Seat Belts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I have a 2006 Corolla that has a seat belt that does not retract all the way when unbuckled. It's one of the rear seat belts. While I doubt I will have any passengers in the rear (commuter car) but it will snag larger items I put in the back.

Does anyone know if seat belts are supposed to be covered by a lifetime warranty federal law or something by the manufacturer? IIRC, there was some write-up about it some time ago but I can't seem to find it.

Want to know before I call up the garage.

That would be nice,but most companies discontinued old applications years ago.So,even if there was a warranty (not) they couldnt replace them anyway.Just another way for you to have to buy a new car....they arent stupid,they know what they are doing.Each car has its own "time bomb" waiting to go off...that will either make the car not legal or not "right" for the owner to continue to drive.For most GMs its the rocker panels and door bottoms,Focus cars seem to lose radiator supports and rockers,Saturns burn oil and rust out the trailing link supports in the rear.When seats rip,padding settles,headliner falls,seat belts go weak...for most people...enough is enough.How else do they sell 15 million new cars a year??

Nissans 1989-2002 have lifetime warranties on seatbelts. Starting with 2003 it's 10 years from the manufacturing date.

I have no idea about Honda. The seatbelt warranty would be stated in the warranty booklet, though.

Honda Warranty Handbook page 32:
http://owners.honda.com/Documentum/Warranty/Handbooks/AWL33423.pdf

"While seat belts cannot completely remove the possibility of injury, they do provide a very significant level of protection when used properly. Honda believes the best way to enhance your safety is to use your seat belt. To encourage their use, the seat belts should always be in good operating condition.

Time Period: This warranty continues for the useful life of the vehicle.

Warranty Coverage: Honda will repair or replace, at its option, any Honda seat belt component that fails to function properly during normal use. This includes all parts and labor charges

This Warranty Does Not Cover:
• Replacement of a properly-functioning seat belt assembly strictly for cosmetic or comfort reasons.
• Failure caused by abuse, alteration, accidental damage, misuse, or malfunction resulting from a collision
."

Thanks guys, looks like I'm out of luck.

Guess I'll have to live with it. I won;t be paying $100ish for a seatbelt unless I find one from a auto recycler.

What makes you say that? If I read correctly, the seat belts are warrantied for the life of the vehicle. I had my Pathfinder's front seatbelts replaced because they did not retract by themselves after unbuckling. My girlfriend's father's 2009 Murano's front driver's side seatbelt also did not retract and it was replaced under warranty. Things may be different for Honda though, but it seems to be the same warranty as Nissan offers.

Matt, I just purchased a new to me 2006 Toyota corolla. The seatbelt in question is for this corolla, not the pathfinder nor the sentra.

Don't know how this topic turned to Honda as corolla is a Toyota...

Yeah, actually the pathfinder's passenger seatbelt is also acting up. Doesn't release tension once in a while and passengers are strapped in tight! Haven't got a chance to bring it in yet but good to know that they are under warranty.

Quite often the belt may be restored to usefulness by a thorough cleaning. Amazing how much gunk accumulates on the fabric and the guides and retainers. Then it won't retract properly. The mechanism gets full of dust and dirt and gets sticky. Cleaning doesn't always work but worth the effort.

Last edited:
Own a 1991 3dr Hatchback Si and just had my seat belts and buckles replaced by Honda. Actually were replaced twice by different dealers because they couldn't figure out why they did not lock when braking. Turns out there was an open wire on the passenger door latch which was causing the door ajar light to come on and off and making clicking noises at the door. They had to contact the Honda Motors to verify that the front seat belts are only supposed to lock when braking and not when tugged with your hand. The rear sat belts only need a quick tug and they will lock. Rear seat belts are activated by both braking and tugging at them. That was my worry all along, the front seat belts would not lock. I think you should walk into several toyota dealers to see which one can best assist you. Some want to make money and some ant to make you happy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back