Gack--flat tire, time to replace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was going to try to get a ride in tonight, found a flat. This on my Bontrager Hardcase tires, supposedly very hardy tires (kevlar case and all). I've noticed a lot of nicks in them lately, and been thinking about replacing; I've read they known for being slow. Apparently the last ride did the front in: found a gash, and if I push my thumb in, I can hear air come out. Shame, might have 7kmiles on it.

I recall Conti 4000's were good? I know I asked about this a while ago, but I don't remember what thread. I'm just looking for a 700x25mm tire, to support a 165lb rider, on somewhat rough roads (see bit about tire nicks). I don't race, just recreationally ride.

4000S in a 25mm will be night and day between the Hard Case. They roll WAY faster--even a casual recreational rider will immediately notice the difference. They're not going to last 7K miles, though. They're the most flat-resistant fast-rolling tire out there, and a great all-around tire, but they won't last as long or be as flat-resistance as the Bonty Hard Case. They'll ride much, much better than the Bonty's. You'll probably get 3K from a rear, about double that on the front. I'd definitely recommend them, just make sure to get the 4000S, not the 4000. Probikekit.com normally has great pricing on them if you don't mine 7-10 day shipping (they're in Aus).

4000S, vs 4000, did not know there was a diff, thanks.

I can live with shorter lifespan, on a good year I might 2k. This year, not so much.

Conti in general makes some of the most durable, flat resistant tires (yes, in the premium, low rolling resistance, good response type tire category).

I remember way back in the early '80s, I had a set of their 'Sprinter' tubulars (or whatever they called their premium, latex tubed, 250 gram, file tread pattern sew-up back then), which I aged for `2 years, and they just COULD NOT be killed!!

I even rode them in some less rocky/rough cyclocross events, and they held up just fine, and still gave me many more road (and even some track) miles!
thumbsup2.gif

Got the tires yesterday, put on the bike. Won't say "easy" but definately easier than the Bontragers for installation. Only had to use one full sized lever, two would have been better but it walked off someplace in the basement.

I have a 14.5-ish mile loop, was doing in about 50min on the Bontragers, did it in 49 last night despite legs not in perfect shape. Spedometer is wonky at the moment so not sure about being faster.

But wow, they sure do feel faster and oddly enough actually do feel like they ride better. Same psi, same tire width. Rather amazed at the difference. I know it's subjective, but wow, I'm quite happy.

Quite frankly as long as I get one riding season (1 to 2kmiles) I'll be happy.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back