Timing Belt Change Interval Months/Mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 06 Chrysler Pacifica 3.5L. The timing belt interval is 84 Mos/105k miles. 2013 makes it 84 months, my mileage is at 77k. I'd like to get some opinions if I should change it soon or wait until 100 approx. miles. It's become a 3rd vehicle with my wife's company car. It gets driven maybe 3x week. I plan on keeping it for as long as possible (thought we'd sell prior for a minivan but didn't make sense since it's paid).

Asymmetric risk, delay the repair and risk a ruined engine (interference type) versus. delaying a repair (not eliminating it, just deferring it).

Expensive risk vs. repair bill delayed ?

For a car you plan to keep why risk it ?

I've wondered about the time factor myself...
The interval called for in my neon is 105k mi, no time frame listed.
It's an '05, with 82,5xxmi. was planning on just doing it at 90k, (probably next summer)

I plan on driving this car maybe 4 more years, then make it my nephew's first car, so i'd rather not kill the engine if i can avoid it.

I'm in the safer than sorry camp. Not difficult DIY or if you are taking it in to a mechanic this work won't hit you with a heavy bill. Do it!

All said, 17 year old Camry in my sig with 68k had never had the timing belt done. I changed it out; belt was in great shape. I will do it again around 125k-130k. Cheap, feel good insurance!

Change it. Even though the timing belt is usually pretty well built, with 84 months in operation, that rubber will start dry rotting/cracking. Not a risk you want to take. At the most, if it were my car, I would aim for getting it done in the next 12 months ( seems you dont put that many miles on it ).

Originally Posted By: BISCUT

All said, 17 year old Camry in my sig with 68k had never had the timing belt done. I changed it out; belt was in great shape. I will do it again around 125k-130k. Cheap, feel good insurance!

Wow! Same belt for 17 years!
Do I need to be concerned with how old the belt is when I buy it? Example,if you bought tires that were already 3 years old but "new." I know the wear would be different but would that make a difference? I'm not sure you can even tell how old a belt is like you can tires.

I'd probably change it next spring before another hot summer cycle.
This is the reason I'm happy that most manufacturers are moving back toward CHAINS...not having to worry about the belts condition.

The 2L Hyundai Genesis Coupe motor has a chain but it's been know to stretch. Seems the Mitsubishi one is the chain to get. Much beefier.

On my 1.6L Accent motor it calls for a 60k belt change. I changed it at 40K the first time. The idler was starting to throw grease and is something the manual says to look for. But I felt it could have easily gone to 60k.

I'm at 85k now and will change it at 100k.

Originally Posted By: XtraRevsSurely
I have an 06 Chrysler Pacifica 3.5L. The timing belt interval is 84 Mos/105k miles. ...........

In my Subaru the interval is 105 months/105,000 miles. I wonder why the Chrysler time interval is shorter?

I would never take the chance.

Sometimes the belt can take the extra mileage, but pulleys, oil seals, and water pumps can't take it, and the result is a destroyed belt and major engine damage.

I know that better belts and pulleys exist since mom's '85 Maxima, but letting a timing belt go to far still scares me.

Originally Posted By: brages
Follow the manufacturer's recommendations unless you have a good justification for not doing so.

ok.. how about my cited example earlier in this thread?
my Neon.
Interference engine.
the maintenance schedule says to change the timing belt @ 105k mi. no time frame listed.
this is a car built in 2005, lived it's first 4 years/54,000mi in Dallas Tx. since Feb '10, it's been in Lima, OH, and as of now, i'm @ 82,617mi.
(averaging 8,191mi/year, 2k of which is Driving to Dallas and back on vacation (1100mi each way), only done ~3400 so far in '13)
My plan was to go ahead and change it around next summer, or 90k mi.(9 years after manufacture)

I just changed a timing belt in my recently purchased 2002 Nissan Frontier with 116,000 miles and I'm sure it was original. I bought the truck from someone who didn't use it much, but also didn't do the maintenance himself. The transmission fluid was a little burnt too.

Given that the belt wasn't cracked at all, waiting another year shouldn't hurt with your belt.

Also, definitely replace the tensioner and consider replacing the water pump if it makes sense. I get a lot of parts on RockAuto.com and really only bought the water pump because they sell a timing belt and water pump kit for the Frontier. The water pump is partially under the timing belt cover, so it made sense to change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back