Oil Change Only, Leave Filter? Low Use Bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2001 DR-650 Suzuki, 'Duel-Sport', just over 3000 total miles. I almost sold it once, but keep it to ride with my Son. Try as I may, between work, weather, trip requirements & the rest I don't drive it much. I do plug in the battery tender at times. I put less than 500(maybe around 300) miles a year on it, using Shell Rotella 15w-40.

I usually change the oil once a year. I'm thinking this year of just changing the oil & leaving the filter in place. I would take the filter out to check & drain any oil.

Not so much for cost, but I'm thinking about putting my old filter back in. My driving has all been on paved roads, no dust. Any opinions on doing it this way, compared to putting in a new filter? Thanks.

First off, what filter are you using and what is the cost? I don't see any problem with leaving it a little longer, but I would change it before too long.

I would consider not only leaving the filter in for multiple years but the sump fill as well. Do a UOA after one year, then another after a second year on the same oil & filter.

If your very occasional rides get the oil up to full operating tenperature you could probably leave both the oil and filter in for two seasons. jmho

I pretty much do the same thing with my boat. It gets low use, but every time I take it out, it always gets up to full temp. Probably only 10 hours use per year. I change mine every 2 years and use Delo 15W-40.

Thanks, Yes I do get up to 'full temp' rides, 25 min+ at a time, highway speeds. I just bought some more 15w-40 yesterday, maybe I'll change the oil soon.

The filter is a standard paper filter. I've used several types over the years, OEM & aftermarket. I don't recall the current one's I.D..

I would not because I used to do that with my Harley and after 2 years on one filter I could not get the filter off. That sucker stuck on there like it was glued on. I did coat the rubber gasket with oil too. It took a breaker bar to get the filter off and an hour of using multiple filter wrenches. So , I am a low miler but change both every year right before winter.

Originally Posted By: rraiderr
To me changing the oil and not the filter seemed like taking a dump and not wiping.

Yes, and that's how I have ALWAYS done it. I don't think I ever changed oil without doing the filter too, in anything that has a filter. But just like the decades old way of changing the engine oil 'every 3000 miles', there are conditions where one can safely deviate from the older ways.

I often change the oil and not the filter in my race quads. I change the oil after every race weekend and usually go 4 to 6 months between filter changes. My rationale is that the filter is comparably large for the engine and I run it to nearer the OEM OCI spec before I change it. I have never seen a detriment on UOAs.

I commute daily on the 400 cc in my signature. I change the oil once a year and the cartridge oil filter once every two years. Last February when I changed the filter after two annual loads of M1 10w-40, the used filter looked like new when I threw it away.

Remember, a filter's filtering efficiency increases as it is used.

I wouldn't worry about two years with that low of mileage. My only concern is based off a VW New Beetle that I serviced a couple years ago. I don't know what caused it, but the filter was brittle. The pleats crunched when I gripped it.

I have run MX race bikes for decades, and rarely changed the filter each time, more like every fourth time. Modern four stroke MX bikes have very small crankcases, particularly Hondas, so the oil will tend to break down, and become diluted fast, while the filter continues to look clean and sound. One thing to consider, since I race Hondas, my transmition and clutch are separate from my crankcase, being that way I don't get clutch debris in my oil filter. If I ran a common crankcase/tranny bike I would change my filter much more often due to clutch debris.

Just an update, I changed the oil, Shell 15w-40. The filter looked very good, the oil was not bad either. I did take the filter out to be sure the oil was all drained. The filter went back in.

I also just changed the oil in the Son's XT-250 Yamaha, the filter was changed there too. His oil was a little darker, but not to bad. In went the 15w-40.

Yep, many motorcycles call for filter change only on every other OCI.

Could probably get away with leaving the filter in for 2 or 3 OCIs. I'd probably leave it in for 3 OCIs, then change, and inspect the old filter to see what you find.

While oil and filter are part of the same system, the reasons for changing either are dependent on different factors. Filters are changed due to the flow reduction, not due to filtering efficiency, which goes up during its life. Oil is changed due to contamination or additive depletion. The two are are not really directly related. A perfect oil change might might utilize the life of both oil and filter. With some engines or engineers, they have decided two oil changes to one filter change best utilizes both of the easily serviceable components of the lubrication system. Approaching the the failure point of either component is risky, and likely the failure point of oil is approached much more often than the failure point of the filter.

Many are fearful of extending a filter's life beyond one change even on engines where the factory recommends it. They don't like leaving the dirty oil left in the filter in the system, or worry about the unknown flow during the second filter run. They might be concerned about component deterioration inside the filter or like a short interval filter run on the off chance the media or glue tears.

If you keep a close relationship with an engine you have an idea of how much contaminants it generates and filter dissection and media analysis can tell you if the filter nears the end of its service life. Reusing filters does involve some risk and slight worry for a minimal cost reduction for a feeling of more complete resource utilization.

Is there a cost benefit? Probably not when you factor the minimal money saved per mile which is nearly insignificant. My wife's 2001 Honda Accord has 250K miles on it and the factory interval for the filter is 15K and 7.5K miles for the oil. I did 3K changes oil and filter for a long time on it, then went to 6K filter. Now I do 6K synth and 12K filter. I love how easy the change without the filter is but I often now gravity drain the filter and install it for the next change. Many say not to since they think the seal won't work but once but I've had no leaks.

I'd easily and without worry go two changes for your situation on your bike. Especially since it is easy to inspect the filter.

I'd be more concerned about slow deterioration of that filter than it needing change due to clogging. Two years should be fine. By the way, Suzuki V-stroms have the factory recommendation of oil changes every 3,333 miles and filter changes every 10,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back