Saturn oil filter choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

Today I found myself at my local advanced auto parts picking up an oil filter for my saturn sl1 1999, when reaching for my beloved pureone oil filter I started to over think my choic(as we often do). I wondered if I was paying 7 dollars for a oil filter that I don't really need, when I can get a motorcraft or purolator classic for less than half the cost.

Is there any real benefit of a pureone besides a little better effiency in a strict 3000 mile OCI? I know it has a better anti drain back valve than a classic but on average I change my oil every two months , and I believe a silicone anti drain back is only better in extended fills(correct me if I'm wrong)

If you feel that a motorcraft/purolator classic is a better/more economical choice in my situation please recommend one and why.(motorcraft= better anti drain back vs purolator classic = more effiecent)

I am open to all thoughts, thanks!

Motorcraft FL-400S (probably available at Wal-Mart) is a longer filter with a silicone ADBV that should replace the 3614 size. It fit my '94 Saturn, so I'm guessing it would fit yours. Maybe someone can recommend an equivalent short Motorcraft filter.

For your OCI, I doubt the differences in filter efficiency would mean anything. Then again, I haven't studied it, and have run regular AC Delco filters for 7-8000 miles on a Silverado.

I won't ask why 3k oci every 2 months, that profile seems perfect for 5-6k dino ocis.

You are wasting your money on the P1 with that oci. Puro Classic L10241 for $3.27 everyday at Wally would easily handle 3k, as would most any filter. That short of oci adbv material makes little difference.

Slightly off topic, but if you are just going to go for the filter (rather than one of the oil change deals they are running), order online with a code and pick up in store, you will at least get the P1 below $5.

^^^Yes AAP codes can make the P1 a better buy, but it's still overkill for 3k oci unless you can get them for the cost of a Classic or very close.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
Motorcraft FL-400S (probably available at Wal-Mart) is a longer filter with a silicone ADBV that should replace the 3614 size. It fit my '94 Saturn, so I'm guessing it would fit yours. Maybe someone can recommend an equivalent short Motorcraft filter.

Motorcraft FL-910S is a shorter version of the FL-400S. It is interchangeable with the Fram 3614. FWIW I used to use an AC-Delco PF53 on a 94 Saturn SL1 years ago.

First, use a Fram 3600 instead of the 3614.
A third longer, same base and bypass pressure.
Purolator 20195..

Second, the gold Purolator PureONE is the best bang for the buck.
Better filters exist, but for the price, this one keeps your oil nice and clean...

Third, Saturn SL's tend to clog the drainback groove on the piston, resulting in ring wear and oil burning.
Either a 3000 OCI with dino or 7500 with synthetic...

Last edited:
So what kind of oil and what kind of driving conditions warrant a 3K oil change?

I just picked up a couple for $5 each with $2 rebate from Blain's Farm and Fleet, they have the Purolator Synthetic's (PSL20195) too

Hello All,

I just returned from walmart with my purolator classic L10241, thanks for your help.

The reason for my 3000 oci is because I have read that the chain tensioner is very sensitive and if the small passage ways that feed it become clogged that's all she wrote, I have also seen comments on here where people believe saturns are sludgers if the OCI is too long.

Keep in mind I have never seen legitimate proof that either of the things above are true statements.. but id rather not take the risk as this is my only form of transportation

I have not heard much about chain tensioner issues on these motors. It tends to be oil control rings get coked up and people do not add oil to their oil burning Saturn.

Here is a recent discussion on oil filter's at SaturnFans that gets into the technical reasons for better filtering and engine dynamics that create an oil burner.

Tall Oil Filter

Causes for oil consumption as I understand it:

Engine design: An engineering decision based on 5w-30 oil when it first came out. The concern was film strength and the oil control ring design was to compensate for the film strength of the 5w-30 oil of that day. Combine that with the high internal heat of these engines created the legacy of oil burners.

Some people prevented having an oil burning by changing oil often or running Synthetic oil.

Oils are different creature compared to the 1980's when the Saturn engine was being designed. How long you can run an oil before the heat causes it to coke the oil control rings is the $1,000 question? That is about the price of parts for a rebuild with a new timing set and drilling oil drain holes in the pistons.

My Saturn engines have been used and oil burners. Personally, I buy oil on sale and use the cheaper oil filters that came with the oil deal. I focus more on quality of oil to withstand heat. Summer I am running HDEO with 5w-20 Supertech to make a 30 weight oil. I have been doing 3,000 mile oil changes on my second engine. Fall I will use up my PYB and Mobil 5000. Winter I use 5w-30 Synthetic for flow and to extend oil change. I hate changing oil in cold, slush, or snow.

The last oil filter I bought was a FL-400s at Wal-Mart. I had a warm fuzzy feeling inside so it must be good.
smile.gif

Burned a valve at 219,000 miles. Newer 80,000 mile engine had whatever oil filter shop put on, a Fram (O'Reilly's house brand), and am currently using STP (Ecore). Oil consumption was trending and looks like about 1 quart per 1,000 miles.

So, I don't have an answer to your question. To me there is not enough data to say what impact the less expensive oil filter will have verses something like an extended version of a Pure One. I have never experienced decreased oil consumption using the high end filters on my already oil burning 1.9's.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
I won't ask why 3k oci every 2 months, that profile seems perfect for 5-6k dino ocis.

You are wasting your money on the P1 with that oci. Puro Classic L10241 for $3.27 everyday at Wally would easily handle 3k, as would most any filter. That short of oci adbv material makes little difference.

Saturn is one car I would change the oil often in. They will coke up the rings if not over maintained. I would run a good syn for 3, 000-4, 000. Maybe 5, 000 in optimum conditions. Also look up the motorcraft filter for a 08 ford focus. It fits Saturns to. I alays forget the numbers though. I run it on mine. It works very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back