Drive Works Air Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went into Advance Auto today and it appears that they now have started marketing a store brand of filter again. Bought one for the daily beater (2000 Taurus) for $7.99. No marking on the filter that would indicate Mfr. Looks about as good as any other AF I have ever bought. Any ideas as to mfr?

I've also been seeing remanned parts in Advance stores from Driveworks - like alternators and starters - any idea who manufactures them and what the quality is like?

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I was wondering the same.

I agree that they are well built air filters.

I went up to the store and took one out of the box. Seems like a decent filter for the price.

as for the starters and alternators...i'm pretty sure they are (re)manufactured by the same company, but the label on the boxes were changed to driveworks. just like how the calipers, master cylinders, and power steering pumps were re-labeled from oem to fenco at advance stores.

i would put my money on purolator being the one making the air filters. purolator is the vendor of choice by advance with all the oil change deals offering the purolator filters and whatnot. which is not a bad thing at all, purolator makes excellent products.

chances are the driveworks are almost identical to the purolators. i would use a driveworks without sweatin' it.

Last edited:
The bulk of the Driveworks air filters are produced in China, while the majority of Purolators are made in the US or Mexico. I believe that they are a division of Purolator, just made offshore to similar specs. Many of the filters can be compared side by side with their Purolator counterparts and differences are often insignificant, at least visually. The literature on them claims 95% single pass efficiency as opposed to around 96.5% on the Purlator and 99% on the Pure One, but that can be taken with a grain of salt.

The Driveworks alternators and starters are remanufactured in China and come with a one year replacement warranty, as opposed to the Worldwide remans which carry a lifetime warranty and are remanufactured in one of Remy's Mexican facilities. I suspect that the Driveworks are also reman'd in a Remy facility, but have no information to confirm or deny this.

I installed a Drive Works air filter on the wife's Tribute over 600 miles ago. No problems so far. The item numbers are the same as the Purolators except for the prefix letters.
, so I'm assuming that they are Purolator specs manufactured by a sub-contractor.

I bought a Drive Works over a Fram b/c of the fit in my 2006 Toyota Matrix. The Fram nor the Purolator did not fit as well in the air box and I think fit is as important as media. By the way the Fram was made in China and the outside form was hard plastic vs. a rubber/ foam for the Driveworks.

Originally Posted By: walk23
I bought a Drive Works over a Fram b/c of the fit in my 2006 Toyota Matrix. The Fram nor the Purolator did not fit as well in the air box and I think fit is as important as media. By the way the Fram was made in China and the outside form was hard plastic vs. a rubber/ foam for the Driveworks.

Purolator has many other off brands like GROUP 7, Oil filters and Air Filters also,

See,,, C/P from the Group 7 site

Group 7 oil filters are engineered and designed by Purolator with manufacturing located in Fayetteville, NC. Purolator is the inventor of the first engine oil filter in 1923, and also the first automotive aftermarket manufacturer to launch size standardizations for existing and new applications. Beginning with the first block mounted full flow spin-on filter, Purolator continues to add both new spin-on and cartridge oil filters to ensure coverage for 98% of the vehicles on the road today. These filters feature a synthetic blend media for improved performance over yesterday's filters.

Strange I cant find a Drive Works site.. However I have been told to stay away from thier ball joints.... I think for Oil filters and Air Filters, somthing easy to replace and your going to replace often its okay... but for Starts and Alternators or ball joints.. stay away from Drive works.. I have been told this from Advanced Auto parts people...

I have drive works filter for my cabin filter for in my Honda and for my Air Filter in my Honda... and they look very well made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back