Fuel filter change interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my 2006 Honda Accord 2.4 LX. Just wondering how often (miles/years) the fuel filter needs to be changed. As far as I know its never been changed. I would look in the owners manual but I dont have one.

for returnless fuel rail system with nylon socks, I usually don't touch the in-tank fuel strainer until it reaches at least 160k or more. Even so: I'd typically just pull off the pump+sender unit to inspect the strainer and seldom replace them anyways.

Q.

Replacing mine for the 3rd time in 85k next week.....but that is for my car though.

How is she running?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Replacing mine for the 3rd time in 85k next week.....but that is for my car though.

How is she running?

Runs great as far as I know. Smooth idle and smooth as it revs up. Maybe once or twice at the most its started up a little rough, but I could just chalk that up to a fluky type thing. As this thing is started about 5 times a day for 2 years. Only felt a little off two starts. How does it run with a bad fuel filter?

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: daves87rs

How is she running?

Runs great as far as I know. Smooth idle and smooth as it revs up. Maybe once or twice at the most its started up a little rough, but I could just chalk that up to a fluky type thing. As this thing is started about 5 times a day for 2 years. Only felt a little off two starts. How does it run with a bad fuel filter?

A bit rough...in my case, wife's filter was rusting, which hopefully did not get into the filter itself. I'm changing it regardless, just to be safe.....

It depends some on where it is. My 1993 Suburban had it under the vehicle where it could easily get rusted in. Ones like that should be changed or at least loosened and tightened. Some have only a filter in the tank.

So if easy to replace maybe 50K. In the tank, a lot longer.

However if you have left the car sitting a year or two, then you would need to change it once or twice when the car is back on the road.

Use internet explorer, then it will work. It did not from Chrome but it did from IE for me. By the fuel filter is NOT listed in maintenance list.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Use internet explorer, then it will work. It did not from Chrome but it did from IE for me. By the fuel filter is NOT listed in maintenance list.

If it's not listed in the manual, it's not a Mandatory replacement item.

Just like dad's 7th gen civic (2001), it's a returnless fuel rail system and it typically comes with a nylon strainer (sock) in-tank.

Gone are the days of return-type fuel filter configurations where the pump would circulate your fuel (through the filter) many times over per hour and the fuel filter is replaceable. I've done 2 in-tank strainer so far (one on my SIL's 00 corolla with 213k and one on a client's 04 corolla with 130k (per request), none of them show signs of clogging (that strainer does capture large debris though, like lint dropped into the inside of the fuel tank, etc.).

Q.

Not all fuel filters are the same.

My Escape has a fuel filter under the rear passenger seat that is SUPER easy to change. The manual calls for 30k mile changes. I'm probably going to settle on a 50k interval now that I'm at 100k.

Never on newer cars, heck my truck doesn't even have one.

I haven't changed a fuel filter in years.

My shop teacher explained it really well. If you're ever pumping gas and the station runs out, replace your fuel filter since you just sucked up all the dirt in the bottom of their tank.

However, you really only need to replace it if you feel like you're losing power under heavy loads, like hills and full throttle driving, when the engine needs a lot of fuel.

Originally Posted By: Bluejay27
My shop teacher explained it really well. If you're ever pumping gas and the station runs out, replace your fuel filter since you just sucked up all the dirt in the bottom of their tank.

However, you really only need to replace it if you feel like you're losing power under heavy loads, like hills and full throttle driving, when the engine needs a lot of fuel.

That's what my teacher taught me 20+ yrs ago. Nowadays, I have to change my mindset in-tune of what's going on out there (Technology-wise). gone are the days where an inline high-pressure fuel filter that needs scheduled regular replacement; the system most automobiles run on are called "returnless" type where the only fuel filter in the system is the one inside the gas tank, and it's made of nylon mesh(strainer).

Also: most fueling station pumps nowadays have a newer, finer, most of the time 2-stage filtration system setup for fuel to catch any debris before fuel enters the customer's tank.

The only worry now still is water. Which, with E-10, is pretty much a no-brainer issue.

**Note: that brass filtering mesh inside individual fuel injectors don't count.

Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back