Looking to buy Explorer with 3rd row, uncertain...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all
We are looking for a vehicle with 3rd row and we have come to like the Explorers. We will be spending up-to $10,000 from savings to avoid having a payment. We are looking at an 06 with 98K mi with the 4.0, But we will probably continue looking. We kinda want the V8 ESPECIALLY with the timing chain horror stories out there in the 4.0's.

I could go any year with 3rd row seating honestly as long as it is rite at or under 100K, but it seems 06 they fixed some of the issues (from what I understand).
I have been doing allot of research, and have learned about spark plug issues, manifold issues, coolant issues, timing chain issues, radiator issues among the 4.0 and 4.6.....and allot of other hit and miss stuff. My question is can somebody PLEASE clarify what year had what problems, or post the best overall Explorer within the 3rd or 4th generation to buy. Whatever one we get will probably have between 75-100k on the clock so I do understand allot depends on PO maintenance. But I'm used to JEEPs and Subaru's which generally tend to run 200-300k mi and from what I have seen most explorers are not far off. I must add that I myself am VERY good with vehicle maintenance (not just fluids) I hav worked for everything I have and understand the value of taking meticulous care of "things". ANY INFO will be greatly appreciated.

Timing chain issues on the 4.0 were sorted out by 2004. I have this engine in my 2006 Ranger and I'm very confident I can get at least 250k miles without any issues.

06 was a great year for the Explorer 4.0's. Can't speak to the v8. The 4.0 in general since its intro in 1997 has been great. it was a few bad years with the trans that caused a lot of issues especially 02-04. My 02 4.0 is running strong getting on 200k. Trans went at 150k. Had the rear springs go on me (carried a lot of loads of cement building my house; overloaded for sure) other than that been a champ. Sold it to a friend at work his daughter still running it strong.

My 97 4.0 I owned for about 205k then sold....it kept going for a while til it was crashed. Wouldn't recommend it for towing anything over 2k lbs.

that's good to hear about the 4.0, most Exp. we see have the 4.0
The other thing Ive always heard is , tranny issues, Has Ford improved this as-well ?
Part of the reason I ask is, we have a pop-up camper that we use occasionally, but we wanted to upgrade next summer. We would not be going to big maybe 15-20ft.

Ah, too bad you just missed out on buying my former 2005 Mountaineer (good riddance). I let it go for $4000.

I would not get an Explorer/Mountaineer They SUCK fuel! I got 17 MPG at best in the Mountaineer 4.0. I heard the V8 is a good bit worse and really doesn't have much more power. The 4.0 had gobs of power, way to much in my opinion unless you plan to tow then it is probably perfect.

I replaced the Mountaineer with a 1999 Plymouth Voyager 2.4L with 3 speed automatic, crank windows, manual locks. Great vehicle. 22+ mpg consistently. Runs great, good power, reliable. Simple transmission unlike the junky transmission in my Mountaineer that would have delayed slam shifts when you needed it most, in high traffic downshifts.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Timing chain issues on the 4.0 were sorted out by 2004. I have this engine in my 2006 Ranger and I'm very confident I can get at least 250k miles without any issues.

You have the OHC 4.0L V-6 in your Ranger? I thought they put only the OHV 4.0L in the Rangers. Cool...

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Ah, too bad you just missed out on buying my former 2005 Mountaineer (good riddance). I let it go for $4000.

I would not get an Explorer/Mountaineer They SUCK fuel! I got 17 MPG at best in the Mountaineer 4.0. I heard the V8 is a good bit worse and really doesn't have much more power. The 4.0 had gobs of power, way to much in my opinion unless you plan to tow then it is probably perfect.

I replaced the Mountaineer with a 1999 Plymouth Voyager 2.4L with 3 speed automatic, crank windows, manual locks. Great vehicle. 22+ mpg consistently. Runs great, good power, reliable. Simple transmission unlike the junky transmission in my Mountaineer that would have delayed slam shifts when you needed it most, in high traffic downshifts.

Wife 06 was a Mountaineer with 4.0. The mileage was not very good at all but then again its a heavy truck with AWB. Her trans was smooth and didnt search for shifts when you needed it to downshift. But they made a lot of fixes for the 06 year.

I'm not a fan of 17mpg, but I'm used to not so great MPG with my JEEPs. I feel better about having a heavier family safe vehicle than I do about 30mpg....
It would be nice if the 4.0 has power to tow because they are everywhere for sale, and can probably get a better deal than a V8 (usually its the other way around due to MPG).It sounds like 06 is the year to get, although if I can go older I could get a better deal, again with lower miles but i dont want to worry about some of the above issues...

Thanks so far guys, I should have come here first with this post rather than FORD forums !!

I owned an '06 Explorer V8 for four years, 20k to 65k miles on the clock.

TallPaul is woefully misinformed I believe. Everything I've read says the V8 has MUCH more usable everyday power than the V6. And it gets as good or better mileage than the V6 due to one extra gear (6-speed vs 5-speed).

I got 17.5mpg combined on my suburban commute with lots of lights. And we got over 20mpg on highway drives.

Unfortunately I had a head gasket leak that was fixed under extended warranty but led to a host of other problems. I'll never know if the follow on problems were just due to digging into a modern powertrain, sloppy dealership work, or just a coincidence (doubtful). Finally, faced with my first out-of warranty repair bill for $2,400, I opted for a temporary fix instead and traded her in.

I understand that '06 and '07 had a head design that led to trouble removing the spark plugs. The head was redesigned in mid-'07 or maybe '08.

I do have a coworker with an '06 V6 with 110k miles and he's had no trouble with it whatsoever. Only recently did he have to change one of the hubs.

Last edited:
I can handle sensors, hubs, wheel bearings,rotors,and such. Allot of this stuff I change as maintenance when I bring home a 100k vehicle, the wife appreciate me spending another 500-1000 on a vehicle when we bring it home
crazy.gif
BUT with new fluids, filters and things like 02 sensors brake components and some chassis components you than know where you stand and can eliminate allot of future problems and if one does arise it's easier to diagnose due to having a good platform to start.
That being said I'm not at all interested in motor, head, tranny, or other MAJOR systems replacement or failures.....
hence this thread trying to ween out the best years !

Too bad you didn't post sooner - we just traded in out 05 Mountaineer V6 last month and got $6500 for it. It was in good shape (because of BITOG) and only had a small amount of rust in the back wheel well.

The 4.0 V6 is a tough little engine in the Explorer/Mountaineer, and it pulled a friends 18' boat with no issues. The 5R55W/S trans will be quite reliable if fluid is changed on a regular basis. I changed ours first at 75k miles and it was working well at 115k when traded.

Other than spark plugs and oil changes, I did one set of front brakes and one set of rears, and one front hub/bearing. The back brake rotors were stuck on with the parking brake shoes inside of the drum, so the shoes were destroyed in the removal process. Those were a huge PITA to replace, so be warned.

The best mpg we ever saw was when it was new to us at 9k miles. 19mpg on the highway at 70mph. When traded, it was a struggle to see 18mpg on the highway. In town it was around 14mpg. Horrible in my opinion.

My only real complaint was that for a full size vehicle, the driver's seat was not very roomy for me at 6'2". Anything longer than 4 hours became uncomfortable.

Originally Posted By: wsar10
Hello all
We are looking for a vehicle with 3rd row and we have come to like the Explorers. We will be spending up-to $10,000 from savings to avoid having a payment. We are looking at an 06 with 98K mi with the 4.0, But we will probably continue looking. We kinda want the V8 ESPECIALLY with the timing chain horror stories out there in the 4.0's.

I could go any year with 3rd row seating honestly as long as it is rite at or under 100K, but it seems 06 they fixed some of the issues (from what I understand).
I have been doing allot of research, and have learned about spark plug issues, manifold issues, coolant issues, timing chain issues, radiator issues among the 4.0 and 4.6.....and allot of other hit and miss stuff. My question is can somebody PLEASE clarify what year had what problems, or post the best overall Explorer within the 3rd or 4th generation to buy. Whatever one we get will probably have between 75-100k on the clock so I do understand allot depends on PO maintenance. But I'm used to JEEPs and Subaru's which generally tend to run 200-300k mi and from what I have seen most explorers are not far off. I must add that I myself am VERY good with vehicle maintenance (not just fluids) I hav worked for everything I have and understand the value of taking meticulous care of "things". ANY INFO will be greatly appreciated.

IMO.... I would hold out too find one with a V8. Very solid performer and reliable (sure Im going too get blasted here...) and comparable mileage too the 4.0 version. For reference below.....

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2006_Ford_Explorer.shtml

I have owned the V8 version, coworker had the v6, and mileage wasnt that far apart too justify a smaller engine in a large vehicle.

Last edited:
We initially wanted the V8, I just love an all American V8 and I always figure its better to have power and not need rather than need it and not have it! My V8 JEEPS always got better MPG on the hi-way than my I6 JEEPs. I also heard the tranny behind the V8 was stronger, and I love a good classy sounding quiet rumble of a Magnaflow exhaust setup on a V8.
But allot of guys say the V6 will tow fine for what I will be doing, and we would only tow 5% of the time but still have V8 maintenance ALL the time......So we are still a bit undecided.
The V6 towing cap. is IIRC 5000lbs and V8 is 7000lbs, and I cant imagine we would buy a camper that weights 5k lbs.

Quote:
Everything I've read says the V8 has MUCH more usable everyday power than the V6.
In my experience, the 4.0 has too much everyday power. You don't even have to try and you'll be speeding in that thing.

Quote:
And it gets as good or better mileage than the V6 due to one extra gear (6-speed vs 5-speed).
Maybe so in some cases. Guy I know has one with the V8 and gets more like 14-15 mpg. Driving style and freeway vs city would make a lot of difference too. Or maybe he needs a tuneup.

3rd row seats are sort of an enigma. is the 3rd row in an explorer useful? Our MDX 3rd row was useful until the kids hit middle school. the thing is, we looked at tahoes and and excursions, and though the seats were wider/roomier, the floor was an elevated platform, and the knee room was no better than the acura, so much that the seat was not any more useful, in all actuality, than the mdx. plenty of excursions out there for $4-5k. We passed.

We ended up with a 3.8L town and country. back seats far roomier.

If you're a jeep guy, what about the XK? They should be coming down below 10 soon, at least in 2wd 3.7l form.

Originally Posted By: meep
3rd row seats are sort of an enigma. is the 3rd row in an explorer useful? Our MDX 3rd row was useful until the kids hit middle school. the thing is, we looked at tahoes and and excursions, and though the seats were wider/roomier, the floor was an elevated platform, and the knee room was no better than the acura, so much that the seat was not any more useful, in all actuality, than the mdx. plenty of excursions out there for $4-5k. We passed.

If you're a jeep guy, what about the XK? They should be coming down below 10 soon, at least in 2wd 3.7l form.

I wont buy a JEEP beyond 04 (other than a TJ or LJ) because they are not JEEP's any longer. I'm offended by the suggestion of a 3.7 2wd JEEP
grin.gif
!!....... And no MV's for me !!!

I think the Exp. will serve us well , we have an infant and a 4yo so at least for a few years we wont need a ton of room in our 3rd row. The Excursions are just to big and everybody I know with a Chevy truck or Tahoe seems to be throwing something at it once a month, I would buy a Tahoe but they are kinda big as-well for her DD and quite salty.... I love the newer Tahoe's !!

Originally Posted By: wsar10
Originally Posted By: meep

I wont buy a JEEP beyond 04 (other than a TJ or LJ) because they are not JEEP's any longer. I'm offended by the suggestion of a 3.7 2wd JEEP
grin.gif
!!....... And no MV's for me !!!

I think the Exp. will serve us well , we have an infant and a 4yo so at least for a few years we wont need a ton of room in our 3rd row. The Excursions are just to big and everybody I know with a Chevy truck or Tahoe seems to be throwing something at it once a month, I would buy a Tahoe but they are kinda big as-well for her DD and quite salty.... I love the newer Tahoe's !!

I must add we have looked int the Acura's and I would not hesitate to purchase one, they are very nice and with the honda reliability its an easy purchase.
BUT she seems to like the Exp's and Trailblazers better, much to my disappointment...... but ya know what they say "A happy wife = a happy life" !

If you need the size I have to say the Armada (2010 64k) has been stellar. Worth every dollar and it isn't cheap. Big with lots of room. Drives very smooth and quiet. I have 4 kids. A easy as pie 13year old girl, pretty rough 7yr boy, insane 5r boy, and very much crazy 2yr old girl.

Perfect for a large family....ski trips and beach trips plenty of room. All in all if we didn't travel a lot to beaches and ski resorts I would easily grab the 14 Acura MDX. Older MDX no go simply due to the smaller size and my higher expectation of better gas mileage.

That's my take. the 10 Armada lifetime MPG is 14.5. 80MPH from NY to Cape Cod and to Jersye Shore is 17-18MPH. Not bad for a HEAVY 5.6 GVW loaded up for a trip.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Quote:
Everything I've read says the V8 has MUCH more usable everyday power than the V6.
In my experience, the 4.0 has too much everyday power. You don't even have to try and you'll be speeding in that thing.

Quote:
And it gets as good or better mileage than the V6 due to one extra gear (6-speed vs 5-speed).
Maybe so in some cases. Guy I know has one with the V8 and gets more like 14-15 mpg. Driving style and freeway vs city would make a lot of difference too. Or maybe he needs a tuneup.

The Ford 4.0s are excellent motors.

I think we will take it as it comes , If we end up finding a good deal on one that is V6 equipped we will take it same goes for the V8.
Allot of good info here and I greatly appreciate it, keep it coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back