Amsoil oil filters:technical specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
What are all the specs on the Amsoil oil filter? What are it's multipass and single pass efficiency ratings, and the nominal and absolute efficiency? What about burst strength?

quote:

What are all the specs on the Amsoil oil filter? What are it's multipass and single pass efficiency ratings, and the nominal and absolute efficiency? What about burst strength?

I assume you are talking about full flow filters. I have not seen figures for all the questions you ask. Have seen on one size with filtration effeciency of 94% per SAE HS806 (Mobil 1 and Pure One were 93%). I would like to see more independent tests, though.

As for burst strength all the filters have at least 2X the OEM recommended strength, some much more.

At what micron level is that multipass rating though? 10 microns? 15?

The OEM burst strength level is 150psi I believe, so that puts the Amsoil at 300psi I suppose. A good rating, but the Mobil 1 and K&N are in the 550-600psi range. Overkill perhaps, but it shows how thick the canister is so for someone who has a filter on the bottom of the engine and is worried about it getting hit by debris, the thickest filter you can buy is a good thing.

Patman

I'd guess that the weak point on an oil filter with regard to burst pressure is the canister/base plate seam and not the actual thickness of material used for the canister.

quote:

At what micron level is that multipass rating though? 10 microns? 15?

The OEM burst strength level is 150psi I believe, so that puts the Amsoil at 300psi I suppose. A good rating, but the Mobil 1 and K&N are in the 550-600psi range. Overkill perhaps, but it shows how thick the canister is so for someone who has a filter on the bottom of the engine and is worried about it getting hit by debris, the thickest filter you can buy is a good thing.

10 µm

Amsoil is just staying convervative. The 2X (most ARE 4X) is NOT based on metal thickness/punch resistance. I think perhaps someone with a micrometer measure the metal thickness, if this is a concern. I can tell you they are much thicker metal than most filters I've handled. There is more to burst strength than the canister metal thickness, or even the seams. Of course if the relief valve is funky then the rare over pressure situations put a strain on filter construction. this numbers game is indeed overkill.

Pablo

The Amsoil (SMF 103) and the Toyo Roki are motorcyle filters.

The M1 (110) is a car filter but would fit my motorcycle.

The Honda OEM (Fram) is car filter for my Honda Civic.

I don't know squat about those Amsoil motorcycle filters - other than they are not the same as the car SDF's.

Again good info, but not really apple to apple comparisons.....I'll tear into an Amsoil SDF and post the metal thickness - but you know that is still very hoakey. It will vary depending on where I measure. Just as any stamped/drawn piece of metal will.

Patman,

The Amsoil SDF oil filters are approx 98% efficient @ 20 microns and 65% efficient @ 10 microns - that comes directly from one of their dealer newsletters. The SAE J806 test uses a weighted average of 1 micron to 40 micron particles, with I believe 57% of the particles being < 20 um. All of this is multiple pass testing as far as I know.

TooSlick

I know I've asked this before, but do any of you remember when the Amsoil full flow filters used to claim to filter down to 4 microns? When I was an Amsoil dealer in the early 90s (around 1991 to 92, then again in 94) I recall a brochure that stated this. I wish I still had it! Or am I imagining things?
confused.gif

Patman,

Amsoil changed their oil filter media about 10 years ago in order to get the flow rates that are necessary with modern engines. That's when they went from the "lofted fiber" media to the mixed media they use today ....

TooSlick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back