2013 Mazda 3 Skyactiv Engine Break in

Status
Not open for further replies.
My girlfiend just picked up one new (maybe I'll get a 2014, very solid car). I'm a little concerned with the engine being broken in with the synthetic 0w20. Any cause for concern? The thought crossed my mind to just dump the factory fill an throw in a regular 5w20 like Castrol. On the other hand a lot of cars are coming from the factory with synthetics. I'm not sure how Mazda manufactures their engines, maybe they have a process to break them in even before they hit the shipping container.

I haven't been babying the engine either way and I told her she shouldn't. I think the most I've given it was 60-70% throttle.

I know there are various schools of thoughts on this subject but I wanted to see if anyone else has done it.

Don't worry about the 0w20 and I would occasionally WOT now and then.

Mazda engines are most likely run a the factory for a partial break in I would think.

They also have the high moly full synthetic oil so I would leave in the FF for at least a few thousand miles.

Also, I would NOT WOT the engine during break in. Just vary the RPM for the first 500 miles or so. Don't run at the same engine speed for long periods of time.

I like a hard break-in personally. I drove my wife's 2013 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited off the lot with 22 miles on the odometer like I stole it and was rewarded with a speeding ticket on the same day hehehe. Let's just say it hit triple digits pretty fast and if the factory fill 0W-20 and Toyota's engine can't take the heat, sayonara Toyota.

I think you'll be fine with a hard break-in in a good engineered engine like yours.

The OEM spec-ed that oil for the engine, so I would not be one bit concerned. Mazda is definitely not the only OEM that is using synthetic oil from day 1.

Originally Posted By: ThirdGear
My girlfiend just picked up one new (maybe I'll get a 2014, very solid car). I'm a little concerned with the engine being broken in with the synthetic 0w20. Any cause for concern? The thought crossed my mind to just dump the factory fill an throw in a regular 5w20 like Castrol. On the other hand a lot of cars are coming from the factory with synthetics. I'm not sure how Mazda manufactures their engines, maybe they have a process to break them in even before they hit the shipping container.

I haven't been babying the engine either way and I told her she shouldn't. I think the most I've given it was 60-70% throttle.

I know there are various schools of thoughts on this subject but I wanted to see if anyone else has done it.

Hard break in does not mean abusive.

Be nice to the driveline, no full throttle in lower gears, no hard starts. But with engine warmed and in the higher gears GET ON IT. Your reward will be an engine with more power and less blow by which means longer life and no oil consumption.

I agree with SteveSRT8. Fully warmed up engine and some heavy throttle in the upper gears for several seconds with a short cool-down between "pulls". What we are trying to do is seat the rings without abusing the engine. The break-in process is to polish and burnish the valve mechanism and other parts. Based on UOAs from several of my past engines, this can take up to 6-8,000 miles although 90% is accomplished in the first 2,000 miles. Just my take, based on my experience. Ed

As long as the oil is warmed up, anything under redline isn't abusing the engine.

Mazda does break-in their engines at the factory. Just run the FF for 5k and don't worry about it.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

Mazda does break-in their engines at the factory. Just run the FF for 5k and don't worry about it.

Any proof to that?
My understanding is that most mass produced engines are mechanically spun at the factory before leaving the building as quality check, but they are not run on their own power.

The car jockeys parking the cars probably do some break in though as they usually are liberal with throttle application.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Hard break in does not mean abusive.

Be nice to the driveline, no full throttle in lower gears, no hard starts. But with engine warmed and in the higher gears GET ON IT. Your reward will be an engine with more power and less blow by which means longer life and no oil consumption.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
badtlc said:
The car jockeys parking the cars probably do some break in though as they usually are liberal with throttle application.

Our lot boys beat the snot out of many of the cars they moved. 5 grand + hole shots to a stone cold engine were not uncommon. If the car had to be driven it was beaten.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: badtlc

Any proof to that?
My understanding is that most mass produced engines are mechanically spun at the factory before leaving the building as quality check, but they are not run on their own power.

Yes. Go to your Mazda dealer and ask the techs. If they have been to the Mazda training classes, they can tell you how many hours each drivetrain is ran before leaving the factory.

My girlfiend just picked up one new (maybe I'll get a 2014, very solid car). I'm a little concerned with the engine being broken in with the synthetic 0w20.

Mazda put the engine oil in the car when it was built in Japan.
They would NOT have put the oil in there if it would cause damage.
If you really are concerned, open the owners manual,and read the portion about enigne break in, and follow the owners manual.

BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back