Mobil 1 and K&N Flow Rate ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
VaderSS,
OK, got it, thanks! Any idea what "SUS 2000 Oil" actually is, & why they use it to simulate 5W-30 @ 34F rather than actually using a 5W-30 oil @ 34F?

More M1/K&N info:

Along with the previous M1 info, I did also get that their test oil was run at 108F, but I forgot to include it.

As for add'l K&N info, here are the "rephrased" questions I sent to K&N after my Oct 18th post:
"Thanks for getting back to me. Perhaps I can rephrase my questions. One of your main oil filter selling points is flow rate, but you don't say at what pressure & you openly state that it depends on filter size. This is why I'm asking about a specific size (HP-1002) at a specific pressure (10 psi). This size fits my two cars, & this pressure gives me a comparison against other brands. If I'm supposed to substitute the Mobil-1 filter information (since they're made at the same place), let me know & I can do that.

The other questions were based on my concern for effective filtration without introducing anything harmful to my engines. I asked about the media because you don't specify whether it's standard media (cellulose) or something better ("synthetic"?). I asked about the resin because you don't say what this does to benefit the filter, & I don't want it melting or dissolving in the harsh environment of pressurized, 200+ degree, contaminate-filled motor oil.

I understand that the specifics of your product are "trade secrets," but please understand that I'm trying to decide on which product to purchase, & I want to fairly compare your product to the others available."

And the new, improved response (Lisa Sutton was the previous K&N responder, & to whom I directed the above questions):
Mr. Kindred;

Lisa Sutton, our Tech that I closely work with has sent me copies of your inquiry as to certain aspects of our K&N Performance Gold Oil Filter.
Our filters are manufactured for K&N by a major oil filter manufacturer that produces premium filters for several major companies. K&N developed additional criteria for their high end filter to meet and we arrived at the Performance Gold Oil Filter.
I assure you that these filters have undergone extensive testing which submits the filter to conditions beyond your inquiry.

We appreciate your interest in our product and if you have any further questions please give me a call.

Rich Dwyer
R&D Manager
K&N Engineering, Inc.
909-826-4000 x4341

Now, I'm not interested enough to give Mr. Dwyer a call, but I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions ANYONE ELSE here might have.
grin.gif

Thanks for tolerating my posts...

Thanks for posting everything you find Greg, even if they don't seem to want to give out much, if any info!
smile.gif

Sooner or later we'll all get to the bottom of this! Heck, the first thing I'm gonna do when I win the lottery (after I buy my Corvette) is send a bunch of oil filters to SWI for serious testing!

The K&N folks probably have to much to do-like coming up with nebulous "feel good" information to put on their filter boxes. Really no time for the customer.
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
The K&N folks probably have to much to do-like coming up with nebulous "feel good" information to put on their filter boxes. Really no time for the customer.
frown.gif

Unfortunately that is so true with a lot of companies. They figure there aren't many people who really want to know the extreme technical details, they just want fancy packaging.

Vader,
The only thing the Champion Labs guys would say is that they test their filters at 3gpm, & that it was during the SAE filter-efficiency test (SAE HS J806N83). The SAE site link thru Purolator won't let me view the specs for this test, but I'm guessing that the 108F is part of the test requirements (along with 3gpm until 8psid is reached via contamination from the spec'd test oil). Essentially, they were telling me the M1 filters weren't tested for flow beyond what's required in that one test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back