Control arm ball joint difference, a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 Mazda 3 that is in need of new control arms. I ordered Raybestos control arms (even though Mazda it's the entire control arm, they don't bother with just the ball joint, pressing, etc). I have received both control arms, both are the correct part number and both came double boxed from Amazon and in good shape. Here are my pictures, and the difference in the ball joint orientation is obvious.

mmi7.jpg

8kgl.jpg

hfsi.jpg

2o5t.jpg

xzdr.jpg

e7rk.jpg

qrh5.jpg

ufia.jpg

The left control arm blue protector fits perfect, the right control arm not so much. The tops also seem to be machined differently. Has anyone seen where the ball joint will be at a certain angle on one side, and different at another side? Please if you have experience with this chime in and let me know what you think. Looking at the official Raybestos pictures on Amazon, the stock picture of both the right and left control arm ball joint boot look like my right one, i.e. twisted in at an angle and the blue protector not fitting, for what it's worth from a stock photo. Please give me you opinion.

Why does it matter where the ball stud is pointed during shipping? You can just move it where you like, put it back in the box, then close the box. You can then let it sit overnight, then open the box again the next day to find the thing is pointed where you like it.

I don't see the problem. Two stereo isomers...both have balljoints with same fitting...so...what is it that you perceive as a problem?

Bolt them on and go get an alignment.

I am not saying there is a problem, and I admit I have no knowledge on the subject. I merely saw one boot appear one way, then the other boot appear quite a bit differently. If it's a non issue and can be easily manipulated during installation I apologize, but I figured I would ask as I only have a certain window for a return if this was an issue

Last edited:
There's nothing in those pictures to worry about. If the time allowed for return is the big concern, get them installed and the alignment done quickly.

Eljefino is right. You should play with it a little. Get an understanding of how it moves. Keep in mind that it can spin also, you just can't get a good enough grip on a new one to spin it with your hands.

Think about how the arm swing up and down over bumps as the wheel goes up and down relative to the car. That arm needs to stay attached to the knuckle which pretty much stands up straight all the time even when going up over bumps. The knuckle also has to be able to be able to turn.

Once you get the idea of how the ball joint moves and you have it installed, feel how the old one moves. Now you'll know the difference between a good one and a bad one. The next time someone tells you there's something wrong with your ball joint you'll be able to see with your own eyes the difference between an actual problem and a lie.

The only thing I see in those pictures that I don't really care for is the "Made In Taiwan" lettering on your control arms.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
The only thing I see in those pictures that I don't really care for is the "Made In Taiwan" lettering on your control arms.

True, the Mazda OE arms are made in Japan.

Originally Posted By: Kool1

Probably better than "made in China".

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back