I have found that cynical speculation outperforms marketing information where accuracy is concerned.
smile.gif

Some time ago while searching on this topic I read a post with an Amsoil and a Hastings filter cut open. They did appear identical. (after 10 minutes looking I can't find it) The poster said as much. I've since spoken by phone to different parts of the Clarcor company that makes them. Everyone was cagey, not directly answering if they're identical, or if theirs are different than amsoil's. Contractual hush agreements? It very much seems as if there are differences in color and of course specs between models but otherwise nothing. I welcome anyone with convenient access to both brands to chop up matching filters and see what's inside. Believe me, I like to hear the reality behind the claims. Most of the time it's disappointing but I enjoy being pleasantly surprised.

Say, you have both catalogs. Can't you order both at a discount?

David

I have ordered both the SFF64 and the HastingsLF487. Those are the ones my 2001 GMC 5.3L would use. I have cut open a Fram PH3675 and an AC Delco PF59 already. btw-The Fram was mostly card board and paper media while the AC was metal & paper media. I showed a long time friend who sells Fram at his shop and he was suprised they were that flimsy but I suppose they are only designed to last 3000 miles.

I am trying to get a Baldwin B1432 but the supplier has not returned my call.

When you talk to people on the phone at these places you are lucky if they even know what a oil filter is. Whats more they are not going to give product information that may help a competitor. I contacted GM powertrain once trying to find out about the AutoTrac II transfer case fluid so I could try synthetic in my truck. They were very arrogant too and told me its a propritery product and they would not give that information out. Then they asked me why in the world I needed to know that? So you can't blame a company for not giving out all information, its not to their advantage.

[ December 02, 2002, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back