2012 (2nd Gen) Mazda5 Transmission Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, we misplaced our owners manual and have no idea what mazda transmission fluid to use. Our car is approaching 40k miles and we want to start doing a few drain and fills.

Anyone know the specific fluid and the capacity?

Thanks!

Thanks. I actually googled and went on mazda site but my phone doesnt show me the owners manual link.

I know some mazdas requires mazda t-iv / toyota t-iv / Mobil 1 3309. I hope its the same because im going to buy a dozen as my 98 lexus ls400 needs a few drain and fills.

Only a few. Most newer take Mazda M-V

Amsoil ATF is compatible and worked great in my 06 Mazda6 with the 5-speed auto. Cold weather and shifting during warm-up was a BIG difference.

What are some mazda atf m-v fluids? My local dealership does not have any in stock. What a surprise.

I looked at Mobil, Pennzoil, Valvoline and Castrol.

I found nothing that is formally licensed.

However, I did find this Castrol specifically mentions two of their products as "recommended for use" (meaning they don't have the license, but they will warrant the application):
http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/064FD5179C8D0FFD80257AA90053687A/$File/Castrol%20Transmax%20Import%20MV%20_03521_.pdf
http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/09DFBB064CCF193E80257BA5006EB93F/$File/BPXE-99LBRT.pdf

I suspect (and I want to note this is my hunch and not fact) that the Mazda "M-V" spec is likely something akin to an import "multi-vehicle" spec. If that is the case, all those brands I list have an import multi-vehicle fluid. You could email those companies and ask if they "recommend" any of their products for that Mazda M-V application.

However, because you're under warranty, I would suggest one of two things:
make the Mazda dealer order in some of their fluid, or ...
use the Castrol, because at least they directly mention the product in their PDS, and they would warrant that application

Last edited:
BTW, Skyactiv AT's use Mazda FZ. I have not seen an aftermarket equivalent - yet. I'm sure there will be as SA sales increase and more of these vehicles are on the road, but it may be a while because Mazda claims lifetime fill.

Originally Posted By: caideN
I assume Mazda's M-V got relabeled as M5 now? I went and bought 9 quarts of Mazda ATF M5.

That is what it says on the bottles, yes. Should have a silver cap on the bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back