Lubro-Moly Mos2 Antifriction Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JANDSZIRKLE
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Its been 4 months without a post on the subject.Time to bump it up!

May as well.... Whats everyone's thoughts of using this stuff in an older high mileage car?.... benefits? concerns? etc.

Won't hurt to try. Lots of glowing reviews. I *may* have quieter or smoother engines with it, but haven't been able to document increased mpg yet in either vehicle. Need more tanks to see. Civic has 159k and Vue 100k miles.

I wouldnt think MPG would be benefitted much by adding it,but if it can "plate" and provide protection at startup time,and maybe help lower temps a little (thru friction reduction) its well worth it.

Originally Posted By: JANDSZIRKLE
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Its been 4 months without a post on the subject.Time to bump it up!

May as well.... Whats everyone's thoughts of using this stuff in an older high mileage car?.... benefits? concerns? etc.

I added MoS2 to my 1995 Miata in the last week, and so far have about 350-400 miles on it. I purchased this car just short of a year ago, and it sat for much of the year before I bought it. It developed a gummy oil control ring issue which seems to have been resolved by a couple of OCIs with MMO. This last fill was straight 5w-30 PP until the addition of the MoS2.

So far, I've noticed that the engine runs smoother and quieter from idle speed to about 4000 RPMs, and the amount of unburned gas coming through the exhaust seems to have decreased along with the smell of burned oil. The engine note coming through the exhaust seems deeper and louder (may be due to the engine just running more quietly) and in the one tank that has mimicked the type of driving I normally do, there has been a 3-5% increase in fuel economy. Oil consumption may have decreased but it is too soon to tell.

I don't notice any downsides, and probably the major benefit is that awesome sounding burble from the exhaust is more prominent and deeper sounding, and I'm driving around with the radio off more often just to listen to that sound.

Last edited:
It has worked beyond expectations for me, not only did what everybody normally says it does but also reduced oil consumption to 85~90% by the 4th. OCI with a full can at each change.

Originally Posted By: mene
It has worked beyond expectations for me, not only did what everybody normally says it does but also reduced oil consumption to 85~90% by the 4th. OCI with a full can at each change.

Really. I've found it can help consumption as well,as a byproduct of the plating effect.
Mos2 keeps layering whereas organic moly leaves a single layer and that's it.
If you don't mind could you cut open your next oil filter. I'm tired of arco spewing that mos2 clogs oil filters.

Thanks for posting

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I'm tired of arco spewing that mos2 clogs oil filters.

So far, NOBODY who has ever made this claim has provided any proof that this actually occurred. Also, the manufacturer says that it won't occur, and I trust them. This is a good company and they have quality products.

Interested enough to try a can or two. Where do you get MOS2? Reading through the thread I saw Napa carried at one point. Went to my local Napa and they carried an engine treatment but it wasn't MOS2. Didn't even have a part number for it. Anyone sell it retail?

Originally Posted By: PhillyJoe
Interested enough to try a can or two. Where do you get MOS2? Reading through the thread I saw Napa carried at one point. Went to my local Napa and they carried an engine treatment but it wasn't MOS2. Didn't even have a part number for it. Anyone sell it retail?

NAPA still carries Lubro-Moly products, but they might have to order it from the warehouse. Somewhere, in a folder or looseleaf notebook, they have the information.

Thank you. The clerk said they could order it if I came up with a part number but they didn't have it in their computer system and their system didn't allow the computer to get on the internet.

Does anyone know about the different types of Moly? I searched and cannot find, sammy is search stupid I guess. Also, does anyone know the type of Moly in Mos2?

Originally Posted By: sammy
Does anyone know about the different types of Moly? I searched and cannot find, sammy is search stupid I guess. Also, does anyone know the type of Moly in Mos2?

The moly in MOS2 is mined from rock and is considered a solid lubricant. The moly found in most oil is the organic type.

MoS2 has only one form.
Doesn't matter if it's "colloidal" or "powder".
There can be only ONE form. (i'm not talking about organic molly).

The key is quality of the MoS2. The particles can't be too big, cause they may clog an oil filter, AND they can't be too small, because smaller particles oxidize faster.
Purity should be at least(!) 99.9%
Contaminants may do more harm than You think.

Proper size particles will not create sediment in oil, and will easily flow when oil moves.

MoS2 can be used in engines, manual trannys, open differentials, power steering and transmission boxes.
It can't be used with WET clutches, including automatic trannys, torsen diffs, wiscotic diffs, etc.
Putting it accidentialy on break discs or cluch is a f*** disaster. You can't "just wipe it" after driving with it there.

One thing with MoS2 may be annoying. When it oxidizes to MoOx AND catches water, it gets more friction. Mos2 oxidation occures something above 350C when oxygen is available (more or less) and very slowly over time.

[edit]
Please do not confuse Molybdenum with Molybdenum Disulfide!

Last edited:
Do you want me to open the next oil filter? or tell you my experience since I opened the first filter after using it the first time, the filter looked the same as before the moly just blackish but no blobs or goop of anything, and up until the last two OCI I have used M1 filters for more than 17 years.

I bought 2 cans the other day, an add-on to an order from Pelican Parts to get to $75 to get free shipping
smile.gif
My BMW has a 7 quart sump - if I'm doing math correctly, sounds like I should be adding the entire bottle? Is that correct? Should I do that every OCI, or use 1 full bottle on first application, then a half bottle maybe the next 2 OCI's??

Originally Posted By: KenO
I bought 2 cans the other day, an add-on to an order from Pelican Parts to get to $75 to get free shipping
smile.gif
My BMW has a 7 quart sump - if I'm doing math correctly, sounds like I should be adding the entire bottle? Is that correct? Should I do that every OCI, or use 1 full bottle on first application, then a half bottle maybe the next 2 OCI's??

I used 2 cans in my charger which is 7 quarts. I'm going to dissect my filter tomorrow.
Look up my mos2 charger thread. 4 pages and 5300 miles of fuel mileage

MOLYBDENUM - 4365
BORON - 94
SILICON - 40
PHOSPHORUS - 15
IRON - 13
SODIUM - 10
CALCIUM - 1
COPPER - 3
MANGANESE - 1
NICKEL - 1
SUS Viscosity @ 210°F - 61.7