Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 vs Amsoil Signature 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless you want an ACEA specification.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
Oh ok so Amsoils 0w-30 is 12.8 and PU is 12.6? I didn't see it in the PDS for Ultra.

According to the recent PQIA testing PU 5W30 TBN is 9.4
NOT 12.6.

Originally Posted By: CMMeadAM
Oh ok so Amsoils 0w-30 is 12.8 and PU is 12.6? I didn't see it in the PDS for Ultra.

NOT 12.6.

I really depends on the Lab. FYI BlackStone says its like 12-13 TBN

Originally Posted By: randomhero439

NOT 12.6.

I've not seen any Blackstone VOA's of PU 5W30 with TBN's of 12-13. Please refer me to one. Between blackstone and PQIA testing, I'll take PQIA results, thank you !

Who really cares... Both r great oils and will do the job. Personally, I never go longer then 7500 miles on any oil change. For a few bucks more, I always go syn.

Last edited:
True.

Pennzoil doesn't back up any long drain capability, like Amsoil or Mobil 1.

Rce

NOT 12.6.

That was the old SM version with the higher calcium, boron and high NOACK. Better add pack but weaker base oil.

NOT 12.6.

I've not seen any Blackstone VOA's of PU 5W30 with TBN's of 12-13. Please refer me to one. Between blackstone and PQIA testing, I'll take PQIA results, thank you !

I dont think its fair to directly compare TBN between two different labs. I DO think its fair to compare TBN between oils using the same lab however.

Both are good oils but. I'd find PU on sale, change it every 6 months vs. Amsoil's 1 year or 25K miles, and my engine will thank me in the long run. With a little smart shopping it could possibly cost about the same +/-, or even less to use the PU. From what I've heard Walmart has a smoking deal on PU right now. I'd also be less likely to spook a buyer if and when I decided to sell the vehicle if they ask for service records. FWIW, opinions vary that's mine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Both are good oils but. I'd find PU on sale, change it every 6 months vs. Amsoil's 1 year or 25K miles, and my engine will thank me in the long run. With a little smart shopping it could possibly cost about the same +/-, or even less to use the PU. From what I've heard Walmart has a smoking deal on PU right now. I'd also be less likely to spook a buyer if and when I decided to sell the vehicle if they ask for service records. FWIW, opinions vary that's mine.

Or just change the PU every year and save more.

Originally Posted By: buster
True.

Pennzoil doesn't back up any long drain capability, like Amsoil or Mobil 1.

And most users have no desire to stretch drains out to the lengths that Mobil 1 and Amsoil push. Once most folks get near 7000 miles tops, they are getting edgy about changing their oil. Many folks won't even make it that far before they are having trouble sleeping. That being said, Wally World currently has PU in 5 qt jugs for $21. That makes it a no brainer for many folks over Amsoil or Mobil 1. And if many folks who use something like Amsoil or Mobil 1 were totally truthful, I would be willing to bet that the vast majority don't even go anywhere near what the oils are capable of. It is hard for most folks to get their minds around 15,000 to 25,000 mile oil changes. Just do a sidewalk survey and you will find this out.

Pennzoil Ultra or Mobil 1 EP for me and then I change once per year or 7500 miles... I also use Pureone or Fram Ultra oil filters. I use to dislike Fram oil filters but the new Ultra seems like a very good filter... 8.99 at Walmart is a deal.

Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
ive had great tests with amsoil on a UOA and great tests on PU UOA. either way its up to you, they're both good oils.

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back