castrol syntrans transaksel 75W-90 any good ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.

After advice from you verry capable people at BITOG. I have startet looking for gl4 rated oils for my 5 speed mazda manual fwd transmission. And have found castrol syntrans transaxel 75W-90 on the net at a fair price. Anybody knows if that oil is good or bad or have experience with it?

Thanks.

Søren

Hej, Soren!

I was inquiring about various manual tranmission gear box oils for a few months now and the Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75w-90 generally gets good reviews around here, a member from the UK states that this fluid is OEM on certain VW products sold there.

What API GL spec does your Mazda require? GL-4 or GL-5? Does Mazda specify a specific oil weight?

If it requires GL-4 the Castrol product you mention is perfect for that application as long as the weight is correct as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Hej, Soren!

I was inquiring about various manual tranmission gear box oils for a few months now and the Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75w-90 generally gets good reviews around here, a member from the UK states that this fluid is OEM on certain VW products sold there.

What API GL spec does your Mazda require? GL-4 or GL-5? Does Mazda specify a specific oil weight?

If it requires GL-4 the Castrol product you mention is perfect for that application as long as the weight is correct as well.

The manual says to use gl4 or gl5 75W-90. People in here have convinced me gl4 is the best choise.the castrol oil is rated gl4+

Wow, I'm looking for the exact same thing "GL-4 for a Mazda transaxle". Thanks for posting the question, I began to research the Syntrans GL-4 and it appears quite impressive. They claim EP performance similar to a GL-5 due to high quality base stocks alone, without the yellow-metal-endangering GL-5 additives. What year is your transmission from? I have a 93 and a 95 and they both use brass synchros and require GL-4 only.

My mazda is a 2008. I believe the gearbox is buildt without any yellow metals in it since mazda requires gl4 or gl5. But i still think i will go for a gl4. Probertly the castrol since i can get it cheap. I am also considering liqui moly and fuchs.

Ah, yes indeed. 97 is when they stopped using brass synchros. Lucky for you that this oil is readily available, I can't find any mention of it around this area. :O(

Have you looked at Motul Gear300 or Redline MT-90? 2 of the best GL4/5 gear oils I've tried, would say the Motul is the better of the two every so slightly. I have used syntrax as well, its good but pales in comparison to Motul & Redline.

It's a pity that Castrol Syntrans Transaxle isn't readily available in the US, I think you could probably find a BP distributor that could source it from Europe.

It's nothing short of stunning that we in the USA cannot get
Tier 1 petroleum products like this easily when it appears that the RoW can. Why is that?

Same goes for Shell Spirax S3g (80w-90) and S4g (75w-90), and others as well it is almost impossible to find them in the USA.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
It's a pity that Castrol Syntrans Transaxle isn't readily available in the US, I think you could probably find a BP distributor that could source it from Europe.

It's nothing short of stunning that we in the USA cannot get
Tier 1 petroleum products like this easily when it appears that the RoW can. Why is that?

Same goes for Shell Spirax S3g (80w-90) and S4g (75w-90), and others as well it is almost impossible to find them in the USA.

You are right. Sounds like US consumers are cut of from a lot og verry good oils. Also supriced me that several oils from the valvoline line is not sold in the us.. a completely american company.

There is a SuperTech GL5 Synthetic Blend 75W90 for $5 a quart that seemed to have good specs on it.

I thought the website would have more info but it didn't and I didn't make a better note of the specs as I was looking for 75w85.

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
There is a SuperTech GL5 Synthetic Blend 75W90 for $5 a quart that seemed to have good specs on it.

I thought the website would have more info but it didn't and I didn't make a better note of the specs as I was looking for 75w85.

OP is in Denmark. Might be a little hard to get.

I'd suggest the Red Line MT-90 as someone else did. It's a 75W-90 GL4 that's supposed to help with synchro engagement and to prevent synchro wear. I had good results with Red Line MTL (70W-80 GL4) that was recommended for a Honda manual transmission that specified 10W-30 motor oil.

http://www.redlineoil-europe.com/gearoils/index.asp?section=Synthetic+Gear+Oil_00012
http://www.redlineoil-europe.com/info/redlineoildealers.asp?country=Europe

Quote:
DENMARK - Bruno Hansen Motorsport
Bruno Hansen Motorsport is specialized in selling parts for motorsport and tuning. With over 35 years of experience we can help you with the right parts and service for your car in our workshop.
Vesterskovvej 1, Aarslev, DK 5792, Denmark
00 456 599 1616
[email protected]
www.Motorsportshop.dk

I used Motul Gear 300 in my 2004 WRX, but after my reverse bombed the guy who replaced the gear (and I've never heard of this happening to anyone else) probably just used an off the shelf 75W-90 GL5. The toughest part of that was finding a T-70 Torx bit to remove the drain bolt. The first time I changed the tranny fluid in that car, I used Red Line 75W-90NS, which was their version of a GL5 gear oil without any friction modifiers (generally a requirement for GL5) to make it more slippery for LSD use.

Back in 2005 I bought the Gear 300 for maybe $9/liter. I got it from a motorcycle parts dealer that also had Motul DOT5.1 brake fluid in 500 ml bottles. I ordered a reasonable quantity for my car, but they guy taking my order over the phone was asking why the heck I needed so much, and I said it was for a car. They actually sent me the wrong brake fluid (Motorex DOT5.1 250 ml in cans), told me to keep it since it was their mistake, and sent me the Motul brake fluid. I was also told that the guy I talked to did inventory and noticed less of the brake fluid than they thought they had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back