Bosch oil filters any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't hear alot about these filters. From what the box says they are part synthetic and part natural fibers. How do these filters compare to the rest of the ones out there overall?
Jason

The Bosch premium is made by the same guys that make the Mobil 1 and K&N filter, and is about a 15 micron filter, very high quality.

Good filter. Not as good as Mobil 1. As Patman said-made by Champion. I would go with the SuperTech from Walmart if its available. Less than half the price.

quote:

Originally posted by ssmokn:

I think it is safe to say that we can easily get 150K+ (and often many more) miles from any reasonably maintained engine just by doing "regular" maintenance.

Assuming you agree with what I said above, what is the point of spending $6 to $10 on an oil filter when a $2 Supertech will get you to the same end goal.

I think it's safe to say that most of us on this board simply want to get that little bit extra engine life, even if we know people can still get 150k out of dino oil and cheap filters, there are those of us who simply feel better using the premium stuff, and perhaps getting 200-250k out of our engines.

First of all 200 to 250K is not out of reach on your "average" oil and filter. Personally, after 150K I could care less. The engine doesn't owe me anything and I would most likely be ready to replace the vehicle or replace the motor.

Second... If you really want the best go to a bypass setup. You can't have your cake and eat it too with a full flow filter.

One of my vehicles is an ex-police cruiser ('99 Crown Vic). It has 90K miles of hard in service use with an untold amount of hours idling. The engine runs like a top. It got Ford Motorcraft filters and 15W40 oil (unkown brand) every 3K or so regardless of hours used.

I'd be willing to bet that a new vehicle with nothing but Walmart filters and Walmart oil would easily go 200K without ever having an oil related problem as long as the oil was replaced according to the manufactures recommendations.

ssmokn, Are you disputing that the same vehicle with better filtration/oil/maintenance would last longer? I believe that desire to improve is the reason most of us are here. That, and some amount of fascination with what used to be a simple flat Earth.
smile.gif

David

While the Supertech is good for the money, I don't believe it will filter out as many of the 15-20 micron particles as the Bosch would. And from what I understand, the Bosch premium filters are only about $6 or $7US? Not a bad deal compared to the $12 for the Mobil 1.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
While the Supertech is good for the money, I don't believe it will filter out as many of the 15-20 micron particles as the Bosch would. And from what I understand, the Bosch premium filters are only about $6 or $7US? Not a bad deal compared to the $12 for the Mobil 1.

Patman is correct. Despite the high efficiency of the STP/SuperTech filters, it is rated for filtering 20 microns, the Bosch for 15 microns, and the Mobil 1 for 10 microns.

A search here will confirm that, as this info came from another member who spoke with Champion Labs directly about the differences.

I'm no expert and I'm as confused as many others here about which oil filter to use.

I have a shelf full of everything from Amsoil and Mobil 1 filters down to the Walmart Supertech.

I think it is safe to say that we can easily get 150K+ (and often many more) miles from any reasonably maintained engine just by doing "regular" maintenance.

Assuming you agree with what I said above, what is the point of spending $6 to $10 on an oil filter when a $2 Supertech will get you to the same end goal.

If you are really concerned about filtering your oil to the nth degree go with a Walmart Supertech and a good bypass oil filter.

I'm considering this now. When I do my next oil change on my 4.6L Crown Vic (I've go another 1200 miles before I'm due) I'm going to check out my options more closely for a bypass setup and if it looks doable I'm going to contact Ralph Wood (one of the site sponsors) to obtain one of his Motorguard bypass filter setups that uses a roll of TP for the filter.

I'm not trying to be argumentative and I agree that the same vehicle with better oil/filtration will last longer.

What I am saying is that I believe that any oil and filter changed on a regular basis will get 99.9% of us (people on this board included) to mileage well beyond where we want to keep the vehicle.

I've spent plenty of money on expensive oil and filters (still do sometimes). On the other hand I have seen many first hand examples of friends going 200K+ miles without incident.

I have a friend (salesman) that purchased a '94 Grand Marquis in late '95 with 17K miles (came off lease). The dealer threw in free oil/filter changes every 3K as part of the deal. This vehicle now has almost 260K on the original motor (and still running strong). He could have bought Mobil 1 oil and filters (or Amsoil or Shaeffers or whatever) every 3K out of his own pocket but would he have been better off?

My main point which seems to be missed by all is that if your REALLY concerned about filtration look at bypass filters not full flow...

quote:

I have a friend (salesman) that purchased a '94 Grand Marquis in late '95 with 17K miles (came off lease). The dealer threw in free oil/filter changes every 3K as part of the deal. This vehicle now has almost 260K on the original motor (and still running strong). He could have bought Mobil 1 oil and filters (or Amsoil or Shaeffers or whatever) every 3K out of his own pocket but would he have been better off?

He should have used a good oil with longer intervals, then he wouldn't have wasted so much time sitting at the dealer.

[ October 15, 2002, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Ya, 20 minutes of time drinking free coffee vs. less frequent changes using your time and expense.

I always change my own oil but I wouldn't pass up the offer for free oil changes either.

Since my point really hasn't gotten across at all
dunno.gif
I'm going to let my participation in this thread die.

Use what you want (of course) and I wish you many, many long trouble free miles.

quote:

My main point which seems to be missed by all is that if your REALLY concerned about filtration look at bypass filters not full flow...

No argument there. I'm a believer, though I have yet to install one myself. Something about choosing between systems without seeing them makes it difficult. So I screw around with oversize full-flows & magnets & continue my hypocrisy. Point taken.

David

i keep my car and truck approx 5 to 6 yrs put a 100k on them, i change oil and filter every 5000 to 5500 miles have been using mob 1 and toy. brand filter, although due to time, iam going to start taking them in for oil changes. on the other hand my dad, buys a new car keeps it 9 to 10 yrs puts a 100k on it, takes it to k-mart twice a yr. for the 9.95 oil chng special. he has never had any oil related eng. problems his cars dont burn any oil. makes me wonder
confused.gif

The factor filters are normally 20 micron filters,that means that any particles less than 20 microns do not scratch rod bearings.
A 10 micron filter is better but unnecesary.
For a motorcraft FL1A(geat filters) you pay 2.77 at walmart.
For a mobil 1 filter you pay 12.99 at autozone.
10 dollar difference,say you have the car for 150,000 miles,thats 50 oil changes if you do it every 3,000.
50 x 10 = 500 extra dollars that you spent,with no need.
Also since 10 micron filters filter more small particles,they clog faster than a good regular 20 micron filter.

just my two cents

You can't compare one 10 micron filter to a different 20 micron filter though. Depending on the media used, it's entirely possible to have a 10 micron filter that holds just as much dirt as the 20 micron one.

And you can't really say that 10 micron filtering is totally unneccessary though. It might be slight overkill, as you can still get long engine life on certain engines with a 20 micron filter, however some engines with tighter clearances will show more wear. A small block Chevy has looser clearances and could get away without a 10 micron filter, but some of the newer DOHC engines would need it more. It is a confusing game sometimes.

bosch is a very nice filter. i just put it in and really, i dont know why but my engine is a little quieter at start up. i want mobil 1 but hehe settled for bosch..beats fram any day! it seems that i had to put a little more oil in than before..but only like .2 qts more. its probably just me. ne ways, me and my friend were having an argument and wonderd if filters should be changed at every oil change, i think they should..what u guys think...

btw..go with bosch..if u have the money get mobil 1. imma never go back to fram!

quote:

Originally posted by OneQuartLow:
ssmokn, Are you disputing that the same vehicle with better filtration/oil/maintenance would last longer?
smile.gif

David

Well, common sense says yes, it would last longer. However, there has never been a scientific comparison test of this hypothesis by any oprganization, manufacturer etc. so it is speculation on all parts.

Why would you want to leave all the old oil that is in the filter to contaminate your new oil?
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back