Splicing a fuel filter on a mower - any benefits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one on my mower, power washer, and snow blower. I think they help, although it would be difficult for me to prove if someone were to call me out on it.

I have found some small inline filters (JD) that are only about 5/8" in total diameter. Fine for small 1/4" gas lines. While gas from the station is clean these days, you have dirt from gas cans and dried grass & dust can easily blow in while filling the mower with gas.

Some of the new gas cans have no cover over the spout, so a spider could easily build a nest over the winter and plop into your mower's gas tank when you next use the gas can.

Yes, it helps. It only takes one little blade of dried grass stuck in the carb float valve to make you spend your morning R&R-ing the carb instead of mowing and finishing in time for lunch.

yes, there are benefits to adding an inline filter to your mower. See my implementation on my B&S 675 series:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...476#Post2664476

For those mowers that do not have fuel filters of any sort into the carb (such as all B&S, etc.), adding a 150micron inline mesh type filter will save you all the hassle of dirt gettting into the carb and clogging it.

I bought mine (1/4" ID) online, works out to about 1.78/pc. I then to change them out every 3 yrs or so.

Q.

I just changed the filter on my rider mower - it's a clear filter and lets you see the gunk inside. Hard for me to imagine all that going through the carb with no problems.

There is already a filter screen in the bottom of the fuel tank. My guess is that it is about a 150 micron screen. But, another in-line filter wouldn't hurt anything.

I assumed there was some sort of filter "somewhere" in the fuel system of all lawn mowers. I was speaking to my father about one of my mowers and he said "it probably doesn't have a filter. Now he's the same guy that taught me back in the 80's that a single grain of sand can stick a needle valve open on a car's carb.
So do lawn mowers have some type of filter somewhere? If not then why don't they perpetually run rich or drain all the fuel into the engine from debris upsetting the needle and seat? There's alyways junk getting into lawn mower fuel tanks.
Any small engine guys have the answers?

Originally Posted By: Towncivilian
Would there be any benefit into splicing in a small in-line fuel filter on a mower, specifically a Honda HRR216TDA with a GCV160 engine?

There might be. As mentioned previously, your Honda GCV160 already has a mesh screen inside the fuel tank, and it probably does a moderate job of keeping the junk out as it is. I have a 2003 GCV160 engine and a 2001 GXV140 engine, and neither have had extra in-line filters until this year. I've never had any issues with them, but figured that my luck would have to run out eventually, so I broke down and put a filter in each one this year.

This is what I used. I got them free at O'Reillys earlier this spring, but I think they're something like 4 bucks in the store.

eBay link

fuel tank mesh screen was not adequate for the honda mowers I have known. ALL of my carb issues vanished after adding an inline filter. dusty refueling conditions were a real problem for me, and I'd have to pull the carb 3x/year. Finally got sick of it. after the final clean + filter install, no problems since. Based on THAT, all my ope now get filters. I think it's a good idea. easy to do on most mowers/ope.

Originally Posted By: Quest
yes, there are benefits to adding an inline filter to your mower. See my implementation on my B&S 675 series:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...476#Post2664476

Nice thread that I missed the first time around. I also love the B&S side-draft engines. IMO, with that design they actually got BACK to a level of reliability and durability that they hadn't had since they got rid of the manual choke "slant" carbs (vacu-jet). The pulsa-jet was a POS-a-jet if you ask me- especially the "automatic" choke version, which was guaranteed *never* to start when the engine was hot :-/

Anyway, the flathead 6-series Briggs is far-and-away my favorite walk-behind mower engine.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Also some of the inline filters you can get are only a screen inside a plastic housing. I would look for ones with media.

Meh. Screen is enough for a carbureted mower engine- you're not talking holes the size of fuel injector nozzles, you're talking BIG passages that have to flow fuel at very low differential pressures (single digit of inches of mercury). Media is OK, but its overkill, you just have to stop the logs and boulders from plugging the float valve or jets.

If yours is gravity feed type (from fuel tank into the carb), then it must be mesh type filter. If you install paper-pleats or sintered copper pellets type, you don't have good enough fuel flow to overcome the filter's media resistance) and your little project will fail as a consequence.

Q.

Yes, I believe mine is gravity fed. I will obtain a mesh type filter such as the B&S one linked earlier in the thread, then. My hose size question still stands, can anybody help out with that? I looked in the owner's manual and did some Googling but came up with nothing conclusive.

Originally Posted By: Quest
If yours is gravity feed type (from fuel tank into the carb), then it must be mesh type filter. If you install paper-pleats or sintered copper pellets type, you don't have good enough fuel flow to overcome the filter's media resistance)

Both of mine have the sintered copper pellet media and are gravity feed and run great. I prefer this type of filter to the mesh type because I believe (though unproven) that they filter better, but still allow sufficient flow to the engine.

Towncivilian, yes, 1/4" ID fuel line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back