What Detail Products Do You Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear good things about that stuff. You could use it on the engine as well. I prefer the spray/walk away Sonus MK though for that.

Originally Posted By: buster
I've tried quite a few products over the years. I'm currently using the following:

4. Sonus Trim & Motorkote (Engine)

Motorkote? Isn't that the snake oil engine oil additive?
21.gif

Currently, I have:
Duragloss 901 wash
Klasse AIO
Collinite 845
Mothers Clay Kit
Optimum Power Clean
Cobra Microfiber Towels, various
Absorber for drying
Invisible Glass
Diamondite Bug Eraser
Safe Scrub Bug and Tar Pad
Einszett Gummi Pflege for rubber

Just bought recently:
Ultima Waterless Wash +
Carwool Wash Mitt
303 Fabric Guard (new car with cloth)
Ultimate Guzzler towel
5" Lake Country backing plate
White, black, orange Lake Country pads
Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner/Conditioner

Will be buying:
Harbor Freight DA, unless there is a steal on a Griots before I head down there.
303 Protectant or something else for the dash/plastic/vinyl in both cars. Particularly the Prius since it is all plastic inside.

Last edited:
I would have to kill myself if I went through the list of the products that I currently have and the products which I gave away or threw them away :-(

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I would have to kill myself if I went through the list of the products that I currently have and the products which I gave away or threw them away :-(

I've probably given away $150 worth of products in the last week.

Are you sure that I don't have you beat?

Meguiar's Gold Class car wash and Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax. That's it. This ain't no hobby.

Man, this thread is the antithesis of those where people obsess about saving $2 on a jug of oil and preach Return on Investment regarding oil/filter debates.

I love it!.

I use the KISS principle. I only detail once in the fall, once in the spring. A couple of Zaino products, 303,etc.. I did splurge on some PakShack micro fiber products, but they are 8 years old and still going strong.

I think some people actually damage their paint by over maintaining it.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Man, this thread is the antithesis of those where people obsess about saving $2 on a jug of oil and preach Return on Investment regarding oil/filter debates.

I love it!.

I use the KISS principle. I only detail once in the fall, once in the spring. A couple of Zaino products, 303,etc.. I did splurge on some PakShack micro fiber products, but they are 8 years old and still going strong.

I think some people actually damage their paint by over maintaining it.

Yes, it is the antithesis. But remember, the ROI is real compared to the benefit of trying to squeeze out an extra 2K miles on a Pennzoil Yellow Bottle oil change. You will keep a car longer and better if it looks good. Of course you will receive a better price at trade-in, too. I've seen some pretty sensible lists on this thread. The durable sealants/ waxesstart at 20 bucks. a bottle of no-rinse Turtle Wax wash is $7.00 at Wal-Mart. A bag of el cheapo microfiber towels is maybe $15 bucks at Sams or Costco. Get a bottle of spray wax for another $9. I think a Harbor Freight DA for $60 is reasonable.

If you get into this deal where only the rarest and most elegant mail-order MF towels must touch your car, and you use waxes that come in a jewel case, then you spend the long bucks, as you will if you feel you have to experiment with every likely looking product out there.

Me? I'm just delighted that I've learned through the internet how to keep my car up really well without too much effort.

Grey Goose tends to score near the bottom when put to a blind taste test, I actually did this experiment with friends who always insisted on Grey Goose but converted them to Svedka and Tito's after a blind test put Grey Goose consistently only above Smirnoff. Nearly any other middle budget vodka beat Grey Goose easily.

The point? Blind tests will change the minds of those who are truly seeking quality. But you'll never change the minds of those who are only concerned about brands and price.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=79801

There's another good one I forgot that I need to add:

These are the products that I currently use and have in my arsenal:

Sealant: Collinite 845 (technically a sealant)
Quick Detailer: Adam's Detail Spray
Wax: P21S 100% Carnauba Wax
Removal: Uber Classic Double-sided Microfiber Towels
Finishing/maintenance polish: Menzerna SF4500
De-contamination: Mother's claybar (will be getting Nanoskin in near future)
DA Polisher: Porter Cable 7424XP Lake Country 6” backing plate.
Polishing Pads: Lake Country 6.5” (white, black, orange, green)
Dressing: Adam's Super VRT
One-step interior cleaner: Meguiar's Rich Leather Wipes
Interior dressing: 303 Aerospace Protectant
Tires Dressing: Adam's Super VRT
Wheel Cleaner: Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner
Engine Dressing: Adam's Super VRT
All-purpose cleaner: P21S Total Auto Wash
Carwash Soap: Optimum Car Wash
---> New ---> Wheel Well Dressing: Adam's Invisible Undercarriage Spray

The invisible undercarriage spray is really cool, it's a mist that dresses/darkens the wheel well areas making them "invisible". Since it's a polymer, it's not sticky/greasy.

Last edited:
Currently I have:

Sealant: Optimum Opti-Seal (used Opti-Coat Pro on the new car, but it was applied by a well-regarded local detailer)
Dressing: 1Z Einszett Vinyl-Rubber Care and Protectant
Wheel cleaner: Sonax Wheel Cleaner Full Effect
Glass cleaner: Eagle One 20/20
Glass treatment: Aquapel
Interior cleaner: 1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium
Leather: 1Z Einszett Lederpflege
All-purpose cleaner: P21S Total Auto Wash
Carwash Soap: 1Z Einzett Perls, Meguiars Gold Class

Lots of 1Z Einszett products on my list. Before I got married and had kids, I spent lots of time on the various detailing forums (autopia, detailcity, etc.) Every time a new product came out, I would buy it and see if it made a significant difference. After awhile, I found the 1Z products just worked without much fuss, so I stuck with them.

I picked up Wolfgang Plastic Lens Glaze and Plastic Sealant for my headlights...a good product, but expensive (found cheap at a thrift shop)...

I dont get crazy with detailing.
Every other week:

Wash with Turtle Wax or Meguirs car wash soap.
Tires and wheels also get done with this soap and a different sponge.
Meguirs quick wax or Fukken wax while drying.
Stoners glass cleaner on windows and mirrors.
Shop vac for interior carpets and seats.
A damp rag on remaining interior.

Once a year;
Clay bar with whatever bar I can get cheapest
Chemical Guys Luber
Collinite 845.

This is for both vehicles, washes on the Fusion may be extended to once a month every so often.

Last edited:
Update.

Added Sonax Perfect Finish to the arsenal. Can't wait to try it.

I've tried LOTS of stuff in the past 37 years..... This is the best I have found:

- Griots Garage DA Buffer

- Surf City Garage Wash

- Surf City Garage Beyond Clay (Awesome results!)

- Meguire's Ultimate Compound

- Surf City Garage Barrier Reef Paste (by hand) or Liquid Wax (Buffer)

- Surf City Garage Clearly Better Glass Cleaner

- Meguire's Natural Shine Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner

- Surf Ciry Garage Voodoo Leather Cleaner

- Surf City garage Dash-Away Interior Cleaner

There you go!
thumbsup2.gif

Surf City Grime Destroyer is a good pretreatment to get rid of bugs and tar. Use only prior to waxing though since it will strip protection. It's citrus based.

I used BlackFire Crystal Seal this past weekend. I'm curious to see how it holds up. I didn't use a polish before applying it. I cleaned/clayed the car and just put the BFCS on right after. Doesn't pop like Zaino, but still looks good. I applied 2 coats.

Originally Posted By: buster
I used BlackFire Crystal Seal this past weekend. I'm curious to see how it holds up. I didn't use a polish before applying it. I cleaned/clayed the car and just put the BFCS on right after. Doesn't pop like Zaino, but still looks good. I applied 2 coats.

The guys on the Accord forum use BlackFire polish and seal prior to the CS. The P&S is easy to remove according to them. They report 3 months durability I believe. Which is very good for a wowa(wipe on walk away) product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back