Using ramps

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm having a heck of a time trying to get to the oil filter location in my wife's 2002 Civic. I remember with my '95 Integra GS-R I got creative by using an inclined driveway that ended at the garage door. There was a little triangular area where I could wedge myself inside and access the filter. I can't really use that driveway any more, so I'm thinking of finding some way to lift it up. I've seen the photos, and it looks a lot like the location of my GS-R - directly above one of the shafts so that it spills all over unless one finds a creative way to reroute the oil draining from the filter.

I thought maybe jacks, but they worry me to some degree. I was thinking maybe some Rhino Ramps - the 12,000 lbs rated ones. How difficult would this be, and would the 8" or so rise give enough room for me to crawl under and access the filter? I'm 6', 180 lbs - so I fit well into tight spaces.

I can't find my old steel wheel chocks, but I'm probably going to get some plastic ones at WM. I'm wondering what might be useful for backup if a ramp starts to buckle. I've heard of some people using phone books at the hardened jacking points under the front doors, or maybe just set up the emergency jack there. In my more stupid days, I actually used an emergency jack to lift up the wheel and dropped some phone books under the wheel and dropped it down.

I rather like it with my 2004 WRX. It may be a pain to remove/replace the underspoiler (and I've replaced each of those plastic clips at least once), but at least I don't have to lift my car in any way to change the oil or filter.

you really wont need 8" of rise. 6" of lift is usually more than enough to get under anything.

One of the best uses for ramps.

if you want wheel chocks pony up for the good rubber ones..

the plastic ones are [censored].. i actually backed over one ;p

HF has good rubber ones for about 5-8$ each depending on sale and coupon

http://www.harborfreight.com/solid-rubber-wheel-chock-96479.html

use
http://www.harborfreight.com/20off-coupon912-aff-17552.html

for 25% off one item.

thats 5lb of rubber there. its not going to fail.

Get the rhino ramps at advance auto parts and you can stack with coupon
if you need a few filler items you can step upto a bigger coupon
http://www.fatwallet.com/Advance-Auto-Parts-coupons/

40$ off 100 or 25$ off 70 are the best coupons.

10$ off 30$ works for just the ramps.(if you dont need any filler items like brake cleaner etc.)

Last edited:
I usually chock the wheels with some old paver bricks.

I agree that 6" of rise is usually sufficient.

Been doing an 01 Civic oil and filter changes since new using metal Ultra ramps with the optional extenders, work like a charm. 12k Rhino's will work just fine, plenty high enough and worth the investment. I much prefer ramps for oc's to jacks, but that's just me.

I take the passenger side tire off my charger,and use a hand pump to drain the oil. Super easy,don't have to take off the underside plastic covers or even get on my back.

Maybe I can persuade my wife to install a trench in our garage along with a grate? And get one of those wheeled oil pan/tank things like I see in shops?

I know a dealer mechanic who does work on the side at his house. He installed a lift in his carport.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Rhino Ramps are awesome!

+1. They work great for the MINI and the Rainier. Just right height.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: y_p_w
So I'm having a heck of a time trying to get to the oil filter location in my wife's 2002 Civic.

I bought an $80 Harbor Freight lo-profile, high-lift jack and got a couple of cheap jack stands. Then I got three pieces of 3/4" flooring plywood to help boost the jack a bit. Now oil changes are a breeze.

But does anyone use a backup? I heard that jack stands are typically too high to fit under a car on ramps.

I use a jack and then jack stands. I have had metal ramps buckle. I am definitely NOT trusting my life to plastic ones. But, that's just me.

But does anyone use a backup? I heard that jack stands are typically too high to fit under a car on ramps.

and besides, where would you put them? the usual(factory specified) "jacking points" for the wheels on the ramps, would be over the inclined part of said ramp.

Originally Posted By: johnachak

I use a jack and then jack stands. I have had metal ramps buckle. I am definitely NOT trusting my life to plastic ones. But, that's just me.

I had a set of metal one buckle myself, after i accidentally backed over and off the back of them in my youth...
the Plastic ramps have much more internal bracing, and the set i have is rated for nearly double my car's weight.
after using them, most of the metal ramps i've seen look WAY to flimsy for me to trust.

they are also molded in a way that you can't really go up & over like you could with the old Metal ones.

I defy anyone to break through normal useage a 12000lb set of rhino ramps with a normal ~~3000lb car.

I did retire my first set due to being over 10 years old.

new set was 26$ and they work even better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back