Subaru Forester 2014 Manual Transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been interested in the manual transmission forester for a few years now, im liking the look and drive of the 2014 model, however my local dealer dosent have any manual's in stock. Automatic drove very well, was wondering if anyone has any input.

Thanks!

I own a WRX and the clutch is very stiff compared to my wife's Mazda3 and my GTI. If the Forester has the same clutch, I would get an automatic.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I own a WRX and the clutch is very stiff compared to my wife's Mazda3 and my GTI. If the Forester has the same clutch, I would get an automatic.

That's very subjective. I thought that my clutch was incredibly heavy to the point of excessive. It took me two whole months go get used to it.

When I drove an '09/'10 WRX I stomped the clutch to the ground it was so light. It wasn't nearly as light as, say, a Civic, but very much so comparatively speaking.

I test drove the CVT '14 Forester and liked it a lot. I've also test driven a '12 Impreza and '11 Outback CVT and didn't like the CVT at all. I'm not sure if it's the application, tuning or if there have been any changes to the '14 Forester's CVT, but I found it to operate as idealy as I'd like a CVT to operate.

Unfortunately, the last MT Forester I drove was two generations ago, though I remember it shifting well.

Conclusion: I prefer stick, but for something like the Forester, I'm 100% sure I'd choose the CVT. I'm actually looking at purchasing a '14 Forester Limited or XT Premium, because I want X-mode (not even a possibility with a MT.)

Most dealers won't stock manual transmissions.

The ONLY vehicles I have ever seen stocked with a manual transmission in the last few years are Jeep Wranglers and Toyota Tacomas.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

The ONLY vehicles I have ever seen stocked with a manual transmission in the last few years are Jeep Wranglers and Toyota Tacomas.

Tacomas?

Where?

If you want a manual transmission Tacoma here, you have to get a plain white regular cab with those ugly little steel wheels.

They build them here (San Antonio) and dealers won't stock them.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

Tacomas?

Where?

If you want a manual transmission Tacoma here, you have to get a plain white regular cab with those ugly little steel wheels.

They build them here (San Antonio) and dealers won't stock them.

Romano Toyota in East Syracuse NY. They usually have 4-5 on the lot and they last ... not very long. They seem to sell instantly.

Most of the time it's the base model (exactly what I would buy) , but sometimes it's V6 models with alloy wheels.

My wife gets excellent fuel average mileage (~30) above the EPA highway rating with about 40/60 driving in her 2011 5m forester. The biggest issue is high rpm revs in 5th if you drive over 75mph. Also, another I would say significant issue ( for me), her clutch comes out very close to the carpet causing hard shifts and supposedly it's a non adjustable hydraulic system. Had similar issue with our '05 Toyota Rav4. Fuji's MT are near bullitproof in normal driving (not beat-on) - throwout mechanism - not so much.

Last edited:
Is there only one dealer near you? I'm sure there are some sprinkled around which you could probably find on the web or certainly through your dealer. If they're really good they'll get one in for you knowing they'd sell it eventually, if not to you.

What year is your WRX? My 2008 STI was heavy, but not objectionable, then I flushed the brake fluid and clutch fluid (which was hideous) with Valvoline Synthetic brake fluid and it was much lighter. I wonder if a car with newer fluid would respond the same way.

I have noticed the same effect on my motorcycle clutches using Valvoline Synthetic brake fluid, they are noticeable lighter after a flush.

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
Ive been interested in the manual transmission forester for a few years now, im liking the look and drive of the 2014 model, however my local dealer dosent have any manual's in stock. Automatic drove very well, was wondering if anyone has any input.

Thanks!

Fine with the transmission but make sure you're ok with the 'normal' oil consumption of 1 quart per 1200 miles as listed in the owners manual...... Lots of the new FB25 engines have oil consumption issues. I'd read the Subaru Forester post on the Forester community website on the >2011 new FB25 oil consumption issue before buying. I wish I had.

I think anyone would be crazy to buy a >2011 Forester until they fix the oil consumption issue on the new FB25 engine. Buy a new car and wait to see if you have an oil guzzeler or not. They actually installed a low oil light on the dash, not oil pressure, a 'low oil light'.

Old saying: Learn from other peoples mistakes.

Last edited:

Maybe its locale.

Wife tried the following recently out(brand new) ALL manual 10 miles within our house:

2013 Accord Sport with 6 speed manual
2012 Acura TSX manual
2014 Outback & Forester manual & 2013 WRX
2014 Mazda6 & Mazda5
2013 VW JettaSportwagon & Passat TDI

The 2014 Forester manual is okay and I would try it out. It has no semblance of ANYTHING to a WRX clutch setup or transmission. Wife did not like the lack of heated seats option when getting manual transmission. I think only base Forester comes with manual.

Interestingly enough after trying all of those she is hanging onto our 2005 Legacy GT wagon manual with 160,000 miles with intermitent AC, broken power window etc, minor body damage, worn out struts. She prefers it way over and does not care about spending up to $5000 on it for another 100k miles. The hard part is jambing three car seat across the back soon.

Thanks!

My dad is looking at the 2014 Forrester. The weak CVT is currently a no-go. We are trying to find real world MPG number for the MTX, though. The CVT is rated MUCH better EPA MPGs, but I just don't buy that on the surface. Dad is interested in the MTX if it can put up good real world MPGs.

Thanks!

I've seen no reports on the new 6spd manual in the (all new) 2014 Foresters. I know in Legacy world, the 6spd tends to be notchy with a heavy clutch.

You can go round-n-round with opinions on CVTs (most of them from non-owners), but I think you'll find the Aisin sourced, chain-drive CVTs Subaru uses to be awesome for your daily-driver needs. If you're a speed-racer, off roader or whatnot? Probably not.

Every report I've heard from those who test-drove a 2014 Forester was positive. Some 2010+ CVT Legacy owners said the Forester felt much faster than the Legy.

I'd go with the 6spd if the deal was right. If the cost was similar to the CVT, I'd go CVT.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
...The hard part is jambing three car seat across the back soon.

Good luck with that!!

The last time we attempted that (in a non minivan) was in our 2005 Chevy Trailblazer. Two full out car seats w/ a booster seat in the middle. Even that wasn't safe and that's a big 2nd row area.

Originally Posted By: JTK
You can go round-n-round with opinions on CVTs (most of them from non-owners), but I think you'll find the Aisin sourced, chain-drive CVTs Subaru uses to be awesome for your daily-driver needs. If you're a speed-racer, off roader or whatnot? Probably not.

I agree. I have the CVT in my 2013 and it's been nothing but smooth and responsive. There is no CVT lag when you hit the throttle and the car is definitely fast enough for me. It's not going to win any drag races but when I'm getting over 30mpg on my commute with AWD I'm happy.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
My wife gets excellent fuel average mileage (~30) above the EPA highway rating with about 40/60 driving in her 2011 5m forester. The biggest issue is high rpm revs in 5th if you drive over 75mph. Also, another I would say significant issue ( for me), her clutch comes out very close to the carpet causing hard shifts and supposedly it's a non adjustable hydraulic system. Had similar issue with our '05 Toyota Rav4. Fuji's MT are near bullitproof in normal driving (not beat-on) - throwout mechanism - not so much.

That's my big issue with MT's. While a CVT is cruising along in the low 2k RPM range at 65-70 MPH, my STI and previous 5MT Subie are/have been almost a grand higher. It's great to have the power to accelerate without shifting, but really, how hard is shifting to 4th to get around some one or climb a steep hill?

Originally Posted By: badtlc

Thanks!

My dad is looking at the 2014 Forrester. The weak CVT is currently a no-go. We are trying to find real world MPG number for the MTX, though. The CVT is rated MUCH better EPA MPGs, but I just don't buy that on the surface. Dad is interested in the MTX if it can put up good real world MPGs.

Weak?

Originally Posted By: Cold_Canuk

Thanks!

Fine with the transmission but make sure you're ok with the 'normal' oil consumption of 1 quart per 1200 miles as listed in the owners manual...... Lots of the new FB25 engines have oil consumption issues. I'd read the Subaru Forester post on the Forester community website on the >2011 new FB25 oil consumption issue before buying. I wish I had.

I think anyone would be crazy to buy a >2011 Forester until they fix the oil consumption issue on the new FB25 engine. Buy a new car and wait to see if you have an oil guzzeler or not. They actually installed a low oil light on the dash, not oil pressure, a 'low oil light'.

The FB25 oil consumption is a concern for me too. I've had no perceptible oil consumption on the king of Subie consumers, the STI, so losing that would be bothersome.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

That's my big issue with MT's. While a CVT is cruising along in the low 2k RPM range at 65-70 MPH, my STI and previous 5MT Subie are/have been almost a grand higher. It's great to have the power to accelerate without shifting, but really, how hard is shifting to 4th to get around some one or climb a steep hill?

Thanks!

Weak?

Originally Posted By: Cold_Canuk

Thanks!

The FB25 oil consumption is a concern for me too. I've had no perceptible oil consumption on the king of Subie consumers, the STI, so losing that would be bothersome.

I'm worried about mine as well. However, I just did the first oil change at 3,750 miles and it didn't burn any. We'll see how it fares with the 7,500 mile OCI.

Weak?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/weak

33.gif

I was looking for an example of 2014 CVT failures.

Last edited:

I was looking for an example of 2014 CVT failures.

Yeah, I dunno of a single failure report on them since their 2010 debut and there's units out there in fleet service with a bit of miles on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back