What percent of QS Defy is synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know? I tried to contact QS about it but the "submit" button on their website doesn't appear to be working.

Does it really matter?
What specs does it meet and how does it perform and for how many miles vs cost.
I've used it and liked the 5w-20 in my old hemi.

I am going to try it when Im done burning up my stash, if ever possible. What kind of oci's did you run with it Clevy?

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
I am going to try it when Im done burning up my stash, if ever possible. What kind of oci's did you run with it Clevy?

I used it this spring. In my truck I changed the oil based on hours,not miles,because the truck spent alot of time idling onsite.
I was comfortable with 200 hours. I came to that number based on oil condition using the drop test on a business card.
The oil was barely blackened by that point and barely a hint of fuel however my commute was 30 miles each way,then up to 10 hours idling.
Prior to defy I tried quite a few oils out in that truck.
I used AFE for the coldest months. I did notice upon draining the AFE and putting in defy the bottom end knocking I heard and just thought it was just the way the truck sounded completely disappeared.
That knock was present with every oil I used in that truck with the exception of defy.

I have used Defy and I do like it, I was wanting to know how much synthetic was in it being that I now live in Colorado and want something that flows better than conventional in cold weather.

I just got the car a few weeks ago, 2005 malibu maxx, it has the oil in it that the dealership put in, valvoline conventional I think. 5w30.

Defy will fair as good or better when compared to VWB

Being a semi syn I'd expect it to run more miles than conventional however without uoa one can only speculate

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Does it really matter?
What specs does it meet and how does it perform and for how many miles vs cost.
I've used it and liked the 5w-20 in my old hemi.

^^ that

Originally Posted By: Clevy

I used it this spring. In my truck I changed the oil based on hours,not miles,because the truck spent alot of time idling onsite.
I was comfortable with 200 hours. I came to that number based on oil condition using the drop test on a business card.
The oil was barely blackened by that point and barely a hint of fuel however my commute was 30 miles each way,then up to 10 hours idling.
Prior to defy I tried quite a few oils out in that truck.
I used AFE for the coldest months. I did notice upon draining the AFE and putting in defy the bottom end knocking I heard and just thought it was just the way the truck sounded completely disappeared.
That knock was present with every oil I used in that truck with the exception of defy.

Clevy

1. What is the "drop test"

2. Can anyone speculate as to why defy might eliminate a knock when others could not? What, in the chemical make-up of defy vs that of AFE (for instance), would contribute to this?

I'm still messing with the '98 Accord which has recently developed a tick/knock and would love to find a remedy as simple as a change in the brand of oil.

By the way Clevy... Poured 5 oz of Seafoam thru the intact as you suggested. Was hoping for a good show but enough smoke came our during the pour to tell me something was happening. After sitting for 5 minutes, another smoke show but nothing like the videos I've seen on YouTube. Drove the car for about 20 minutes and I believe I could feel a difference in throttle performance... Perhaps it was wishful thinking but I don't think so. Car just "felt" a little more spirited... Peppier... Glad I did it and just wanted to say thanks for the suggestion.

Apologies for the change of subject ...

Originally Posted By: dparm
Curiously the 10w40 is API SN while the others are SL.

Because 10W40 does not have to meet energy resource conserving requirement nor does it have to limit it's ZDDP amount to meet SN specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back