New tires for '12 Elantra

Status
Not open for further replies.
My BIL's 2012 Hyundai Elantra is coming up for State Inspection(by the end of September). In need of tires, 215-45-17, he's ready to replace the OE Hankook's.

He loves the car and wants to put on some really good tires that will do well in the SNOW TOO! The Elantra currently has the OE Hankook Optimo H425's...I Think!

I suggested the Contintal DWS as they seem to be top rated for all areas including SNOW as he drive a good distance to work each day in the winter.

His budget only maxes out with the Contintals so, I also suggested(at a lower cost) the Genreal AltiMAX HP in his size. Comfort is also a concern during the others seasons.

He'll be buying from DTD, which has some deals now but, not their best deals.

What are your thoughts?

Any information about DTD Labor Day Sales?

Any other tires suggestions for this car?

TIA,
CB

Last edited:
How many miles on the current tires? My friend has 50k miles on his Hankook Optimo's and the tread still looks good. But he'll replace them in a month or two since the car is an 08 Saturn Astra.

I'd wait till the labor day sale at DTD. Last year I scored a set of Hankook Ventus V2's 205-55-16 for $240. Minus the $100 rebate = $140 plus install at Walmart = $200 and change. Very happy with the tires after almost one year. I had them price match one of their stores which was an hour and half away. At first the rep didn't want to but a manager did it for me after I sent him the link.

Add to the list the Pirelli P4's as another option.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: satinsilver
How many miles on the current tires? My friend has 50k miles on his Hankook Optimo's and the tread still looks good. But he'll replace them in a month or two since the car is an 08 Saturn Astra.

I'd wait till the labor day sale at DTD. Last year I scored a set of Hankook Ventus V2's 205-55-16 for $240. Minus the $100 rebate = $140 plus install at Walmart = $200 and change. Very happy with the tires after almost one year. I had them price match one of their stores which was an hour and half away. At first the rep didn't want to but a manager did it for me after I sent him the link.

Add to the list the Pirelli P4's as another option.

The OE Hankook's H425 or H427(I'd have to check) are burnt out after ~29K miles, so these are not an option. What Hankook's did you have?

I have P4's and love'em but, I don't think they come in his size though, I'd have to double check.

Yes, he'd like to wait for the Labor Day sale if there is one this year. Do you know if DTD is having a LD Sale?

EDIT:
The tires are H426

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure DTD will have a labor day sale. They have in the past and I'm sure they want to sell a bunch of tires. They had sales earlier this year for Memorial day.

I have the Ventus V2's but they are only so so in the snow. They are a performance all season. As you mentioned the Generals would be another contender. I think they just came out with a new model that I'd check out.

I think that he'll wait for the LD Sale
smile.gif

And yes, the tires are Hankook Optimo H426 with less than 30K miles and will not pass inspection.

I put the Cooper Zeon RS3-A's on my beetle a couple of months ago and they are great. Smooth ride, track straight, great wet traction and quiet. They are the top rated performance all season tire by CR. The treadlife mileage warranty is only 40k so that may be a drawback to you. They are listed at $95 at treaddepot.com, you can tack on $10 per tire for shipping and use that for a price match at DTD.

Originally Posted By: slug_bug
I put the Cooper Zeon RS3-A's on my beetle a couple of months ago and they are great. Smooth ride, track straight, great wet traction and quiet. They are the top rated performance all season tire by CR. The treadlife mileage warranty is only 40k so that may be a drawback to you. They are listed at $95 at treaddepot.com, you can tack on $10 per tire for shipping and use that for a price match at DTD.

Have you driven them in the snow in MI? Snow traction is very important in an All-Season Tire without buying extra dedicated winter tires.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
My BIL's 2012 Hyundai Elantra is coming up for State Inspection(by the end of September). In need of tires, 215-45-17, he's ready to replace the OE Hankook's.

He loves the car and wants to put on some really good tires that will do well in the SNOW TOO! The Elantra currently has the OE Hankook Optimo H425's...I Think!

I suggested the Contintal DWS as they seem to be top rated for all areas including SNOW as he drive a good distance to work each day in the winter.

His budget only maxes out with the Contintals so, I also suggested(at a lower cost) the Genreal AltiMAX HP in his size. Comfort is also a concern during the others seasons.

What are your thoughts?

TIA,
CB

If he wants the best possible winter traction in an all-season/weather tire, then of course the Nokian WR G-2 or G-3 is tops. I do not want to know how much a set would cost in that size, though. (I've wanted to try the WR for many years and several vehicles; just can't justify the price here.)

I would suggest switching to 205/50/17, for better selection, slightly better snow traction and slightly better ride comfort. In that size, besides the Nokian WR there are the GY Assurance ComforTred, the General Altimax HP, the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus and the Continental Pure Contact Eco Plus.

All are worth thinking about, based on what online sales and rebates are available around Labor Day into September. No tire that size will be cheap, let alone a quality tire like the ones listed above. Good luck.

P.S. As I recall, he is leasing this car, right? If he owns it, maybe think about switching to 205/55/16 on steelies for winter.

Originally Posted By: faramir9

What are your thoughts?

TIA,
CB

If he wants the best possible winter traction in an all-season/weather tire, then of course the Nokian WR G-2 or G-3 is tops. I do not want to know how much a set would cost in that size, though. (I've wanted to try the WR for many years and several vehicles; just can't justify the price here.)

I would suggest switching to 205/50/17, for better selection, slightly better snow traction and slightly better ride comfort. In that size, besides the Nokian WR there are the GY Assurance ComforTred, the General Altimax HP, the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus and the Continental Pure Contact Eco Plus.

All are worth thinking about, based on what online sales and rebates are available around Labor Day into September. No tire that size will be cheap, let alone a quality tire like the ones listed above. Good luck.

P.S. As I recall, he is leasing this car, right? If he owns it, maybe think about switching to 205/55/16 on steelies for winter.

No, the tires don't need to be the best, just very good and he doesn't want to spend money on smaller wheels/tires mentioned above. The OE Hankooks were fair to mid-land so, anything is better than that. And the Conti DWS will most likely be his choice. These are all his decisions!

My Prius is currently wearing a set of Michelin Primacy MXM4 in the 215-45-17 size. They have been absolutely phenomenal in every way for a grand-touring all season tire. Traction is excellent, and ride quality is superior to the previous set of Energy Saver A/S. Noise levels are also quite low, and rolling resistance seems to be average to above-avg.

I'd highly recommend a set of these to your BIL.

No, the tires don't need to be the best, just very good and he doesn't want to spend money on smaller wheels/tires mentioned above. The OE Hankooks were fair to mid-land so, anything is better than that. And the Conti DWS will most likely be his choice. These are all his decisions!

Sounds like a plan. I would still not feel confident about winter traction on W-rated ultra-high performance all-seasons in that size, no matter their ratings at TR. Apart from that, the DWS looks fantastic.

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
My Prius is currently wearing a set of Michelin Primacy MXM4 in the 215-45-17 size. They have been absolutely phenomenal in every way for a grand-touring all season tire. Traction is excellent, and ride quality is superior to the previous set of Energy Saver A/S. Noise levels are also quite low, and rolling resistance seems to be average to above-avg.

I'd highly recommend a set of these to your BIL.

We'd have to look at the price when he's ready to buy!

Originally Posted By: faramir9

Sounds like a plan. I would still not feel confident about winter traction on W-rated ultra-high performance all-seasons in that size, no matter their ratings at TR. Apart from that, the DWS looks fantastic.

Good luck.

Again, we'll review this next week when we get together. I am still not overlooking the General AltiMAX HP but, their winter traction isn't as good as the Continental Extreme Contact DWS and the AlitMAX HP reviews are more mixed than the DWS which are more consistantly GOOD!

We'll see! Thanks guys
smile.gif

Go with the Conti EC DWS. The set on our Fit did well during a late-season snowstorm. On the OE tires that car was a fishtailing mess in the snow. With the DWS's, the fishtailing was only evident at 60+ mph. Snow traction was nowhere near as good as the dedicated snows that do not fishtail one bit, but pretty good for an all-season.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Go with the Conti EC DWS. The set on our Fit did well during a late-season snowstorm. On the OE tires that car was a fishtailing mess in the snow. With the DWS's, the fishtailing was only evident at 60+ mph. Snow traction was nowhere near as good as the dedicated snows that do not fishtail one bit, but pretty good for an all-season.

He's still leaning that way, thanks!
If only the tires were 205-55-16, the choices would be greater! Going to wait to see if DTD has a good Labor Day Sale
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TrevorS
DTD has a special right now with rebate double dipping.

$100 off Best and $75 off Better.

Thanks! I've been checking everyday. One day there $50 instant savings, the next day, it gone. Another day, there's another special with 3 Pre-Paid Visa Cards. I'll look TODAY!!

Well, a bit of a surprise!

My BIL chose the AltiMAX HP's instead($428), hmmmmm! Price was the deciding factor and the Generals were rated better than the Hankook Optimo H426's that came as OE(which he didn't have much issues with anyway...til the end of winter).

He didn't sign up for the DTD CC(extra $30) as he just doesn't want another CC to deal with. But, the AltiMAX do come with a total of $125 in PP Cards which he may use toward the install at W*M.

I would have prefrerd that he get the Conti EC DWS but hay, it's not my money!

Last edited:
Well, a bit of a surprise!

My BIL chose the AltiMAX HP's instead($428), hmmmmm! Price was the deciding factor and the Generals were rated better than the Hankook Optimo H426's that came as OE(which he didn't have much issues with anyway...til the end of winter).

He didn't sign up for the DTD CC(extra $30) as he just doesn't want another CC to deal with. But, the AltiMAX do come with a total of $125 in PP Cards which he may use toward the install at W*M.

I would have prefrerd that he get the Conti EC DWS but hay, it's not my money!

These were also the last 4 tires in the TX distribution center. AZ & OH were out of stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back