Remington 700 - 300 blackout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve, I was afraid that was the case in your great country...too bad really...there are so many good features/attributes of that rifle...it's real "sin" is how it looks...

We live in a world where appearance trumps analysis... I could have bought one of these...clearly a hunting rifle...but no different in function...in fact, I think that DPMS is making them, or they share parts with Remington...

http://www.remington.com/en/products/firearms/centerfire/model-r-25/model-r-25-rifle.aspx

Spent some time at the range last week with my 13 year old, her first time at the range, and the venerable 10/22 was how we started. Great rifle for learning and plinking...with ammo coming back in stock...I was thinking of adding one to the collection...

The unfortunate situation in OZ with regard to individual rights, and individual freedoms, is a lesson for us here...but I notice that you've got a Federal election coming up...and I hear that the public sentiment is swinging back to Conservative...

So, perhaps there is hope?

Last edited:
Astro,
one of the reasons that I keep pulling out the "evil" looking Remington Pump is that the average person can't tell the difference in why two "evil" looking rifles are treated differently.

The reverse, that one is legal as it's not got an "auto" in it's name, and the other just looks like it doesn't wash...especially when a 10-22 has "auto" in its name and is therefore "assault" before you even put a black plastic stock on it.

Doesn't matter who you vote for, you get a politician...It was the conservatives that proposed and passed this legislation back in the 90s, and they have vowed never to repeal it.

edit...The conservatives HAVE, however, suggested that they might take extra efforts in finding and punishing those who circumvent legal channels for gun ownership. Has to be better that the 10mm glock, never available to civilians, carries a higher penalty.

Last edited:
I guess I might have intro'd myself to the forums in my first post here, said howdy etc. My bad. I'm in my codger years.

Shannow, I commiserate with your great loss of freedoms down under. What a crying and clearly globalist, crimes against humanity, shame. In every instance of disarming populaces, democide follows like clockwork. The figures are mind-blowing and sickening.

DEMOCIDE: MURDER BY GOVERNMENT

Governments have murdered hundreds of millions of their citizens and those under their control. The questions are, then, how is this democide defined, is genocide included, how many have been killed, how do we find this out, and what sources can be used?

http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/MURDER.HTM

They are working O/T here to do us likewise.

Few of my fav quotes re: the born with human right of self preservation and determination free from the molestations of others, the criminal state and assorted colluding co-gangsters of the Corruption Is Awesome set, etc.

James Madison, the principal architect of the U.S. Constitution, noted in 1795:
“Of all the enemies of public liberty, war is perhaps the most to be dreaded, because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. War is the parent of armies. From these proceed debts and taxes. And armies, debts and taxes are the known instruments for bringing the many under the dominion of the few.... No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”

John Quincy Adams similarly in 1821, stated the following about America:
“She has abstained from interference in the concerns of others, even when conflict has been for principles to which she clings, as to the last vital drop that visits the heart. She has seen that probably for centuries to come, all the contests of that Aceldama the European world, will be contests of inveterate power, and emerging right. Wherever the standard of freedom and Independence has been or shall be unfurled, there will her heart, her benedictions and her prayers be. But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own. She will commend the general cause by the countenance of her voice, and the benignant sympathy of her example. She well knows that by once enlisting under other banners than her own, were they even the banners of foreign independence, she would involve herself beyond the power of extrication, in all the wars of interest and intrigue, of individual avarice, envy, and ambition, which assume the colors and usurp the standard of freedom. The fundamental maxims of her policy would insensibly change from liberty to force.... She might become the dictatress of the world. She would be no longer the ruler of her own spirit.... [America’s] glory is not dominion, but liberty.”

Richard Henry Lee, Additional Letters From The Federal Farmer, 1788
To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always posses arms...

Samuel Adams, Massachusetts' U.S. Constitution ratification convention, 1788
The Constitution [shall] be never construed to ... prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams
Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack upon our liberty, we encourage it.

Noah Webster, An Examination of The Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution, Philadelphia, 1787
The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword, because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force far superior to any band of regular troops...

Thomas Jefferson, Proposed Virginia Constitution, 1776
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

John Adams, A Defense of the Constitution of Government of the United States of America, 1788
Arms in the hands of individual citizens [may] be used at individual discretion ... in private self-defense...

Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775
...[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.

Edmund Burke, Speech at country meeting of Buckinghamshire, 1784
The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Patrick Henry, Virginia's U.S. Constitution ratification convention
Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. When you give up that force you are ruined.

William Pitt, Speech, November 18, 1777
If I were an American, as I am an Englishman, while a foreign troop was landed in my country, I would never lay down my arms - never - never - never! You cannot conquer America.

William Pitt

Necessity is the plea for infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

James Madison, The Federalist, No.46

(The Constitution preserves) the advantage of being armed which Americans posses over the people of almost every other nation ... (where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.

Thomas Jefferson, August 19, 1785

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercise I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion on your walks.

George Washington

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action”.

The snowballing comingling of international forces, in situ here and now, for urban combat trainings does NOT bode well for humanity. And as yet still armed, we might as well have sticks and stones against their drones, sound and heat cannon, and increasingly Stasi-style technik.

After many years, I viddy'd "The Lives of Others" last night again. It's set in the GDR leading up to the wall's falling.

"See something, say something" to a T.

And BTW, almost no major war nor financial collapse of the last 2-300 yrs didn't exactly coincide without major power enhancing or establishing of banking "reforms", consolidations, or fiat from thin air interest bearing debt money central banks instituted to the detriment of common folk the world over.

Of course the BIS-centric and choreographed cabal of state central banks, are now in the final stages of converting the remaining resistors in the style of the Czar, the banker created crash of 1907, or their creations Marx-Trotsky-Lenin-Stalin, Bismarck-Hitler, Churchill, Mussolini and the greatest American commie coddler FDR, the great mutual admiration society in their continuous stream of bankster puppet frontmen.

See American lawyer & abolitionist Lysander Spooner's 1867 essay "No Treason...." section XVIII where he explains his POV on der banksters.

http://lysanderspooner.org/node/64

BTW - have a "saved from the shear" one of your VIC marked Cadets.

BOB if this is too long, I will refrain in future.

Originally Posted By: marxbites
I guess I might have intro'd myself to the forums in my first post here, said howdy etc. My bad. I'm in my codger years.

M-B, Welcome and some great first posts! I like the way you think, you and I are in full agreement.

BITOG is an interesting, and very technical forum, and it has a lot to offer. One thing that I've noticed is that politics don't seem to be allowed. I think the good folks that run this forum think that it keeps the peace here. They may be right.

Yes, at times they allow threads with some politics. And, there is a very political thread going on right now. But, most of the time, they seem to get locked fairly quickly.

In any case, it's good to see you here.

Last edited:
Find as Remington 700P in 338 Lapua. Nice gun. Can be had NIB for about $1500. Top it with good glass and you too can play at 1000 yds.

Ammo is expensive, so reloading is the way to go. It's like $6 every time you pull the trigger on one with factory ammo.

I have this gun with a few mods. Changed the bolt handle. Removed the factory muzzle brake and installed a VIAS brake. These rifles come with 40X triggers so adjustment is easy. Installed a 8.5X25 Leupold MK4 with MK4 bases and rings. Painted it camo. Shoots less than 1/2 MOA or better with my reloads. I use Nosler brass, Sierra 250gr MKHP's with Federal 215 primers and Alliant RL25.

Not the cheapest set up, but not bad for a factory rifle. Weighs about 11 pounds with a loaded AI detachable 5 shot magazine. Recoil is tolerable, especially with the VIAS brake.

Cujet, thanks for the hospitality and backslap! Happy to be here.

What politics Cujet? I was posting settled history.

Forgot to mention in my prev posts that I found this website searching for the most inexpensive oil to use in my new old (3,400mis - now 4,600mis) 2003 Suzuki SV650 after having not riden for over 40 yrs. Prev and first bike was a bought new [$700-ish] 1972 Yamaha 175 Enduro.

Decided to try the Rotella-T with its SJ and JASO ratings for now. Shell's spec sheet says motorcycle useage as well. At $13/gal at my local Wallyworld, figured its worth a shot.

So far so good. Still having some false neutrals esp from 1st - 2nd, but may just be my rusty technique b/c sometimes I nail it pretty smoothly ;>)

Yes, this IS a very cool website it seems so far!

Anyway, we're in the same neck of the woods it looks like Cujet.

Gunshow at the Fairgrounds this weekend, and range days at the PBSO range next weekend.

I missed last months "twofer" out of shear laziness, haha.

BTW- I became apolitical sort of. After voting Rep since I voted for RMN absentee from boot. I registered independamt, when the GOPigs broke ALL their own rules to keep Ron Paul from speaking at Tampa. Like the following Monday!

Originally Posted By: marxbites

Forgot to mention in my prev posts that I found this website searching for the most inexpensive oil to use in my new old (3,400mis - now 4,600mis) 2003 Suzuki SV650 after having not riden for over 40 yrs. Prev and first bike was a bought new [$700-ish] 1972 Yamaha 175 Enduro.

Ha! Too funny. I ride a 2005 SV1000s. I'm using M1, 10W-40 motorcycle oil. It's too early to tell if it's any good in that bike. I'm generally not a fan of conventional oils in bikes. But, the Suzuki 650 is one tough engine and will outlast the both of us! Even without any oil at all, or antifreeze, or spark plugs for that matter. Well, maybe that's a stretch.. but not much of one. They really do last.

Cujet,

Now that IS a funny coincidence.

Re: bikes, it resurfaced for me when my A/C sub ran over on his lil Honda CRF [50-100cc's]? to drop off a bill one afternoon laying it down on its side as he got off it.

I asked if I could try it for as spin around the yard. I was barefoot, picked it up and got on, gave it a kickstart and zipped around the house like I never forgot how.

So at first I was keen on another dirt bike. Did the eBay and Craigslist searches, online mags etc., when I hit on the SV as being perhaps one of the most successful models ever made w/10 yrs or so of production. I read the comps between it and the FZR & Kawis. And liked the naked version's more upright seating position.

Forgot; after deciding a dirtbike was fairly limiting, I first looked at the BMW K75's and air & oil head boxers. I always loved those classics, but THEN hit on the SV.

Saw that vs a $30K Panigale that'll do 0-60 in 2.9secs the SV does 3.9 secs at 1/10th the cost! And nary a negative review I could find except for the minimal suspension.

I have read that many SV owners love the M1, and many others say as long as the oil meets the ratings in factory manual one may use the Rotella.

As soon as I got it home from St Pete, I changed the oil/filter w/Castrol MC 10w40 after a few hundred mis tooling around the Farms w/o my MSF yet. Even tho the dealer said all fluids had just been changed, I noticed the brake fluid looked a bit too yellow to have been JUST changed, and after about 1,200 mis of my own now, I just put in the Rotella w/o a new filter.

Having had 3 VW's, a new 1972 ($1,989.00+tx), my step-gramp's 6V '65 and a '66 in that order, I was trained early on frequent oil changes. Man I loved those VW's, did all my own maint with the ole "Idiot's..." repair book, set valves, etc. And I eventually re-jugged the '66.

I put on some 2" adjustable bar risers that has taken all the slack out of my clutch and throttle cables. Approaching lock you can hear the cable sheaths rubbing as they tighten. So was thinking I need to replace them both, and as the oem rubber brake lines are 10 yrs old now, thought I should get some new SS lines, and should probably change the 10 yr old fork oil too.

There's a Brit vendor on eBay that will add the 2" I need on the front lines for free. All three lines with steel vs aluum fittings/bolts a tad over $100 w/shpg.

Your thoughts?

PS: re outlasting me, that's for SURE with only 10-15yrs to go if I'm lucky! My two yr old and first and only grandson loves to sit on it when I visit and makes vroom vroom sounds!! Breaks me right up.

And I have NOT let his dad, my 30 yr old son, try it out yet but know he's aching to - he's got a youth driving record as long as your arm, hehe. So unless I screw up bigtime it'll be passed down to him and maybe my grandson after.

I have friends in G-Ville (my own post service alma mater) that I've just not gotten the gumption to yet visit being a 3 hr trip from here. Someday maybe.

BTW the SV came with the oem gel seat that's never gotten uncomfortable for my bony butt yet, and I put on 3/4" lower links to get my feet flat, but I did not correspondingly lower the forks and feel no neg diff I can detect. Also it came with LN Michelin Power Pure dual compounds that still have a little border of chicken strips, [censored] and all. They seem to grip very well. They are also one of the lightest tires made iirc.

OA very happy with my $3.2K "investment", plus helmet, hi-vis jacket and boots. I tell myself I'm getting 40-50 mpg and it's worth every penny!

W/a look at todays charts.......maybe shoulda bought some au & ag instead, ha!

Methinks our financial "hegemon Ponzi dollar" end is nearing. WW3 in the making I guess TF! Of course "they" have bunkers out the wazoo.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Thinking of a 700 tactical of some sort. Anyone own one?

I have 7 Remington 700s all in custom varmint rifles (.17 Remington, .221 Fireball (2), .223 Remington, .22-250 (2), and a 6MM BR). While I could have used a custom action from the start, my cost was substantially reduced by using the stock actions and having them blueprinted along with fully bedded/floated H-S Precision stocks, Jewell triggers, Hart fluted SS barrels, and NF optics. All of mine will place 5 shots in the same hole at 200 yards and are absolute prairie dog HKs.

I have no reservations or regrets about using a Remington 700 as the basis for a custom rifle and I think any of them would serve you well. You did not mention (unless I missed it) how far you are attempting to shoot, but out to about 1000 yards any of the short action calibers in >7MM should work well for you (assuming paper is the target).

I also mistakenly thought you were interested in long range.

Do you currently or want to begin to reload your own?

If it's sub-sonics, or at least quieter reduced loads, you can easily approximate the 300aac with the much more readily available 223, 308 & 7.62x39.

At reduced velocities you can also use cheaper cast bullets. Many use pulled projectiles from milsurp ammo.

The cheaper per round the more you'll shoot.

Some links:

Reduced Power Rifle loads which Use Alliant Pistol and Shotgun Powders
http://gunlore.awardspace.info/rifledarms/hercules.htm

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895 Reduced Rifle Loads.pdf

Development of & loading the 300
http://www.americanrifleman.org/Webcontent/pdf/2009-5/200951192414-r805_bench copy.pdf

http://www.hodgdon.com/basic-manual-inquiry.html

http://www.accuratereloading.com/index.html

http://www.accurateshooter.com/

I learned a lot from these.

No I was just on a kick for "a" 700 because I had the opportunity to fire the 300 blackout, suppressed.

I dont think it is in the cards (my time, sanity or need) to get a suppressed version, though it is really neat and I love the silence. So its a matter of getting a 700 model (liked the tactical) in a practical caliber that with some good glass I can use on the local ranges to about 600 yards, hitting paper or some metal targets. Just for fun and to learn the other physics associated with firing long-range.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So its a matter of getting a 700 model (liked the tactical) in a practical caliber that with some good glass I can use on the local ranges to about 600 yards, hitting paper or some metal targets. Just for fun and to learn the other physics associated with firing long-range.

JH - go for a .308. The ammo will be readily available (the current frenzy may affect this some) and will have many different bullet types and weights available to you.

.308 vs .223 huh? Will it just have that much better ballistics at 4-600 yds?

I thought .223 for lower cost but I'll have to learn more. Thanks!!

I've had my CZ527 out to 600, and it'll hit a dinner plate nearly every time out there.

Another club member has a Zastava Mini Mauser that he took out to 900. 900 had some keyholing, and was definitely transsonic around then.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
You can hit 600 yrds with a .223 but there isn't much steam left. Wind becomes a bigger factor with a slow moving light bullet.

Adds to the challenge!

Not states around here allow rifle hunting. I want to learn the ballistics and planning part of it as mush as the marksmanship.

Ultimately I'd like to get into my own propellant blends, but not sure that's in the cards.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
You can hit 600 yrds with a .223 but there isn't much steam left. Wind becomes a bigger factor with a slow moving light bullet.

+1 - we have hit prairie dogs at nearly 500 with a .223, but the "oomph" was all but gone at that distance. If you are set on using a .223, you could also opt for heavier bullets, but you have to be certain the twist in the barrel is matched for the bullet. Such as (borrowed from http://www.shilen.com/calibersAndTwists.html):

.224 CF
1 in 7" -- for bullets heavier than 70 gr.
1 in 8" -- for bullets heavier than 70 gr.
1 in 9" -- for bullets up to 70 gr.
1 in 10" -- for bullets up to 65 gr.
1 in 12" -- for bullets up to 63 gr.
1 in 14" -- for bullets up to 55 gr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back