TroyBilt GTX 18 Tractor Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to look at the ID tag....just for curiousity sake. I've had my eye on this tractor for a few years and when he said he was going to sell it, I pretty much jumped right on it.

I just noticed your location....what area are you in York? I'm in Thomasville.

Yeah, I believe my neighbor's GTX 18 has a Bercomac snow thrower attachment. A 2-stage. That baby throws some serious snow.

YIKES I couldn't imagine going through ~$25 worth of gas with every mowing! Kind of glad we moved from 2.5 to 1 acre a few years ago, and only half of that needs mowed.

Originally Posted By: JTK
YIKES I couldn't imagine going through ~$25 worth of gas with every mowing! Kind of glad we moved from 2.5 to 1 acre a few years ago, and only half of that needs mowed.

Likewise. I mow a few acres with a 26 hp briggs twin and it rarely uses more than 3 gallons.

I cut up to 7.5 acres when I cut everything and the rest I let grow back to meadow.

We get x-mas cards from several stations every year (seriously) since I buy so much fuel.....I keep eight 5 gallon gas jugs around for grass/yard work and we commute 150 miles round trip everyday....between gasoline and diesel we spend more than our fair share.

When I was having cardiac issues we were very fortunate our neighbor was kind enough to keep our grass cut....I would imagine a regular lawn service would have cost in excess of $150 or so if not much more.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Fleetmon
I cut up to 7.5 acres when I cut everything and the rest I let grow back to meadow.

We get x-mas cards from several stations every year (seriously) since I buy so much fuel.....I keep eight 5 gallon gas jugs around for grass/yard work and we commute 150 miles round trip everyday....between gasoline and diesel we spend more than our fair share.

When I was having cardiac issues we were very fortunate our neighbor was kind enough to keep our grass cut....I would imagine a regular lawn service would have cost in excess of $150 or so if not much more.

I had a mild cardiac issue from reading this. ^^

More power to you Fleetmon!!

Thanks JTK. It's a tough commute at times and one we regret sometimes but my wife and I work at the same place and we both are permitted to work four 10-hour days so the 3-day weekends help a lot. This house and property is what we worked towards and retirement is on the very near horizon. It helps a lot when we look out and see a whole herd of deer feeding or see a Tom turkey in full furl trying to woo his lady friends or any number of other critter friends that happen by. We're also avid shooters and this place allows us the luxury of our own range.

Last night, we both looked the Troy over and saw the ID tag but no date....definitely a Kohler Magnum though so i'm guessing it's a year or two older than I thought based on y'alls knowledge.

No matter....it appears to be a great addition to our tractor fleet and I'm looking forward to seeing how the seat fits our grandkids butts!

I just noticed your location....what area are you in York? I'm in Thomasville.

Wow! Small world.
I'm just on the other side of town in the Stony Brook area.

Thanks JTK. It's a tough commute at times and one we regret sometimes but my wife and I work at the same place and we both are permitted to work four 10-hour days so the 3-day weekends help a lot.....
Last night, we both looked the Troy over and saw the ID tag but no date....
No matter....it appears to be a great addition to our tractor fleet and I'm looking forward to seeing how the seat fits our grandkids butts!

I don't envy your commute, for sure. For reference for others reading this thread, though, it's not that unusual for folks living in this area to commute to Washington, Baltimore, and Philly. Our housing costs used to be significantly lower.
The engine year of manufacture is the first two digits of the serial number with the first digit representing the decade and the second being the year. "15"=1985 "25"=95
I know you mentioned having the engine op manual. The full service manual is a free download on Kohler's site also.
I don't know the age of your grandkids but I'm picturing them sitting on the tractor with a wood block strapped to the treadle pedal so they can reach.
grin.gif

I'm sure you'll enjoy the tractor. If you need any more info or more importantly, parts sources, feel free to send me a message.

Ah....that will narrow down the age....thanks for all of the info and I really appreciate it. As a matter of fact, you've provided outstanding help! Thank you for the offer of the PM too.

The 14yo will fit fine and he already handles the Ingersoll with no issues; the 9yo, we'll see...her biggest problem is weight holding the seat down...lol!

Originally Posted By: Canawler

I don't envy your commute, for sure. For reference for others reading this thread, though, it's not that unusual for folks living in this area to commute to Washington, Baltimore, and Philly. Our housing costs used to be significantly lower.

Ah! Gotcha.

My 80mi round-tip commute doesn't sound half-bad then! Luckily I only have to do it ~15x a month due to my 12hr shifts (unless there's OT). ~20mi outside of Buffalo to Niagara Falls NY and back.

I ended up buying that Craftsman, yall are right about The Kohler M18, it is thirsty.

Originally Posted By: AVB
I ended up buying that Craftsman, yall are right about The Kohler M18, it is thirsty.

Still nice to have as a backup machine or a yard-tug though..

I just wouldn't want one anymore as my primary mower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back