Subaru Synthetic 5w-30, 3300mi, 2013 STI

Status
Not open for further replies.
2013 WRX STI
Subaru Synthetic 5w-30 and OEM blue filter.
Majority of the mileage this car gets is on highway. Two trips a day, 25 miles each trip. I cruise at 80-85mph, RPM at 3k-3.5k.
Car is STOCK

Last edited:
wow... not many miles on the Subaru. Guess your on to an early start for UOAs. That copper should be starting to work its way down soon if not already.

TBN looks low in both of your samples for the very limited miles and you're using this car very easily on your commute.
Maybe find something a litle better than Subaru labeled oil?
Does this car have an oil cooler?
That would be where the high copper is coming from.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Maybe find something a litle better than Subaru labeled oil?

Penn Ultra is the current fill.

Does this car have an oil cooler?
That would be where the high copper is coming from.

Yup, and I agree.
If you compare newer WRXs with UOAs early on motor life they don't nearly get this level of copper. They don't have oil coolers
wink.gif

Last edited:
Why not do a couple of 5K runs of Ultra and then do a UOA?
This is obviously an engine still wearing in, so you'd expect high wear metals levels, although your second UOA shows much lower iron and aluminum than your first.
Lead is very low in both of these UOAs.
Does this engine use bearings without lead?
The moly level in your first UOA is insane.
This is either lab error or Subaru used moly coating liberally here and there and used a high moly assembly lube.

Why not do a couple of 5K runs of Ultra and then do a UOA?
This is obviously an engine still wearing in, so you'd expect high wear metals levels, although your second UOA shows much lower iron and aluminum than your first.

For science and because race-car!
Curiosity mainly. Not so much as a tool to run longer OCIs or detect problems. However, it gives me a good idea of what the oil's viscosity will hold up to for my car and how I drive it. I can determine an oil to use though from other peoples' UOA

Lead is very low in both of these UOAs.
Does this engine use bearings without lead?

I believe Subaru stopped using lead in their bearings 09. This car should have lead-free bearings.

The moly level in your first UOA is insane.
This is either lab error or Subaru used moly coating liberally here and there and used a high moly assembly lube.

1000+ is typical on factory filled WRXs or STIs.
Here is a link to another thread with other WRX/STI owners UOAs. A few factory UOA sprinkled in there.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2497181

My car has an oil cooler and copper was never above about 20. Try running a non girly man oil.
48.gif
Shouldn't break-in wear actually decrease instead of increase?

There may be moly in the assembly lube, but there is also definitely moly in the factory fill Idemitsu. ARCOgraphite confirmed this with ILA. And moly in factory fill uoa's on Subaru 0W-20 are typically lower than the 5W-30.

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: steve20
I use PU myself, but I do not think it is the best oil selection for this engine
How about going back to Subie 5-30?

There's not enough data on either oil to make any kind of informed decision between them. Both seem pretty good as far as Resource Conserving oils are concerned, but most Subie enthusiasts think RC oils are a little too thin for comfort in the turbo EJ engine which has a nasty habit of spinning rod bearings.

In other words, if you're picking between oils, pick the category first, that is choose either a RC oil or a HD oil, then select from within the category.

Originally Posted By: gpshumway
Originally Posted By: steve20
I use PU myself, but I do not think it is the best oil selection for this engine
How about going back to Subie 5-30?

There's not enough data on either oil to make any kind of informed decision between them. Both seem pretty good as far as Resource Conserving oils are concerned, but most Subie enthusiasts think RC oils are a little too thin for comfort in the turbo EJ engine which has a nasty habit of spinning rod bearings.

In other words, if you're picking between oils, pick the category first, that is choose either a RC oil or a HD oil, then select from within the category.

01.gif

-Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back