2013 Grand Caravan transmission cooler..

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

Just discovered something a bit different on my new Dodge GC SE, Pentastar + 62TE trans.

The transmission cooler is integrated into the top of the a/c condenser core! The top 6 rows is the AT cooler. You can tell by the 6 thick tubes and see the cooler lines running to it.

Never saw this type of setup before.

Last edited:
Cool, looks like they might be addressing a serious concern that many of us have had concerning small engines and transmissions built into underpowered over-weight non aerodynamic mini vans.

Good to hear.
Mini vans and other parent mobiles are very close to my heart.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Just discovered something a bit different on my new Dodge GC SE, Pentastar + 62TE trans.

The transmission cooler is integrated into the top of the a/c condenser core! The top 6 rows is the AT cooler. You can tell by the 6 thick tubes and see the cooler lines running to it.

I have a 98 Sienna and I must say I'm liking the new Dodge Caravans with the 3.6L Pentastar engine. The only drawback is that the transmission doesn't have a dipstick, but I've heard you can install one DIY.

I hope it runs well for you.

Regards, JC.

Yep, it's got an easily accessible dipstick tube, but it's only got a twist-off cap on it, that says something like "for dealer use only".

I've read some conflicting info on dipsticks that you can purchase for these 62TEs, but no solid real-world DIY answers on that.
frown.gif

Last edited:
They started doing that with the 07 jeep wranglers. Don't work! Everytime we go trail exploring one of those 4 door wranglers pukes its atf out right after the trans temp light goes on.
Never had this problem with the 06 and older wranglers.

Pretty hard to be environmenally conscious when your atf is blowing on the ground.

Pretty sure Wranglers with a/c should stay off the trails anyway. LOL! (kidding)

Originally Posted By: Chris142
They started doing that with the 07 jeep wranglers. Don't work! Everytime we go trail exploring one of those 4 door wranglers pukes its atf out right after the trans temp light goes on.
Never had this problem with the 06 and older wranglers.

Pretty hard to be environmenally conscious when your atf is blowing on the ground.

The 02 and up use the same transmission. Must be the JK doesn't have sufficient cooling?

I have a big cooler on my XJ for off roading.

Been in LX cars since 2005. Nuttin' new about it. It's a cost saver, I bet they use it on all the slushboxes now.

Yeah, the Panthers went to the same setup 05+. Bottom of the condenser. Stupid. Before that (since '98) they had a nice, large thermostatically controlled stacked plate OTA cooler between the condenser and radiator.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Been in LX cars since 2005. Nuttin' new about it. It's a cost saver, I bet they use it on all the slushboxes now.

Regardless, it's better than an in-tank radiator ATF cooler I'd think..

3682.jpg

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Regardless, it's better than an in-tank radiator ATF cooler I'd think..

Well, that's subject to debate. Our fleet trucks run the trans and the oil through the radiator first and then into the added coolers. The thought is that this may decrease wear and increase mileage by warming fluids quickly to operating temps.

The Jeeps that are puking fluid have an issue, because newer Chrysler fan systems react to trans temps and will run the fans for that alone if no AC is on. I've run my car all day at the road course and my trans never goes over 190 even at nearly that speed!!!

The other night I was testing out the brakes and engine with repeated 0-80-0 runs until the brakes faded to near worthlessness. I took temperature readings on all 4 drums the radiator inlet and transmission pan.

This was done at night with 90 degree ambient air temperature.

front aluminum drums 310 degrees
rear cast iron drums 300 degrees
radiator inlet 206 degrees engine has a 195 thermostat
transmission pan 170 degrees

oh yeah the car is my 68 Buick Electra with 430 4bbl and th400 transmission with a standard 3 row brass radiator with built in radiator cooler. It does NOT have an external cooler.

aside from leaner jetting and a little quicker timing this car is stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back