Bosch D+ D3323 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
The filter is a Bosch Distance Plus D3323 off of a 2005 Honda Civic 1.7L. The filter was run for 9,800 miles on Pennzoil Platinum 5w20.

Here is what it looked like when I cut it open:

photo_zps1bfd2d96.jpg

As you can see, the bottom end cap fell off when I pulled the media out. There was nothing holding it to the media, and I did not see any signs of glue that had fallen off or gotten stuck in the filter media.

photo_zpscb3642e4.jpg

photo_zpsc03f4d05.jpg

The end cap that fell off contained the bypass valve.

photo_zpsa1c83b50.jpg

The filter media seemed a bit wavy, but there were no rips between the pleats.

photo_zps3c094963.jpg

photo_zps680f34fa.jpg

The can felt pretty solid, and the silicone ADBV was still very flexible.
photo_zpse04d912d.jpg

I am fairly disappointed with these results. Honda recommends a 10,000 mile OCI for non-severe conditions, so it's not like I'm doing super crazy extended drains. This car is my sister's and is driven mostly on the highway. The Pennzoil Platinum still looked dark amber on the dipstick when I drained it. I have used these filters on both my sister's Honda and my mom's Honda for a little while now. I'm anxious to see what the filter on the Fit looks like. For almost $12 at WalMart, I think there are better filters.

And fiber end caps are bad...or not. This is not a bad filter, but like you said, for $12 you can get better.

I think the Puro/Bosch filters are a little over rated, seems like a significant number develop holes/tears in the media, and or wavy pleats, now this
smiley-scared003.gif

I had been using Bosch cartridge oil filter (on and off) in my E430 for ore than 10 years, they are good filter at compatible price with other German cartridge oil filters. But I never used Bosch D+ in other cars, mainly because they price it so much more than other good filters.

I think Fram Ultra for less than $10 at Walmart is a better buy than Bosch D+ (and Mobil 1 too).

I agree with 901... wavy media isn't a condemnation in and of itself. Could be a sign of moisture or just age. As long as you don't see any signs of media blow thru, it's not a worry all by itself.

Nobody has commented on the loose bottom endcap. I thought they were the best?
Facetiousness aside, that is also not necessarily a worry as long as the potting is not breached and the assembly is held by the spring. Also, in this case, it just may be possible that this is a design feature. A production expedient... since the bypass valve is part of that endcap.

No, I don't see much here that would worry me... considering it was a 10K run. I think the filter did it's job well and all this angst is ill-founded and based on things that don't matter much.

That said, I agree with HTSS_TR... a Fram Ultra is a better filter for the money.

I agree for $12 there are better alternatives out there. And the glue you mention not seeing is actually the black resin material surrounding the element end under the bypass endcap(pic 2), just not adhered at the time of dissection. With the leaf spring holding the cap to the filter still functioned as designed. I also agree that even though the it's function was not compromised, aesthetically your BD+ isn't the best.

That said, my results with a BD+ 3323, at least aesthetically speaking, were substantially better than yours as shown in the link below. Ran it two MM oci's to 13.5k miles and was very satisfied. But as mentioned in the link, I got mine for $~3.50 on promo.

BD+ 3323/2oci's/13.5k miles

Originally Posted By: sayjac
I agree for $12 there are better alternatives out there. And the glue you mention not seeing is actually the black resin material surrounding the element end under the bypass endcap(pic 2), just not adhered at the time of dissection. With the leaf spring holding the cap to the filter still functioned as designed. I also agree that even though the it's function was not compromised, aesthetically your BD+ isn't the best.

That said, my results with a BD+ 3323, at least aesthetically speaking, were substantially better than yours as shown in the link below. Ran it two MM oci's to 13.5k miles and was very satisfied. But as mentioned in the link, I got mine for $~3.50 on promo.

BD+ 3323/2oci's/13.5k miles

Sayjac: That reference to your BD+ puts paid to my theory that the loose endcap might have been designed that way.

Again, this filter did it's job.... this is not a "failure." It just didn't do a pretty job.

Endcaps that fall off are completely acceptable as long as they are metal.
spankme2.gif

Seriously not that impressive for the price point... aren't these just glorified PureOnes anyway?

I honestly think a Fram Ultra would come out looking better and save you a couple bucks in the process.

As always, thanks for cutting and posting!

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
And the glue you mention not seeing is actually the black resin material surrounding the element end under the bypass endcap (pic 2), just not adhered at the time of dissection. With the leaf spring holding the cap to the filter still functioned as designed. I also agree that even though the it's function was not compromised, aesthetically your BD+ isn't the best.

Sayjac: That reference to your BD+ puts paid to my theory that the loose endcap might have been designed that way.

Again, this filter did it's job.... this is not a "failure." It just didn't do a pretty job.

Doubt the non-bonded end cap is a design feature ... it just came loose (de-bonded). It happens now and then, we've seen it before here on BITOG.

Yes, the leaf spring in the dome of the filter should hold it tight against the end of the media assy, and the black potting should still be sealing the ends of the pleats. But, if the spring doesn't hold it tight enough, then "theoretically" there could be dirty oil leakage to the inside core tube between the metal end cap and the black potting material.

To be clear, nowhere in my post did I mean to state or imply that the loosened endcap was a "design feature". What I did say was the glue which the OP didn't recognize as such, is the black resin shown on the media end, just not adhered to the cap at the time of dissection.

Though I have never seen it in my personal use, as mentioned there have been couple here posted in the past. The general consensus is that with the leaf spring functioning as designed no oil would bypass.

And for those protesting 'if this was a Fram' endcap. Not sure how, when if one looks an orange can design where the fiber end cap covering/sealing the centertube off (from bypass) with leaf spring/bypass also by pressure alone, is over a significantly narrower area than that covered by the resin/glue and endcap shown here.

And if having a rated holding capacity (29g) more than double that of P1, a thicker media as shown in river_rats examination, thicker can with greater burst rating makes it a glorified P1 then I suppose it is. Quite a few differences though imo.

As I said before though, while the filter function was not compromised, I'd not be pleased either with appearance especially considering the premium price. That said, my results were very different.

And if having a rated holding capacity (29g) more than double that of P1, a thicker media as shown in river_rats examination, thicker can with greater burst rating makes it a glorified P1 then I suppose it is. Quite a few differences though imo.

See I didn't know that, that's why the ? on my comment. Thanks for the info! I pay little attention to filters of such a high price point. I guess those features explain the D+ part and why it is supposed to be an extended use filter, which the PureOne really isn't IMO.

I still think an Ultra would've looked better and cost less too.

That is the same exact bypass as a PUROLATOR Classic... They have the circular Spring Look at the pic, and you can clearly see its from a Purolator Classic box.

and notice the bypass valve, its the same circular spring.
WOW,, so on the Bosch distance plus they just add a Silicone ADBV and a Silicone gasket and charge over double the $ ...

ayomu0.jpg

Originally Posted By: David1
so on the Bosch distance plus they just add a Silicone ADBV and a Silicone gasket and charge over double the $ ...

Re-read Sayjac's post above. The BD+ is a different can, different media, with much greater holding capacity. They used a common bypass valve, which works. The Chevrolet Corvette is not simply a glorified Cruze because they might use a few common parts that are known to work well...

That said, I will say that if you consider the clear plastic "box" that the BD+ comes in, you can be sure that at least some of the price premium for this filter is wrapped up, so to speak, in the packaging.

I'm the one that mentioned the possibility of the loose endcap being a design feature. Dumb comment on my part. If someone should get yelled at over that, it's me.

Remember the 29g capacity is for one particular part number, not necessarily this one. It will vary according to the physical size of the filter and the actual area of the media.

Looks to me like the DB+ and the P1 share some design features but are different filters.

Thanks for the responses. For almost $12, the filter end cap should not come apart. I hardly believe it is a design feature, as oil could potentially get past it. Contacting Bosch seemed to be a waste of time, so I will be bringing my business elsewhere.

Take your business to FRAM...FRAM Ultra is built like a tank and has full synthetic wire backed media. It also costs less money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back